Subject: Propose to split to Oware and Kalah rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
The BGG Wiki page doesn't exist (as of the time of this message). Perhaps you were thinking of the Wikipedia articles? I think the problem here is that lots of people make mancala sets, but there's no uniformity of rules. Wikipedia lists something like a hundred different names for the game; variant rules are probably more numerous. From what little I've seen, rule variations shade one into another, and you can play essentially the same rules with different numbers of holes. Dividing the set of rules into only two variants would be misleading, and dividing it into the full set of known rules--well, with under a thousand ratings, you could end up with few or no variants getting enough ratings. I also think the unified entry promotes discovery of other rule-sets.

Maybe the way to make it happen (if possible) is to put the rules you think are best for "Oware" and "Kalah" on the Mancala page, write some reviews and session reports, and see if you can stir up interest in those two particular variants.

But, I'm not optimistic. Liar's Dice has major published variants in Borg's Liar's Dice (aka Bluff) and Perudo and the recent Pirate's Dice. These variants have definite designed, copyrighted rules; but the presence of previous public domain variants, most akin to poker dice, seems to inhibit splitting the entry. And that's only a few different versions, not the hundred of Mancala.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mancala
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mancala_games
(Many more references from Wikipedia.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Hmmm...that's a tough one. I think that there are certain games (mancala, mah-jongg, and poker spring to mind) as games that should probably be just grouped together as "families" instead of splitting them out. I've got a book with nothing but mancala-like games here on my desk, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the majority of people looking on BGG are looking for "mancala" as the majority of BGG visitors think of The Game as Mancala. This is one more area where perception is more forceful than truth.

Another precedent is Icehouse. The Icehouse system and the game Icehouse share a game page, with a link to the Icehouse system wiki page. Confusion was cleared up by creatng game pages for the more popular games in the Icehouse system, and refering seekers to those pages via wikis and Geeklists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
PDX Westside
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea at first blush but let's think about it a bit.

In general, variants should probably be grouped into a single entry for the system/component set. Unfortunately, the line is based on the arguable definition of what is a variant.

For Oware/Kalah, I think the line is there, but subtle. Though there are many Mancala variants, most fall into a few major families, which could benefit from unique game entries.

Can anyone think of more examples like this of a single component set having multiple game entries? Off the top of my head there are at least a few:

- Traditional card games which use a standard deck of cards

- Games played with a go-ban

- Games played w/checkers on a checkerboard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Icehouse and piecepack pieces too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Gering
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
The address of the BGG wiki is:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Mancala_family

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I posted the following on another thread, but I think it apples here as well:

"I think it should be remaned to Mancala Games, just as there is a "Traditional Card Games." The top Mancala games (like Oware) should have their own entries; just like Poker, Bridge, Pinochle, Gin Rummy, etc. have their own entries. "Mancala Games" would be for all the other Mancala Games not played as much."

I also want to thank Sonja. I have a few books on Mancala games, the best one being Larry Russ' The Complete Mancala Games Book. None of them have the rules that came with the board I bought here. Now I know that game is Kalah, and it looks like it was created here, which is why it is not in any of my books. I have always played Oware, but I have always known it as "Wari."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.