GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,298 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Single player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitchell Lurcook
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I played a game last night with the solo rules, and man that was a good game, I lost by like 6 points on normal.

However Im not 100% sure I was playing properly. Is there any place to get clarification on the way the AI units move.

I dont have everything out at the moment, but for example, when workers move and there are workers ion the base. No workers are around the base at all, but there are a few further up the board and I have to more a worker.

Do I take one from the base and put it up (say near the factory) with them? or woule I put it near the factory.

I dont know why its so hard for me to grasp the way these work..

Also what happens if the AI is already in the factory and surrounding it with workers and what not... where do things move?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You always start with the worker closest to the base. It is not possible to be closer that on top of it - so you move those workers first.

Workers move into locations that have the most surrounding units. Close to the factory is only a tiebreaker. The never choose locations with other workers (but may choose locations with mechs or their character) and never adjacent to enemy units.

If there are more that one maximum number of nearby units, choose the on closest to the factory (tiebreaker 1) then the ubiquitous reading order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tal342 wrote:
You always start with the worker closest to the base. It is not possible to be closer that on top of it - so you move those workers first.

Workers move into locations that have the most surrounding units. Close to the factory is only a tiebreaker. The never choose locations with other workers (but may choose locations with mechs or their character) and never adjacent to enemy units.

If there are more that one maximum number of nearby units, choose the on closest to the factory (tiebreaker 1) then the ubiquitous reading order.

+1

Also, there is at least one video on the Automa game. I think it's a play through, although he had a follow up video that corrects a rule mistake that he was making so make sure you pay attention to that. I haven't watched the video, but it could be beneficial if you're having a hard time grasping the movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Rules forum is probably the best place to put this question. There are several Automa questions posted there. There are two main situations with Automa workers:

1. The Automa gains a worker because of the "Automa gains stuff" line. These workers ALWAYS go to the Automa home base.

2. The Automa moves a worker because of the "Move Worker" symbol on a move line. For these workers, you read top to bottom on the reference card:

A. Find the worker nearest the Automa home base. Do not pick it up yet. Tiebreaker is reading order.

B. Find destinations to move to. These can be any territories in the neighborhood of any Automa unit. Think of it as "territories your workers/character/mechs are on, or are touching". Study the "Neighborhoods" rule page if needed.

C. Of those destinations, see which are valid move targets. They must have no enemy units, and no workers besides the worker you selected in A. A worker "moving" to its own space can be a valid move.

D. Pick up the selected worker.

E. Choose the destination from B. that is in the neighborhood of the most Automa units, and isn't in the neighborhood of enemy combat units. Tiebreaker 1, closest to Factory. Tiebreaker 2, reading order.

F. Move the worker.

All of that may seem complicated, but study the example on Automa rules page 6 and it should eventually click.

In summary, here is the rough concept:
The Automa is trying to spread its workers away from the home base and towards the Factory. It wants to keep workers close to its own units for protection, and teleports workers like a fungus growing out. It keeps a max of 1 worker per territory to maximize scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calvin chow
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got 3 solo games in, and I had the same feeling trying to grasp the rules... It helped me to think of the Automa faction as a blob that's trying to center on the Factory... I think it's okay to make a few mistakes in the edge cases without really changing the outcome--since the Automa has so few restrictions... Just keep the Automa's main point goal in mind (maximizing territories under control) and the Factory-fixation makes sense...

I printed out a second deck and played against 2 Automas last night... Worked great! The two factions kept clashing at the Factory--which added a bit more time pressure... Seemed like they got one more star on balance (each getting 2 fights, but neither reaching max power) versus one Automa. This was the first of my solo games where I didn't get six stars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like another thing that can be easily forgotten in the solo game is that lakes are treated like any other territory once you get past the "crossed-out water" symbol on the AI card. Often, a lake is going to be a valid placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WolfVonhinslik wrote:
So I played a game last night with the solo rules, and man that was a good game, I lost by like 6 points on normal.

However Im not 100% sure I was playing properly. Is there any place to get clarification on the way the AI units move.

I dont have everything out at the moment, but for example, when workers move and there are workers ion the base. No workers are around the base at all, but there are a few further up the board and I have to more a worker.

Do I take one from the base and put it up (say near the factory) with them? or woule I put it near the factory.

I dont know why its so hard for me to grasp the way these work..

Also what happens if the AI is already in the factory and surrounding it with workers and what not... where do things move?

Thank you all of you for answering the questions.

As one of the designers of the Automa rules I'm subscribing to the Scythe subforum here and will try to answer any questions you might have. That said I'll have very little online time until after GenCon, but as you can see there are luckily many other friendly and helpful people who answer rule questions here .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Scholes
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morten,

Your automa is great! I will try playing against two. Probably even better.

I suggest making a complete second set of automa cards, minus instructions, as an optional purchase when the expansion comes out. I might buy more than one.

I will be interested in what is done to give the next two factions the same level of power when there are no delaying rivers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bankrupt wrote:
Morten,

I suggest making a complete second set of automa cards, minus instructions, as an optional purchase when the expansion comes out. I might buy more than one.

I will be interested in what is done to give the next two factions the same level of power when there are no delaying rivers.

I think an extra set of Automa cards is confirmed as a September purchased. That is why the Automa card PDF was removed from files, so you can no longer print an official-looking set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Chandler
United States
Burke
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The automa is so great that I'm getting at least 2 more decks when they come on sale. Solo with 3 Automa? I'm in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
bankrupt wrote:

The Automa is still restrained in the early game, but there are a few fun new wrinkles with the new factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bankrupt wrote:
Morten,

Thanks, I'm happy that you like it. Happy players are the reason we're doing this. Well that and the fact that we're having a lot of fun ourselves making the Automas .

GAF is right that some extra Automa decks will be put up for sale. Right now I have no clue how many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.