BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions

Subject: Gen Con Auction - Pre-Registration Required rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Katie Fountaine
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
If any of you are planning on selling items at the Gen Con Auction, don't forget to pre-register. There is no longer any onsite data entry starting this year, so we won't be able to sell any items that are not pre-registered on our website before the deadline - July 31st.

www.livegameauctions.com

For questions, contact me at genconauction@gmail.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Caraher
United States
Greencastle
Indiana
flag msg tools
This is my first time attempting to sell at a convention and I have a bunch of questions. I'm mainly selling '70s-'80s era wargames (SPI, Avalon Hill, etc.) that have been punched and played but are in good condition.

My questions are:

1. I'm selling because I no longer have time for the hobby. Can I drop off items for sale without paying the full Gen Con registration fee? Even 1 day is likely to devour the full amount of any sales.

2. Auction vs. consignment: What I'd like to do is use the option whereby items that don't sell go to the consignment store. But it appears that the only option is to have them sell for the reserve price. I will not be able to pick up any unsold games (I'll be out of town Sunday). Looking over past auctions, it looks like I'm generally better off putting things in the auction, and the advice I've read suggests no or low reserve prices work best. So... any generic suggestions on pricing/sales venue strategies?

3. Speaking of which - are there any good lists out there of in-demand titles that I should be aware of? I have no good sense of the value of my collection. (I am definitely a player, rather than a collector, and the condition of my games reflects that.)

4. I assume commissions are based on the actual sale price, so that I'd actually be losing money on anything that sells for $2 at auction or $1 in the consignment store. Is that correct?

Thanks for any advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smart move. Onsite Registration was a disaster.

Pete (approves)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caraher wrote:
This is my first time attempting to sell at a convention and I have a bunch of questions. I'm mainly selling '70s-'80s era wargames (SPI, Avalon Hill, etc.) that have been punched and played but are in good condition.

My questions are:

1. I'm selling because I no longer have time for the hobby. Can I drop off items for sale without paying the full Gen Con registration fee? Even 1 day is likely to devour the full amount of any sales.

2. Auction vs. consignment: What I'd like to do is use the option whereby items that don't sell go to the consignment store. But it appears that the only option is to have them sell for the reserve price. I will not be able to pick up any unsold games (I'll be out of town Sunday). Looking over past auctions, it looks like I'm generally better off putting things in the auction, and the advice I've read suggests no or low reserve prices work best. So... any generic suggestions on pricing/sales venue strategies?

3. Speaking of which - are there any good lists out there of in-demand titles that I should be aware of? I have no good sense of the value of my collection. (I am definitely a player, rather than a collector, and the condition of my games reflects that.)

4. I assume commissions are based on the actual sale price, so that I'd actually be losing money on anything that sells for $2 at auction or $1 in the consignment store. Is that correct?

Thanks for any advice!
1. Pretty sure you need a badge. They made me go get one before I could drop off last year. Not positive though.

2. My experience at most auctions is that getting the bidder cards up in the air is your primary goal. Even a starting price of $5 discourages enough people that you don't really get a buzz for your item. Once the hands are up, they start counting pretty fast, and it's rare for people to raise their cards AFTER the initial bid. Accordingly, I price everything at $1. I lose big sometimes on some great games but some of the crap surprisingly sells well, and I think it evens out over the auction.

3. I've never been able to figure out the whims of gamers from a demand standpoint. They let rare games sell for nothing and will occasionally bid up games that you can find on clearance racks in the dealer hall. Hard to say why, but I think overall you want to sell products that are uncommon at auction.

What I can tell you is that the supply side of the auction will be full of certain kinds of games, including:

A. Games that have recently gone on clearance at OLGS.
B. Older games that have recently received word of a reprint.
C. New releases (people hoping to get their money back before interest fades).
D. Recently discontinued games (Game of Thrones LCG was rampant last year)

For all four of these, I'd recommend not selling at auction. You don't want to be selling items that people look up at the offerings table and see 4 or 5 of...they just don't bid if they know more are coming. Where that really nails people is on new releases...those people hope to get a price at or near MSRP that they paid, but often end up selling for about half that or less.

4. Yes, I lost money on 3 items last year. I chalked it up as paying money to find a game a new home!

Pete (is a regular at the Gen Con auction)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
I'd like to thank skutsch and plezercruz for half-inspiring this color-coordinated geekbadge.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb

First-timer here.

Can I assume at some point there will be an advance list available of what will be offered at the auction and generally when those items will be offered?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Newhausen
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the past, that hasn't been posted until after the start of GenCon, but that was because they didn't know what all they were going to have until after on-site registration ended.

No word yet if there will be any quicker turnaround this year, as far as I'm aware.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Fountaine
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Pete answered most of your questions already, but I will confirm that yes you do need a badge to sell any items in the auction. If you can not come on Sunday, we will mail you a check for the sale price of any items that sold (less commission on that sale price as you mentioned.)

Any items left behind become the property of the auction and are usually donated to charity or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Fountaine
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
There will not be a list posted before the convention. We have a general idea what people have pre-registered so far, but items are still being registered. Even once registration closes on the 31st, we have no idea whether all of those items will actually come in to us, or on what day the sellers will arrive. It makes our scheduling very challenging.

I do hope to go over the list before the show and have a tentative schedule in mind, so once we see what our early intake is on Wednesday we can have the Thursday schedule posted pretty quickly and the other days up as soon as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Fountaine
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Three more days to get your auction items pre-registered!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.