$5.00
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just traded for the base game and a few expansions:

1Oath of the Outcast Hero and Monster pack
2Alric Farrow, Zachareth, and Kyndrithul Lieutenant packs
3Forgotten Souls & Nature's Ire co-op packs

I read through the rules and I think I get most of the basic concepts and mechanics, but I am not quite sure how you incorporate the Hero and Monster packs or the Lieutenant packs.

Part of the problem may be that I'm a regular Imperial Assault player, and these seem to work differently in IA vs. Descent. That said, here are my questions...

(1) Questions about Hero and Monster packs

Guessing you can use the heroes in any adventures, correct?

Can you use the monsters as open groups in any campaign?

What about the scenarios that come with these packs... are they meant to be one-off missions, or can they be included in other campaigns?

(2) Questions about lieutenants

Seems their key role (besides replacing some tokens for minis) is to select JUST ONE lieutenant (with threat deck) to add to any campaign. Is this correct?

Are there other uses of the lieutenants? For example, since Alric Farrow is in the base game campaign it says I cannot use him or his threat deck in that campaign.... is that correct? So, I'd have to use him and his threat deck in another campaign?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monster packs: You use the monsters from the monster packs as you would any open group. You choose open groups based on the trait symbols for that quest (dark, cave, water, etc.). So any monster pack group that matches the symbols for a given quest is game.

The scenarios can be played as one-offs or incorporated into a campaign via Rumor cards. You don't seem to have an expansion with a Rumor deck, though, so may not be able to do that at this time.

Lieutenants:
You add one Plot deck to a campaign. One of the cards in it lets you summon the lieutenant into a quest, as an agent. You can ALWAYS use any Plot deck in any campaign. You can NEVER summon an agent into a quest where the lieutenant version of the character appears, or into an interlude or finale.

You can SOMETIMES not be allowed to use an agent at all in a given campaign, typically the big boss of the campaign (for instance, in Shadow Rune you cannot summon the Zachareth agent, ever; you could summon Alric in a quest where only Splig appears from among the lieutenants, though). You can even buy the Summon card if you want, you just can't use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your quick reply!

Good to know I can use any monsters as open groups (assuming they have the appropriate symbol). Between that and the new heroes, it seems like the M&H pack will add some variety to the game until I get more.

Based on what you wrote I went ahead and skimmed the rules for other expansions. Looks like I do have 1 rumor card and 1 advanced quest card from OotO. Probably not worth adding for now, and I think I'll just stick with the base campaign until I see how things go. I'm sure I'll pick up some other campaigns if I end up liking it.

Is there an easy way to tell which lieutenants you can and not be used in a campaign? Looks like Kyndrithul came out quite a bit later so maybe I'll just use him for the first campaign. Or, would you skip using an agent in the first campaign as we get the hang of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check their summon cards; they'll say if an agent is out for that campaign. And if you have Heirs of Blood check the rules; I think Lady Farrow is out in that one.

It might be best to skip in the first campaign, since you'll be learning rules as you go and they do add a few. Or decide after the intro quest. Plot decks are a boost for the OL, so using one off the bat might end up frustrating for the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also, monsters have 2 terrain types. They can only be used if they match at least one in the current encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah; to clarify my post above, they need to match at least one, but don't need to match both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Mc
msg tools
The only thing I'll add to what JH said is that there are two Lieutenant packs that have one other rule to them. Raythen and Serena's packs also allow players to use Raythen and/or Serena as a hero in a campaign. The restriction to this is that you cannot use them for the Labyrinth of Ruin campaign (because they are both Allies or Lieutenants for it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tony,

While I think you should be able to incorporate the quests in OotO into your main campaign, I think I would do the following:

Start playing without a plot deck and without the full campaign. Instead, play a "tiny-campaign" consisting of the "First blood" -quest of the Shadow Rune campaign, and then the two quests of the OotO expansion. This should be 2 or even 3 evenings of play and will alow everyone to familiarise themselves with the game concepts. You can try stuff and make mistakes without being stuck with them for an entire campaign.
Believe me, you will have a lot of questions and will encounter a lot of discussion among players. It's good to have the basics down when you really get into it.

About the lieutenant packs (which I do recommend once you begin the actual campaign), you can use a lot more than people realise. At first, every plot deck can be used with every single campaign. The only restriction is with the "summoning cards" which summon your agent figure on the board. These cannot be used when the agent itself is featured in the quest you are playing. Also, the main villain of the campaign cannot be used within that campaign. In your case, that would be (small spoiler)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Zachareth
for the Shadow Rune campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.