Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just off the cuff, but what if whenever you missed a HBTD roll, you added 1 to future rolls until you made the roll and it then reset?

For example suppose you start out with an 8+ to make and you roll a 7. So you miss the roll and suffer the consequences. Then the next roll you roll a 6. You add 1 to the roll for 7 but you still miss. Now you have +2 to your next roll. Then you roll a 6, add 2 and get an 8 so you make the roll. So now you're back to +0.

That means if you have a bad run of luck, eventually the pluses will be so high that you will make the roll, at least once in a while.

The effect is to slow the timer to a very slight degree, but the greatest effect is only when the players are having repeated bad luck.

Discussion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd prefer using something like that rather than the blind die roll we have now. Taken a step further, it would've been awesome if the HBtD roll was modified by how well you're doing in the mine so far:

-Pass your last Encounter? Gain a +HBtD Token, making the next HBtD easier. Fail your last Encounter? Gain a -HBtD Token instead.

-Found 2 Clues so far? Gain 2 +HBtD Tokens.

-Killed the Miniboss already (would have to actually add balanced miniboss encounters to the game first)? Gain 2 +HBtD Tokens.

-Etc.

It would be a completely different system, but something like this would give the feeling that you're going to succeed or fail your mission based mostly on how effective you've been at delving into that mine, rather than how unlucky you've been rolling a 2d6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not allow modifying the HBTD roll using grit as a simple solution?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Welnicki
Poland
Gdansk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I got a better solution; i'll post it with the rest of the changes to my variant in the coming week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mishenka wrote:
Why not allow modifying the HBTD roll using grit as a simple solution?

we have something similar to that.
when a HBTD failed everyone can take d6 wound/sanity OR use one grit to prevent it from moving. Is still penalizing but no too crazy.

I haven't lay in a while (ZBP arrived lol), but is something on those line

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.