BattleCON: Devastation of Indines» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Character: Alexandyr Winter, The Arctic Monk rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leighton Reopelle
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Found some more people in my area to play with, so my room-mate and I are taking more cracks at making custom characters. His came out pretty darn well, my new one...not so much, so I'd like some help getting him fixed up.

To explain a bit: The concept originates from a game, and the particular class my character has on it excels at blending varying disciplines together into cool combos. Each discipline has it's own unique style (though two, Owl and Wolf, I had to BS cause they didn't exist). I'll explain the concepts as I go.

UNIQUE ABILITY: Chilling Palm

Every time Alexandyr hits an opponent, he gives them a Chill token. An opponent with a chill token has -1 power and -1 priority, and can have a maximum of 3 at a time. An opponent can ante the tokens away, but they cannot make any other antes.

Red: BEAR

Range 0
Power 2
Priority 0

On hit: Push the opponent up to 2 spaces.

Note: Bear Discipline is a very strong, decisive discipline that works well for staggering enemies, so I tried to emulate that here.

Yellow: HARE

Range 0
Power 0
Priority 2

Start Of Beat: Advance 1 space. End of Beat: Retreat 1 space.

Note: Hare is good for being super-quick and hard to hit, hence the moving in and out. Also great for rapid, repeated strikes.

Blue: FOX

Range 0-2
Power 0
Priority 0

On hit: Opponent cannot move for the rest of the beat.

Note: In this particular game, Fox Discipline was used for the 'magic' abilities, that created spots of ice through various techniques. Tried to emulate that with a slowdown type effect, and the range that is typical of other mages in Indines.

Green: OWL

Range 0-1
Power 0
Priority 1

The nearest opponent has -2 priority on their next turn. After Activating: Retreat up to 2 spaces.

Note: This I had to just 'wing'. I see it as the 'owl' swooping back and watching their opponent, to anticipate their movements.

Orange: WOLF

Range 0
Power 1
Priority 1

Before Activating: Move directly adjacent to the nearest opponent.

Note: Again, winging this one. I see it as 'hunting down' the opponent, similar to stalking prey.

Base: CHIMERA

Range 1
Power 3
Priority 4

Reveal: Copy the style in your Discard Pile 1 and add it to this attack pair.

Note: This is a key for this class in the game I'm basing it off. It allows you to blur techniques between styles seamlessly and allows you to do longer combos than normal, so I used Kehrolyn as a base to get that nice 'style blurring' effect.

Playtested him once, and he feels kinda overall 'eh'. How can I improve?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Strong stats, high mobility... but no good hit-confirm, which a brawler like this is pretty desperate for.

I'd consider shaving off some Priority from Bear and adding in a bit of Stun Guard. That would give Alexandyr a way to ensure a hit against fast opponents.

Range 0
Power 2
Priority -2

Stun Guard 2

I'm also confused about exactly how the UA works. Does the opponent get -1 Power and -1 Priority for EACH Chill token, or does the opponent get -1 Power and -1 Priority as long as he or she has at least one Chill Token?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aquadragon97 wrote:

Tie more of his cards to his Unique Ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leighton Reopelle
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
tankbard wrote:
aquadragon97 wrote:

Tie more of his cards to his Unique Ability.
Okay, but -how-? That's the point in posting in this, vague comments like this aren't entirely helpful if I don't have a suggestion on how to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leighton Reopelle
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
kurthl33t wrote:
Strong stats, high mobility... but no good hit-confirm, which a brawler like this is pretty desperate for.

I'd consider shaving off some Priority from Bear and adding in a bit of Stun Guard. That would give Alexandyr a way to ensure a hit against fast opponents.

Range 0
Power 2
Priority -2

Stun Guard 2

I'm also confused about exactly how the UA works. Does the opponent get -1 Power and -1 Priority for EACH Chill token, or does the opponent get -1 Power and -1 Priority as long as he or she has at least one Chill Token?

Okay, I see. I had considered adding Stun Guard 2 to him in some aspect, and originally it was going to be with his token (Then I remembered Lord Eustace does that with Soak).

His UA is worded really badly, I'm sorry. It was meant to be -1 power/priority PER token, which in retrospect might be a bit too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aquadragon97 wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:

Range 0
Power 2
Priority -2

Stun Guard 2

Okay, I see. I had considered adding Stun Guard 2 to him in some aspect, and originally it was going to be with his token (Then I remembered Lord Eustace does that with Soak).

His UA is worded really badly, I'm sorry. It was meant to be -1 power/priority PER token, which in retrospect might be a bit too much.

Ah, okay. Well, first off, that does seem too strong. I would word it as "As long as an enemy has at least one Chill token, they get -1 Power and -1 Priority."

Second, the UA puts the opponent at a disadvantage the next turn unless they can ante it away without consequences. You know which Style also puts the opponent at a disadvantage next turn?

Owl!

So, why not reword Owl to something that utilizes the Chill tokens?

Green: OWL

Range 0-1
Power 0
Priority 1

Before Activating: The nearest opponent gets a Chill token.
After Activating: Retreat up to 2 spaces.

You can also add in ways to reference Chill tokens without directly utilizing them. Check out how Fox changes when you have it utilize Chill tokens:

Blue: FOX

Range 0-2
Power 0
Priority 0

Before Activating: Opponents in range that have at least 1 Chill token cannot move for the rest of the beat.

Same basic ability, but now 1) Alexandyr has to make sure to position himself correctly to capitalize on the effect, and 2) encourages him to stack Chill tokens with his UA and Owl.

Hope that was helpful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aquadragon97 wrote:
Okay, but -how-? That's the point in posting in this, vague comments like this aren't entirely helpful if I don't have a suggestion on how to do it.

Here are some examples. The numbers aren't quite right, but those are easier to tweak than the special effects. I think Hare-Fox Chimera might be a little too strong as written here. Actually, Hare Chimera goes with pretty much everything. Hm.

Actually the longer I think about it the more I dislike this stat block too. Still, there might be some ideas there.

I recommend coming up with effects and concept before planning out the numbers. There are also very few character in BattleCON that have a straight +2 in basic stats without some kind of drawback.

Your proposed character's UA is somewhat similar to Rexan's (from Devastation), and you could look to his design for more ideas. I intentionally omitted the "Opponents who anted [Chill] this beat are in range" because this character doesn't really need any more hit confirm help than is already available through movement effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm... I think I might go a different direction with the Chill tokens, using them as a resource that he builds up over the game and he can spend to power up some of his attacks. So, I'd probably go with:

UA: Alexandyr Winter uses Chilled tokens. Whenever Winter hits with an Attack, he gains 1 Chilled token, up to a maximum of 3. During the Ante Phase, he may ante a Chilled token to give the opponent -1 Priority this Beat.

After that, you should look at having something that lets you generate additional tokens, something that lets you spend the tokens in different ways, and finally something that is good even if you don't have any tokens.

Since you want each Style to emulate a different style, I would say to go all out with that theme. So, Bear would give Stun Guard and additional Power, but would take a Priority hit, while Hare would be the opposite (-1 Power, high Priority, and a good Movement ability). I would probably make Fox and Owl the two that would use the Chilled tokens in different ways - from the description, I would probably use Fox as a Control ability, allowing you to spend Chilled tokens to block off movement (either forcing opponents to continue moving if they move onto them or, more simply, just blocking off particular spaces), and Owl using the tokens to expand the range (either increasing the Maximum or decreasing the Minimum).

That would leave Wolf for the extra token generation. There are a couple of different ways to handle this, from returning tokens spent that turn, to adding another token on hit... But, the one I would probably go with is gaining an automatic Chilled token at the end of the beat.

That leaves Chimera, which I like the idea of it combining two styles into one. It should definitely be on the weaker end, as you'll be getting a bunch of stat boosts and special effects from it.

For the finishers, I would probably have one boost the number of Chilled tokens he can get, while the other gets a massive Power boost for each of the Chilled tokens that you spend on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leighton Reopelle
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
UA: Alexandyr Winter uses Chilled tokens. Whenever Winter hits with an Attack, he gains 1 Chilled token, up to a maximum of 3. During the Ante Phase, he may ante a Chilled token to give the opponent -1 Priority this Beat.

Red Style (BEAR):

Range 0
Power +1
Priority -1

Stun Guard 2

On Hit: +1 Power if a Chilled token was anted this beat.

Orange Style (WOLF):

Range 0
Power 1
Priority 0

Before Activating: Move up to 1 space.
End of Bat: Gain a Chilled Token

Yellow Style (HARE):

Range 0
Power -1
Priority +2

Before Activating: Advance 1 space.
End of Beat: Retreat 1 space.

Green Style (OWL):

Range 0
Power 0
Priority 1

Before Activating: You may spend 1 Chilled token to increase the range of this attack by 0-1.
After Activating: Retreat up to 2 spaces.

Blue Style (FOX):

Range 0-2
Power 0
Priority -1

Start of Beat: You may spend up 2 Chilled tokens. Your opponent cannot enter squares equal to the tokens spent near you this beat.

Base (CHIMERA)

Range 1
Power 2
Priority 3
Reveal: Apply the Style in your Discard 1 to this attack pair as a second Style.

FINISHERS

Calm Before

Range 1
Power 4
Priority 7

Reveal: For the rest of the game, Alexandyr can have 2 additional Chilled Tokens (Max. 5), and gains an additional one each time he hits.

The Storm

Range 1-2
Power 3
Priority 4

On Hit: You may spend any number of Chilled Tokens. If you do, this attack gets +2 power for each token spent.

So, I playtested a lot of the other adjustment (Have not played with this yet), and Jared's UA was my favorite idea thus far, it actually fits a lot better of what I was trying to accomplish. I'm going to be doing some playtesting with this a bit later, though I feel like it still needs adjusting and I'm just not sure how. I'm also not really happy with his Finishers, but it could just be me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.