Popular Tags: Criticism_is_hard_to_take. [+] [View All]
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, and thanks for coming here!

I am here to ask you to rate my board game site!
I have been putting some work into it and I feel it is coming along pretty good but I want to see what ether people think about it.

So here is my site.
http://nighthuntgames.weebly.com/

So I would like to see what you think from a 1-10.

Poll: 1-10
From a 1-10, how do you like my site?
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 or 10?
      75 answers
Poll created by Hicitup

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to verify that you can click the 3 lines on the top of my site to view ether pages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cilibiu Dragos
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You really need to hire someone who really knows how to design a user friendly website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
59 4 76(!!) 14 7 52
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
Just wanted to verify that you can click the 3 lines on the top of my site to view ether pages.
The page is so eye-searingly garish that I have no idea whether that button was even visible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
Hey guys, and thanks for coming here!

I am here to ask you to rate my board game site!
I have been putting some work into it and I feel it is coming along pretty good but I want to see what ether people think about it.

So here is my site.
http://nighthuntgames.weebly.com/

So I would like to see what you think from a 1-10.

Poll: 1-10
From a 1-10, how do you like my site?
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 or 10?
      75 answers
Poll created by Hicitup

Thanks!

Needs a better layout. steer the user's eyes. Get to know how much they see when they first load the page. Don't overwhelm them, guide them gently to where they can go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a problem when the first impression is that it has less information and usability than zombo.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blech. I took two web design classes, and the first thing we learned was to not do exactly that.

I can't figure out how to get off of the homepage, the layout is miserable, and for some reason doubled , and I have no clue what your site is about.

Edit: Three lines. Real intuitive. Make a proper navbar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Royko
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I'm a computer programmer and have done some prior web development.

Might I recommend you use a site like https://templated.co/ to find a template to adapt. It will save you alot of time in my opinion. They're already responsive and if you replace a few simple parts of the above templates with the correct curly brace syntax for weebly, and fix the css to work with the weebly generated content you should be fine.

That said the website as it is right now makes me want to stab my eyes, but you are a beginner, so don't feel disheartened. I recommend you take a few interactive courses on css, html, and javascript.

https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/computer-programming/h...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya know, I knew my site needed work, but you guys make it sound like my site is the plague.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey man, you asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'm glad I did now, seeing that it's not very good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I see all you guys saying it's horrible... So what are some of the thing you would recommend me changing??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
So I see all you guys saying it's horrible... So what are some of the thing you would recommend me changing??

You mean, besides pretty much everything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:

Honestly, I think you should follow iceflow's recommendation, start over, use a template, and learn the basics of webdesign. If the free online seminars don't cut it, look into taking actual classes nearby.

That said, I would suggest to go even further back to the basics: Look at the content that you can offer and start from there. It makes no sense to even start thinking about the design for navigating a website when there's nothing to navigate to. Right now, the only thing that's actually content on your site is one print-and-play document: The rules are full of typos and grammatical errors, the cards have odd sizes, more than half of the pages are wasted and cutting them would be a pain in the ass because the layout is bad; moreover, since there is neither theme nor art, there shouldn't even be any need for specific cards - any random poker/bridge deck could do the job.

In other words, I think you're not even at the point where webdesign should even be an issue. Focus on the content, and then get back to designing an appropriate layout based on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I know your trying to be helpful but my rules "Are not" full of typos and the cards are the same size as a normal card. If they are not it's because of the spot that I uploaded them, it might have resized. But did you even check the normal card size before telling me that I made a mistake??? And I have more games coming, my website is for people to see what I'm working on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
Canada
Stoney Creek
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto on what others have said. Additionally, the language is also awkward. Specifically, it's not well-composed.

1. Using words such as 'wanna' and capitals in the middle of sentences is unprofessional.

2. A phrase like "you gain points different ways from different cards" reads like something I'd correct in a student paper for being vague.

3."Galaxy Explorers is about finding different treasure on planets and getting fame for the things you find." Avoid using a root word twice in the same sentence - in this case, 'find'. Simply changing that last word to 'discover' would make for a better sentence.

4."Games to be released." Is that a heading? If so, you do not put a period at the end.

As for style, even looking at pamphlets, non-fiction reference books, and magazines will show you something about text features. Don't center align blocks of texts - unless it's a poem, it's aggravating to the reader. The font used for the menu at the top of the home page is decent, whereas the main text on your other pages seems dated to me.

Hope this helps a little!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
Canada
Stoney Creek
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
First of all, I know your trying to be helpful but my rules "Are not" full of typos and the cards are the same size as a normal card. If they are not it's because of the spot that I uploaded them, it might have resized. But did you even check the normal card size before telling me that I made a mistake??? And I have more games coming, my website is for people to see what I'm working on.

I just skimmed the rules and counted 6 typos myself. That's 6 too many for a document of that size. There are also errors on the site itself.

Trouble spots: your vs. you're, either, it's vs. its, the proper use of parentheses, too vs. to. Do not rely on spellcheck. It will not catch homophone errors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:

Take this paragraph for example (page 2):
"Play an ‘A, B, C, and D,’ cards on the discard pile when you have, ether all of one kind, or all different kinds. (When you play all four of one kind, you earn six points. When you play all four different kinds, you earn four points."

1. There shouldn't be a comma after the D.
2. I suppose the "and" should mean "or", but since the rest of the sentence contradicts the play-one-card-rule under "Playing the game" on the same page, it's hard to say for sure.
3. You switch from singular "an" to plural "cards" within the same sentence.
4. "when you have" requires an object.
5. "ether" should read "either".
6. No comma between "either ... or".
7. The closing bracket is missing.

That's seven errors in two sentences. I admit that I picked one of the worst paragraphs to make my point, but the rest of the document contains more errors, even if at a lower frequency.

I can see how my posts might come across as rude, but I really think that 'walk before you run' is the best advice that I can offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, sorry man, I kinda jumped the gun... I have just been working on this for so long that I'm a little more frustrated then I should be.. Thanks for the advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran a print and play site for my designs for several years and found it really hard to get any traffic to it. The games got more attention (though still not loads because there are only so many people interested in pnp) when I posted the files directly to bgg.

More generally, if you're looking to get into game design, show your games to as wide a group as possible, get people to play test and proof read them, take people's advice and be prepared to throw stuff away and start over. I've worked on at least thirty different designs, of which there are only two or three that are even vaguely fit for public consumption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DicingWithDearth wrote:
I ran a print and play site for my designs for several years and found it really hard to get any traffic to it. The games got more attention (though still not loads because there are only so many people interested in pnp) when I posted the files directly to bgg.

More generally, if you're looking to get into game design, show your games to as wide a group as possible, get people to play test and proof read them, take people's advice and be prepared to throw stuff away and start over. I've worked on at least thirty different designs, of which there are only two or three that are even vaguely fit for public consumption.

Yeah man, I know how you feel. I have probably made 100 games or so that I just threw away because it was ether a stupid concept or it just didn't work. And I kinda agree, I might just not use my site anymore... I thought it might be fun to keep people in check of what's happening, but it didn't really work out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I may, I'd like to suggest a different view about the layout.

First, load up your webpage and look at it as if you had never seen it before and think about what information is visible, including identifiers for what is actually interactive. Don't scroll or click anything yet, just look and write them down in a text document. Your first impressions, what is usable, anything hat you, as a new viewer to the site would see, understand and might want to know.

Now, open up a new window or tab and go to a favorite company's website and write down the same impressions and expectations.

Now, compare those notes and think about what may be missing from your page that you would expect or be looking for that you wrote down about that favorite page and take notes.

Now, go back to your page and compare your notes from that company's website and see what is there and what is missing from that list.

This should help you to start figuring out what you want your page to look like design-wise.

Now, I think you can look at web page templates and see what layouts work for that goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:
DicingWithDearth wrote:

Yeah man, I know how you feel. I have probably made 100 games or so that I just threw away because it was ether a stupid concept or it just didn't work. And I kinda agree, I might just not use my site anymore... I thought it might be fun to keep people in check of what's happening, but it didn't really work out.

Have you thought about maybe just running a blog here on BGG instead? You can create a post about a game (or more than one per game if you need to); and then provide links to the game materials (rules/cards etc.) hosted on Google Drive or DropBox. That way you get to focus on what you enjoy doing (making/designing games) and less on dabbling in an area that (sorry to say) you are not good at right now.

P.S. Getting people to pay attention to your games and ideas is VERY VERY HARD so don't be discouraged; and keep doing this because your love it - "the work is its own reward" and all that - and NOT because you want/expect tons of feedback and pats on the head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
Hicitup wrote:
DicingWithDearth wrote:

Have you thought about maybe just running a blog here on BGG instead? You can create a post about a game (or more than one per game if you need to); and then provide links to the game materials (rules/cards etc.) hosted on Google Drive or DropBox. That way you get to focus on what you enjoy doing (making/designing games) and less on dabbling in an area that (sorry to say) you are not good at right now.

P.S. Getting people to pay attention to your games and ideas is VERY VERY HARD so don't be discouraged; and keep doing this because your love it - "the work is its own reward" and all that - and NOT because you want/expect tons of feedback and pats on the head.

Yeah, I have ran a blog for awhile. I might pick it back up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Try a free website such as Wix
http://www.wix.com/

I know nothing about programming but have managed to set up a half decent site to place files for email games I used to run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.