Subject: Boss Monsters Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
OOB DOOB
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
This review covers Boss Monster 1, 2 and the item deck.

Players: My 2 boys (elementary aged) and I. Each boy has a boss monster set, so having 2 sets worked out well for us. They select which set to play with and off we go. While sets can be mostly combined, we've opted only to combine bosses, so that my kids retain a feeling of ownership.

This game is pretty quick to get into, and while it has theme/color, is super fast to setup, which for us, is REALLY important. Playtime is on avg between 60-90m, which makes it perfect for an after dinner game when it's too late to get into a movie and yet we can push bed time out a minute or two. House Rule - We don't have to play to completion--the player with the most heroes by bedtime wins!

The positives:
1. It's a fun game with practically no setup time; my kids can set it up on their own and play with or with out me (dads, you know what I'm talking about here). This is EXTREMELY important to me.
2. Plays extremely fast, with plenty to do
3. The theme and style are attractive and are easily imagined
4. There isn't a lot of rules to argue over
5. Strategy and stratagem both drive win conditions
6. Fun to act out hero deaths and tell the story as the boss monster.
7. We had no issues playing the game and our first round was relatively correct (very unusual for us).
8. Box contains nice plastic card holder, so super easy to put away.
9. Price is right!

The nits:
1. We play by boss monster 2 rules exclusively. The rules are complete but still a little rough around the edges. This is par the course for most games...I usually end up making cheat sheets.
3. While boss monster 1 & 2 can be combined in many ways (bosses, rooms, spells), the Heroes have to be kept separately and I'm not sure the Heroes are uniquely identified.

We view the items as essential. I hope future expansions include items!

This game is very well done and we have enjoyed numerous sessions slaying heroes, taking damage and trying to upset other player's apple carts. Kudos to the designers!! We look forward for future expansions.

Who are the players--do you fit our mold?
To help readers identify if this review would help them make a decision, in comparison, other games we enjoy are Marvel Legendary, Ogre (Designer's Edition), Dr Who Card game and the usual MB faire. I myself am an old school ASL'er w/a splash of OCS. Suffice it to say, I've seen a range of complexity. These days, I want simple, fast and minimal mess. I don't want 3d models, tokens, oddly shaped fiddly bits (Legendary -- GEM STONES, WHY?), or anything that sits in between us and the game. Ogre is about as far as I'll go...because, well..it's Ogre! A small box that holds all the content is PERFECT.

Right now, because of the conceptual simplicity and speed, Boss Monster is seeing the most action this summer, with impromptu games one or two times a week. After breakfast, waiting for the rain to go away so we can jump back in the pool...yeah. Perfect.

Putting on my non-dad hat, this seems like it would be fun to play while waiting for the hopelessly lost and eternally late friend to make an appearance. Once the gangs all there though...folks looking for a really crunchy campaign may need to look elsewhere? There are some pretty decent board games that would be a better selection.

For us -- active imaginations, inspired by the text and pictures, and creative rooms/spells/heroes/monsters...this game is just the ticket! So thanks to the designers and the kick starter supporters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.