Subject: Help Sheet Mislabeled rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Jackson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I noticed that the Player Aid sheet in my 2nd Ed copy of U-Boat Leader seems to have the 'old' (1st Ed) rules for SHIP ATTACKS AGAINST U-BOATS instead of those in new 2nd Ed rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reyes
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe another mistake by the printer. Maybe it will be replaced also like the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Geisler

Santa Fe
New Mexico
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I too am confused by the ship attack u-boat portion of the player aid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reyes
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just got mine. It does not make sense because its all counters and evasion ratings. So I think you can just ignore it. I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lipa LeChuck
msg tools
mb
It would be awesome if somebody here with skills and time would create a "replacement" patch of the same size, with the correct info, that could be taped over the incorrect version of the help sheet...

Anybody?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Fields
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There's a bunch of left over 1st edition errors like this that make learning the game very confusing. The "2 rolls" deep dive counter is another.

Disappointing that it was put together so sloppy. And they have t even published errata or a FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lipa LeChuck
msg tools
mb
Indeed, I've just been asking about a number of ambiguities (at least to me) in the Rules section... The worst of all is that the rule to draw a SECOND Convoy card to determine the special conditions is simply not there, except in the gameplay example at the end of the rulebook. Such an important rule! I really love the game, but I'm quite disapointed about the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Olsen
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
LipaB wrote:
The worst of all is that the rule to draw a SECOND Convoy card to determine the special conditions is simply not there, except in the gameplay example at the end of the rulebook.

Yeah, I don't get that rule. Why don't we just use the special conditions on the Convoy Card we just drew? I say, don't draw a second card. It makes so much sense you don't even have to consider it a house rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lipa LeChuck
msg tools
mb
Mellonhead3013 wrote:
Why don't we just use the special conditions on the Convoy Card we just drew?

Well, I understand the idea behind this rule - it is to make a greater variety of Convoy/Special condition combinations. Basically for a better replay value... But I cannot believe the way that it is (mis)handled by the Rulebook...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same with Gato Leader. Many things are not well thought out, and give the impression of an extremely lazy design/cash grab.

If you compare this with Field Commander Napoleon or TA Leader, where you can really feel the...for lack of a better word 'love' the designer put in it, these games were a real disappointment for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lipa LeChuck
msg tools
mb
Faerun wrote:
If you compare this with Field Commander Napoleon or TA Leader, where you can really feel the...for lack of a better word 'love' the designer put in it, these games were a real disappointment for me.

Yeah, it's really such a shame. Of all Leader games, this one has always had the reputation of being "the worst", although the theme itself is very popular. Now they had a chance to turn the horse around and really make it what it should have been all along - but sadly it seems that this wasn't the case. Sure, some additions are nice, but it still hurts how much potential went down the drain. It all feels so rushed together, and not really thought through in any great detail.

However, I still must be honest and say that by including a handful of custom rules (and really not that many, just a few), the game actually works for me! I have tons of fun playing it. Just not vanilla. But with some additional rules, I can get easily absorbed in a campaign for hours...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you elaborate on these houserules?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lipa LeChuck
msg tools
mb
Faerun wrote:
Could you elaborate on these houserules?

Sure. Although I need to say up front that none of these ideas are mine. They are mostly adapted from the magnificent Tactical Expansion by Dean (the full Tactical Expansion is a little too much for my style of play though; I still like to keep things relatively simple and fast, at least this is what I want from this game).

These are the house rules I am using:

- At the beginning of a patrol, I am rolling for the patrol assignment. I created a table for each Campaign, and so for each U-Boat, I roll for the designated patrol area and the number of opreations segments that the U-Boat needs to spend there.

- I am using the fuel rules from the Tactical Expansion, with a slight modification: while entering an area costs 2 points of fuel (4 points in the Drumbeat campaign), entering the English Channel is free. This gives you another reason to try your luck in the Channel.

For both of the above rules I created special cards to help with tracking. I am using tokens.

- When entering and passing through an area, I draw Event cards for "moving". When entering the patrol area, I draw event cards for "patrolling". During the patrol (staying in the area for the assigned number of operations segments, as above), I only draw 1 event card per operations segment.

- When starting the Tactical segment, I am using the Tactical Events from the Tactical Expansion. But I converted the cards to a table and made it so that the Events happen about 50 % of the time.

- When placing the U-Boat on the Tactical Map, I roll. For 1-7, I proceed normally. For 8-10, I roll again and place the U-Boat on the space in the long range area corresponding to the number rolled (starting in the Wake and going clockwise, for example). U-Boats with the "Infiltrator" ability ignore this rule.

I think this is it. Like I said, these small additions make the game a solid 9 for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Brown
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LipaB wrote:
They are mostly adapted from the magnificent Tactical Expansion by Dean (the full Tactical Expansion is a little too much for my style of play though; I still like to keep things relatively simple and fast, at least this is what I want from this game).

I may have gone a little overboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.