No Man's Land: Trench Warfare 1914-1918» Forums » Rules

Subject: NML solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice that BGG lists this game as 1-2 players, but a quick look through the rule book says that it's a 2 player game.

Are there solo rules available for NML?

I kinda prefer games made with solo rules. I can't be depended upon to play fair for both sides.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
I float through life unharmed, depressed but fulfilled
mbmbmbmbmb
ronnietucker wrote:
I notice that BGG lists this game as 1-2 players, but a quick look through the rule book says that it's a 2 player game.

I kinda prefer games made with solo rules. I can't be depended upon to play fair for both sides.

Thanks!

It has no rules for solo play. Like most wargames that don't, it only relies on you the player to be fair NML even has some kind of fog of war, so there's even less variables for fair play there !

I manage to never root for a side or another when I solo-two-play laugh Same here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eawyne wrote:
ronnietucker wrote:

Thanks!

It has no rules for solo play. Like most wargames that don't, it only relies on you the player to be fair NML even has some kind of fog of war, so there's even less variables for fair play there !

I manage to never root for a side or another when I solo-two-play laugh Same here.

Thanks for the info!

I always end up in a 'me and them' situation.

I might go for this anyway. I really want a good WW1 solitaire game that covers the full 1914-1918, but can't find one. I hope NML can be 'the one'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you read my review on the matter ? cool

I highly recommend the game. I don't know how well you fare in wargaming, but I thought it had a great learning curve and many options available. It's more a narrative/educational game, and in this regard, even played alone the game can be really fulfilling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eawyne wrote:
Have you read my review on the matter ? cool

I highly recommend the game. I don't know how well you fare in wargaming, but I thought it had a great learning curve and many options available. It's more a narrative/educational game, and in this regard, even played alone the game can be really fulfilling

Your review is what made me give this two player game a second thought.

I grudge paying big bucks for a 2+ player game that has no solo rules, but this game is pretty cheap. So I'm definitely willing to give it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't know if you can find it easily on your end ? At the very least, there's still some english versions available here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eawyne wrote:
Yeah, I don't know if you can find it easily on your end ? At the very least, there's still some english versions available here.

I managed to get a second hand copy in the UK. So I'm pretty happy with that find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great cool

If you catch up on the game - which I hope you do ! - let us know. And go help the dev by providing him with some reports for balance ^^

As a matter of fact, the last two hours were spent playing the game laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eawyne wrote:
That's great cool

If you catch up on the game - which I hope you do ! - let us know. And go help the dev by providing him with some reports for balance ^^

As a matter of fact, the last two hours were spent playing the game laugh

Lately I've been recording my game plays and putting them on YouTube. I've done videos on D-day at Peleliu, RAF 1940, Silent Victory, and a couple of non-war games. Once I get most of the rules down I'll more than likely do some videos on NML.

I'll no doubt screw up some rules, but that's why I do the videos. So that people will shout 'hey, stupid, you didn't do...' which helps me learn. blush

But, note to dev: if you have solo rules for NML, I'm a willing guinea pig!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnauld DELLA SIEGA
France
FRANCE
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Hello Guinea Pigs, the rules will be ready before the end of the week (perhaps tonight)! Your enthusiasm was an excellent source of motivation !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arnauld wrote:
Hello Guinea Pigs, the rules will be ready before the end of the week (perhaps tonight)! Your enthusiasm was an excellent source of motivation !!

Fan-TASTIC!

I should get my NML tomorrow and start reading through the rules. Definitely looking forward to your solo rules.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arnauld wrote:

Well that's really great ! I'll probably wait until I'm done with all the scenarios on solo-two plays before I try again on real solo Maybe even play tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnauld DELLA SIEGA
France
FRANCE
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The main difficulty is to set-up the defender's units. Starting from scenario 8, there are too much things (light MG, dugouts, pillboxes...) to include in the defensive system.

If any idea or suggestion for a rule better than mine, feel free to PM me !

The current solo rules can be used from #1 to #7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as soon as the rules are available, I'll have a look

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnauld DELLA SIEGA
France
FRANCE
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/135010/solo-rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arnauld wrote:

Awesome!

BIG thanks for thinking of us solo players, and taking the time to write these up.

Once I have the rules from the box nailed I'll be giving these a try.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.