Subject: Hughes vs Suffren campaign game Q - typo in reinforcements list? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there some typos in the reinforcements list?

After Sadras, the British get Exeter, Sultan and Magnamine, but Exeter appears in the starting fleet for the Sadras scenario.

After Sadras, the French get Artesien and Brilliant, but both appear in the starting fleet for the Sadras scenario.

After Providien, the French get Flamand and Bizarre, but both appear in the starting fleet for the Sadras scenario.

From comparing the at-start forces listed for the individual scenarios, my guess is that none of these (except Sultan and Magnamine) should be in the list of after-action reinforcements.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike,

I don't think there are any errors. It's been some time since I've looked at these, but recall that some ships were withdrawn and some were historically damaged initially but returned to the next battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry; it was bad of me to suggest errors. There aren't many posts here so I was wondering whether the campaign rules got played much.

But I still don't understand what it means to say that, after Sadras, the French have Artesien and Brilliant available as potential reinforcements? Those 2 ships were in the French fleet for the Sadras battle.

(Does it mean that, should the French player spend a VP to roll successfully for reinforcements, that those 2 ships refit/repair for free? Does it mean that, should the English have captured them, then they come back to the French side??)

(The same applies to the English AAR of Exeter listed after Sadras, and also to the French AAR of Flamand, Bizarre after Providien. The AARs listed after Negapatam and Trincomalee are all genuinely new ships).

The living rules playbook is here: http://www.gmtgames.com/shipofline/Ship_of_the_Line_RULES-20....

thank you in advance,
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike,

IIRC, you only get the ships if you roll for them (i.e. there was a chance of them having been withdrawn at that point). If you do get them, they're at full strength (I don't think that was clear).

If a ship is captured, it's now part of the enemy fleet and you cannot get it back (short of recapture).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike B,

I confess I've not played the campaign, but I see what you are saying in terms of ships already present being on the reinforcement schedule.

FWIW, the record seems rather confusing in terms of which ships were where

Most comprehensive info I could find was this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Sadras#The_rival_fle...

I think on the whole it doesn't matter for the campaign, if a ship is already present, then it can't be a reinforcement.

Moreover, for Cuddalore, the campaign reinforcement chart can't replicate the number of reinforcements that arrived (6 British, 4 French). So I'd tend to simply bring on ships as they historically arrived.

I'd also suggest that Suffren should only be able to form Group Commands, not Formation, to reflect the difficulties in the French fleet command structure. His second in command actively plotted against him!

If Nelson had a Band of Brothers, Suffren had a Band of One.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.