Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Cocks
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Having drop a few £££ on X-Wing I've been avoiding Armada but as it's Star Wars I knew I couldn't resist for ever.

However I'd like to keep it canon(ish). If money is no object (although it is) what would should I be looking at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything is canon. Do you mean seen-in-movies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Durand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Firstofall, buy the ships you like, no more than one copy of each.
You'll try the game, and after few games, you'll be able to chose your future ships easily.
It depends on the way you like this game : tournament? Fun? both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cocks
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hipsu wrote:

Ah. After 'Force Awakens' I though a lot of stuff became 'Legend' or something as it not longer fitted the backstory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
woodmeister wrote:
Hipsu wrote:

Ah. After 'Force Awakens' I though a lot of stuff became 'Legend' or something as it not longer fitted the backstory.

A lot of stuff did.

Most of what's in armada is not (the only thing I'm not sure of off the top of my head is Garm Bel Iblis.)

But don't worry, your favorite characters from droids are in there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chau
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally from an aesthetic point of view, the only one that does not fit would be the Rebel Assault Frigate Mk II. All of the other ships invoke a 'Star Wars' feel (if that makes any sense) but the Assault Frigate just looks too different. There's a reason why people refer to it as a 'dolphin'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Redeemer31 wrote:
Personally from an aesthetic point of view, the only one that does not fit would be the Rebel Assault Frigate Mk II. All of the other ships invoke a 'Star Wars' feel (if that makes any sense) but the Assault Frigate just looks too different. There's a reason why people refer to it as a 'dolphin'.

Ugh. Yeah it's pretty ugly. it looks okay on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cocks
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

I have no clue what you're typing about.

<Quick Google search later>

What is seen cannot be unseen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chau
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Redeemer31 wrote:

By itself, I don't mind it. However when you place it next to the other Rebel ships, it's just too large and bulbous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Redeemer31 wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
Redeemer31 wrote:

By itself, I don't mind it. However when you place it next to the other Rebel ships, it's just too large and bulbous.

It looks goofy next to a moncal cruiser which is tiny compared to it.

My biggest gripe is the engine though. Star wars ships just tend to have a lot of engines, and this one doesn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
woodmeister wrote:
Hipsu wrote:

A lot of stuff did.

Most of what's in armada is not (the only thing I'm not sure of off the top of my head is Garm Bel Iblis.)

What?? there's a TON of Canon stuff in Armada... Vader, Ackbar, Motti, Piett, X Wings, B Wings, Y Wings, TIES, Interceptors, Bombers, Han, Luke, Lando, Boba Fett....... the list goes on... much much more than just one character!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
simondtaylor wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
woodmeister wrote:
Hipsu wrote:

A lot of stuff did.

What?? there's a TON of Canon stuff in Armada... Vader, Ackbar, Motti, Piett, X Wings, B Wings, Y Wings, TIES, Interceptors, Bombers, Han, Luke, Lando, Boba Fett....... the list goes on... much much more than just one character!

If you read what I said, I said most of what's in armada did not become legends.

So we're in agreement!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Scipio
Germany
flag msg tools
scifiantihero wrote:
Redeemer31 wrote:

The scale is the worst of it. Armada has a mostly good scale (hate the Cr90s scale though) but the Assualt Frigate is bad, as it really dwarfes the MonCals.

Will have to get a ~1/7000 replacement form Shapeways I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I will try and answer your question, I will assume "cannon" you mean the original trilogy. I totally understand where you are coming from, it's a big reason I have given up on X-Wing. So:
Ship-wise, right in the core set you are getting a Star Destroyer not in the films. The Victory looks pretty Star Derstroyer-ie, though, so I didn't mind it. The current releases have mostly stuck to film ships, though, so I will make a slight modification of my purchase list for people trying to stick to the films:

Core set, dice, and an extra maneuver tool assembled for speed 2
Imperial Star Destroyer, MC80 Home One
Rebel, Imperial, and R&V squad packs
The new Rebel Transport GR75 and Gozanti (not in the film, but will help keep fleets balanced)

Now comes some discretion.
Another CR90, Nebulon, Victory Star Destroyer, MC80 (new one, can't remember the name).
This gets you more film, and film-like, ships. If you stick to film-only ships for the Empire, you are going to have one fleet option, and that's 1, 2, or 3 Imperial Star Destroyers depending on your point limit. The VSD is close enough, and lets you build some variety. The new Interdictor looks Star Destroyer-ie too, so you might want to include that. If you are willing to fudge some on the Empire as long as you have a few doom wedges and a swarm of TIEs, the Raider and Gladiator are very good ships too.

Character-wise, you are going to be somewhat out of luck if you are going to try and limit yourself to only film Admirals and Officers. You can do it, but personally in X-Wing my main goal was film-like space battles and I didn't care about the pilots, and I feel the same way in Armada. The Admirals and Officers don't matter to me outside yelling "It's a Trap!" when using Ackbar, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm limiting my purchases in Armada and Imperial Assault too. I'm in X-Wing, Wings of Glory and a few others and I simply can't support too many collectible games. Right now it is X-Wing and everything is limited in some fashion.

For Armada I purchased one of everything except fighters which I got two of. I was debating on stopping there and could with no problem. But I do think I'll press on for the 2xGR-75, 2xGozantis, Interdictor and the other MC ship.

Finally I've considered (debating, thinking about getting a second Assault Frigate Mark II, as ugly as it is and a second Gladiator. That gives me a very rounded fleet on both sides and plenty for replayability and fun casual play.

For me the trick was finding a stopping point early in these games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Resistance is futile!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
That gives me a very rounded fleet on both sides and plenty for replayability and fun casual play.

Probably enough for campaign play, at least!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
That gives me a very rounded fleet on both sides and plenty for replayability and fun casual play.

If that's true that would be awesome....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
monkeykins wrote:
Ken at Sunrise wrote:

I saw a post about 400 points in the news thread about the campaign.

Also, I misread your post and thought you said "two of everything" which could get you into the 800 point range per faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
monkeykins wrote:
Ken at Sunrise wrote:

I saw a post about 400 points in the news thread about the campaign.

Also, I misread your post and thought you said "two of everything" which could get you into the 800 point range per faction.

No, no... just one of everything and only thinking of two of a couple of specific ships. LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison Macrae
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually believe, in part from the discussion of the Raider, that Armada is being used as a vehicle for canon. They've mostly been very careful to include characters from the renewed canon; Skreed being an excellent example of a character hardly anybody knew, but he was recanonized in the early novel Tarkin, and so was fair game, along with his Gladiator. The Raider filled a slot that might have been taken by the less visually appealing Lancer-class Frigate, but FFG worked with Disney to make a totally new ship, and introduce it to canon with its addition to X-Wing and Armada.

So I could be misguided, but given what I've seen to be the very careful inclusion of characters from the vaguest mentions in the smallest of articles since the canon reset, I believe it's FFG's intent for everything in Armada to be considered part of the new canon, and I think it may be Disney's consent that everything in Armada is considered canon.

I'm sure somebody will be able to prove me wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gathraawn wrote:
I actually believe, in part from the discussion of the Raider, that Armada is being used as a vehicle for canon. They've mostly been very careful to include characters from the renewed canon; Skreed being an excellent example of a character hardly anybody knew, but he was recanonized in the early novel Tarkin, and so was fair game, along with his Gladiator. The Raider filled a slot that might have been taken by the less visually appealing Lancer-class Frigate, but FFG worked with Disney to make a totally new ship, and introduce it to canon with its addition to X-Wing and Armada.

So I could be misguided, but given what I've seen to be the very careful inclusion of characters from the vaguest mentions in the smallest of articles since the canon reset, I believe it's FFG's intent for everything in Armada to be considered part of the new canon, and I think it may be Disney's consent that everything in Armada is considered canon.

I'm sure somebody will be able to prove me wrong.

I hope the future releases for the game proves you correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
The new Rebel Transport GR75 and Gozanti (not in the film, but will help keep fleets balanced)

FYI, The Gozanti is now Canon (from Rebels)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vincent ruggerio
msg tools
mbmb
Imperials
Victory: Canon
Gladiator: Legends
Imperial: Canon
Raider: Legends (since its a FFG creation has little chance of ever becoming canon)
Gozanti: Canon
Interdictor: Canon
Arquitens: Canon

TIE/LN: canon
TIE/IN: canon
TIE x1: canon (TIE Advanced)
TIE/sa: canon (TIE Bomber)
Firespray-31: canon
YV-666: legends
Jumpmaster 5000: legends
Aggressor: legends
Lambda: canon
TIE/ph Pantom: legends
TIE/D Defender: status unknown depends on if Star Wars: Commander is canon or not ?
VT-49 Decimator: status unknown depends on if Star Wars: Commander is canon or not ?

Rebels
Assault Frigate MII: legends
CR90: canon
Nebulon-B: canon
MC80: canon
MC30: legends
GR-75: canon
Pelta: canon

X-Wing:canon
B-Wing:canon
A-Wing:canon
Y-Wing;canon
YT-2400:canon
YT-1300:canon
HWK-290:canon
Surrg H-6:legends
Z-95:canon
E-Wing:legends
VCX-100:canon
Lancer:canon

Totals
Imperials: 5 canon/ 2 legends ships 8 canon/ 4 legends fighters

Rebels: 6 canon/ 2 legends ships 10 canon/ 2 legends fighters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But I want the Raider to be canon

When was the Z-95 in canon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.