Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I wonder how people are usually playing with advanced encounters: are you adding them in addition to other exploration token (as it is proposed by rules), or do you just replace normal/random encounter with thematic advanced encounter (I.e. using no encounter if exploration token doesn't trigger encounter)

2. One of the common critics of the game is that the player's choice of their way (doors) doesn't matter at all, since you will anyway take next exploration token regardless what map/room your reveal.

I assume that it can be fixed if you assign/put exploration token for all new doors/gates, and use them for next room after this door/gate.
It works quite well, but may require significant backstepping particularly in the mission that requires to find specific number of clues.

Has someone tried such variant and what is your perception? Does it work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do the advanced encounters in addition to the regular encounters, I like it.

I like your idea, gives an element of desicion although it's just guessing and could just extend the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. After many games, we grew VERY weary of all the encountering. So we just roll a die. 1-3 = do the advanced encounter. 4-6 = do one from the deck.

2. I've always liked the sound of this suggestion, but have never played that way due to lack of table space. We have to disassemble the mine as we go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jomurph86 wrote:
2. I've always liked the sound of this suggestion, but have never played that way due to lack of table space. We have to disassemble the mine as we go.

same here.. I have a pretty big table, but this game just have a huge footprint, we cant never have more than 3-4 tiles at once.
I always wonder why they went with such a odd size

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. C.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The encounters deck following 1.5 is a pretty big deck of cards. We don't bother with the specific encounters anymore preferring to see different cards each time above "oh this one again". When wave 2 is fulfilled we wont shuffle the deck any longer, but will work through the deck from front to back.

2.I have not tried the game using the suggested door variant, However there is an encounter card that requires you to explore each door of the current tile before you can progress.

Based off this limited experience which felt like a lot of walking backwards and forwards on a very linear level, rather than a thematic feeling of progressing deeper and deeper in to the murky depths of the mine.

Even though it did make the second "remains in play" encounter drawn for the room, more of an on-going threat, I suspect that ultimately using the suggested variant would feel no less linear than the encounter card but on a larger scale (That plus the space issue). That's not to say I would be completely adverse to trying out, just don't see the need.

on a note we don't have our exploration tokens in a stack we draw them from a dice bag. perhaps that's why we feel nothing is preordained or is it?.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I draw the advanced encounters and the ones specified and I do just the number indicated on the token, but I choose from among the normal encounters and the advanced one. So I see the advanced ones more but don't do more encounters.

Frankly, I think it's silly to do multiple encounters anyway, since in an RPG you typically have just 1 and they're often implausible in combination. Also if you do more than one, you don't really pay attention to each one, they're just something to get through. If you do only one, I think it gives you better atmosphere, and if that one is the advanced encounter, it's even better.

Maybe I'll change my mind with more experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Silence wrote:
1. The encounters deck following 1.5 is a pretty big deck of cards. We don't bother with the specific encounters anymore preferring to see different cards each time above "oh this one again". When wave 2 is fulfilled we wont shuffle the deck any longer, but will work through the deck from front to back.

We like having the additional encounters, so our Advanced Encounter variant is that we draw an extra encounter, but not the named one. So we still get the added challenge of more encounters, but we don't need to maintain a separate encounter deck with the named encounters. It also means we don't know one of our encounters as soon as we flip the tile (yes, we've played enough for that to have become an issue).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I use both variants. It works well--if components and cards are organized. For instance, I keep advanced encounters in a separate deck, organized alphabetically. My tiles are also labeled with codes, and I have charts for looking up mine map cards by name. The chart tells you which tile to grab by code, and which advanced encounter, if any.

Wirhout organization, though, the process is extremely tedious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. C.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The familiarity is because like you we play so frequently ( so not meant as a negative ), Though thankfully we haven't seen the Mind worms card for a while because of the expanded deck.

Adria wrote:
The Silence wrote:

We like having the additional encounters, so our Advanced Encounter variant is that we draw an extra encounter, but not the named one. So we still get the added challenge of more encounters, but we don't need to maintain a separate encounter deck with the named encounters. It also means we don't know one of our encounters as soon as we flip the tile (yes, we've played enough for that to have become an issue).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.