$30.00
lord atreides
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys! I know, there are a lot of geeklists for solitaire wargames, BUT I usually run into lots of advices which are aimed towards "old" games (B-17: Queen of the Skies or Carrier or even Where There Is Discord: War in the South Atlantic) there are really intriguing and appeal me, but then i go to Amazon/FLGS and find nothing (living in Italy ). So I'm going to ask for some advices about somewhat new/ aviable wargames. Hereby I will list some games and why I don't feel like going in that direction

Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ? and all the COIN serie: I feel like they are more "confrontational" than "war" games. I love Labyrinth, and even enjoy playing it solo. The other COIN, i felt like spending more time doing their actions and following the chart then playing the actual game.

Field Commander: Rommel I've never tried, but I feel like it's more about managing your resources/reinforcements then actually playing the war aspect.

Thunderbolt Apache Leader I've loved playing it solo. And probably it's one of the best games I've ever played. Just, I feel like going for a "bigger view", and a single or a couple of airplanes/choppers are too "small" in my mind. Even a single Ship/Submarine would feel adequate, I suppose!

Mage Knight Board Game is one I actually play and like. It's an adventure with fighting, but I don't feel like war.

Hope I've been clear enough, but I'll try to answer to any question of the good people who will want to help me!!!!

Thanks arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Boucher
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as an accessible and currently available wargame that is fantastic solo, I would look no further than Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition) with the solo expansion: Conflict of Heroes: Eastern Front – Solo Expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryel C.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
D-day at Tarawa or D-day at Peleliu would definitely provide a different experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reconquista by White Dog Games is fun and at a strategic level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"Arrange whatever pieces come your way." Virginia Woolf
mbmbmbmbmb
Late to the party here but what about Invaders from Dimension X!? It is PNP if you want to save on international shipping. Also in bag format so not s big heavy game (in any sense)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 a German Sub is bigger than an Apache, so I guess this qualifies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Hakansson
Sweden
Vasteras
Sverige
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I would suggest Enemy Coast Ahead, where you run an entire historical military operation, from planning to execution. It is by far the best solo game I have ever played. Great theme, tense situations and with a very realistic, historically accurate feel to it without being overtly complex or fiddly. It has a great rulebook, amazing art and plays smoother than milkshake.

Another game I like is R.A.F.It is fun and has a lot theme, options and replayability. A very good game. You can even play both sides of the same conflict and it includes a two player game as well (which I haven't tried yet.

Enemy Action Ardennes
is an operational wargame about the Wacht Am Rhein offensive, from the same designer that made Ambush and RAF. As the latter it includes an Allied solo game, a German and a two player game as well. But even though it is well designed, has gorgeous components and tense situations, I am personally less fond of solo games where one side is run by an AI, that I in turn have to spend more time in handling, than I spend on making ny own decisions. To me, that is just unneccessary work for litle payback since I would rather just resort to the classic style of switching sides and playing to the best of my ability with the information that side might have. I am including it nevertheless since it is a good game, just not for me.

As you, I don't enjoy the Field Commander series for the reasons you mentioned. Where There is Discord is a great game, but very expensive and might be hard to find. Go for the others instead, that will give you more value for your money. I own and play Conflict of Heroes, but it too suffers from the player having to run the AI. To be fair, it is quite a bit less fiddly than EA Ardennes and the AI is quite intuitive. However, I prefer playing it face to face, even though I am a bit tired of tactical games at the moment. Getting the base game, the solo expansion and if you really want some replayability, the fire fight generator, then you unforunately have to sink a lot of money into the system.

I still find that the top two, as well as the Leader games and B-29 are the best solos. The diffrent D-Day games are good, and quite interesting, but frustratingly unbalanced. To win, you have perform much better than your side did historically. It is a foray in pure masochism, a sort of boardgame vrsion of old school arcade games. One mistake, one moment of bad luck and you are usually done. I still beleieve there is something there, for sure, but frankly, I prefer playing them co-op with friends. It is less depressing that way.

For operational wargames I do the classic "I have no friends" options with games that are highly suited for solitary play. It also has the plus that it makes me learn the game rules for when I and my regular opponents have time to get together.

Good luck in finding a game you will enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Hakansson
Sweden
Vasteras
Sverige
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steel Wolves is also really good, it is epic like nothing else, but the drawback is that it requires you to have a mancave where you can leave it set up during sessions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ilskengravling wrote:

Enemy Action Ardennes
is an operational wargame about the Wacht Am Rhein offensive, from the same designer that made Ambush and RAF. As the latter it includes an Allied solo game, a German and a two player game as well. But even though it is well designed, has gorgeous components and tense situations, I am personally less fond of solo games where one side is run by an AI, that I in turn have to spend more time in handling, than I spend on making ny own decisions. To me, that is just unneccessary work for litle payback since I would rather just resort to the classic style of switching sides and playing to the best of my ability with the information that side might have. I am including it nevertheless since it is a good game, just not for me.

That looks really interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Van Verth
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For something a little different, there's Navajo Wars, but it's out of print and doesn't seem to be available for a reasonable price. For a similar theme from the same designer, you could wait for Comanchería: The Rise and Fall of the Comanche Empire -- should be out in early 2017.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not knowing whether this is you r preferred period, perhaps The First Crusade may interest you.

It is a mag game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darcone wrote:
D-day at Tarawa or D-day at Peleliu would definitely provide a different experience.

+1 for D-day at Tarawa. It is a great solo war game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.