Stephen M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

NEXT SESSION >>> Wednesday July 27, 2016.
GAMES >>> There are usually 50-100 games to choose from.
WHERE? >>> THE LOUNGE of the Canadian Legion Branch 351 - Centertown, 330 Kent Street (The Montgomery Legion)
WHEN? >>> Gaming starts at 6pm and goes until 10
PARKING: Kent and Somerset have parking, as well as the nearest side streets which are Gilmour, Maclaren, Cooper and Lisgar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I can get through the rules I might even bring Above and Below

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sharon and Bill were good enough to let me introduce two new games I picked up in the States this weekend.

First, Sharon, Bill and I broke out Above and Below. a city-building, exploration, storytelling game. In this game you are earning points based upon the number of buildings you construct, the goods you have on your advancement track, your reputation and building bonuses. You are using workers to explore the caves (successful explorations are needed to obtain the caves in which you can build outposts), build above ground buildings and below ground outposts, harvest goods you've grown, recruit additional workers, or grab some cash (and hopefully a cider to help refresh a tired worker). The trick here is that you need beds (or disposable ciders and potions) to move workers from being injured or just tired into the "ready" status. Buildings with beds are a premium. I finished the game with a slight advantage in buildings and the reputation track. Sharon and I tied on points from the advancement track. Bill and Sharon cleaned up on the endgame bonuses from buildings. In the end, there was a tie and Sharon won the tiebreaker by 1 coin. Fun game, with a little randomness but plenty of good decisions to make.

Next, Bill, Sharon and I tried Abyss. Its a game with a healthy dose of set collection (two layers of it really) and some push your luck. You earn most of your points by recruiting Lords, fighting monsters, allies that you've affiliated to you and locations that you control. This was another close one. Sharon earned, by far, the most points from controlled locations and had a much smaller lead over Bill and I in the lords we've recruited. I held a small lead in the points from fighting Monsters and in affiliated allies. Sharon wins another squeaker by 2 points.

Other games I saw played were Arkwright, Völuspá and a couple of other games I didn't catch the names of.

See you all next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.