Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say "yes" to fire and then move, and "probably" to all three.

Units capable of fire can fire. Then, units can move. Then they do melee. However only Reiters and Dragoons have an offensive (not in parentheses) melee strength and a fire strength. Other units can only fire and then move (fire units), or move and then melee (melee units).

The second page of the rules, [3.34] Definition of Terms, ends with a confusing sentence that states "A unit may never be both a fire unit and a melee unit, although it may have both a Fire Attack Strength and a Melee Combat Strength." To me, this sentence implies that a unit can't do both, but there is no follow up to this in any of the rules that come later having to do with fire, movement, melee, or the sequence of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Goss
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks I appreciate it! To allow units to fire and not move is very much like the description result, except I suppose they can engage in Melee if they are Reiter after they move they can fire.

Not sure how I'll play it most games do not allow you to move after you fire. I'm not used to the old school games rules and their ambiguities. I'm old-school but I came into the hobby shortly after SPI went under.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fire then move then melee sequence is the heart of this game. The fire units soften up the defenders and disrupt some top units, thus changing their stacking order and hopefully weakening those stacks. Then the melee units move in and attack.

A good attack by some strong units from a side allowed to stack 3-high starts with a fire attack by the top unit. Then the stack moves to melee while changing their stacking order to have the fire unit at the bottom (where he can't participate) and the pike units at the top to get a heavy 1-2 punch at the defender.

The grognards with long experience in this game like Kim Meints do say that you can't do all 3 (fire, move, and melee) with the same unit due to the rule [3.34] I mentioned previously. (I didn't get that but checked on consimworld for their wisdom) so I'll stand corrected on that.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.