$35.00
Theo Sheridan
msg tools
So i really enjoy munchkin, the card game not munchkin quest, and was wondering what other card based rpg games there are? thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is it you enjoy about it? Knowing a bit more about what attracts you to the game can help people recommend to you.

Is it the "take that" element, the humour, the randomness?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may like Boss Monster. It's a dungeon building card game with bits of humor and spell cards you can play to help yourself or hurt your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Illuminati: Deluxe Edition is by the same designer and also a funny card game, though thematically it's a satire about conspiracies.

Gloom is another light and funny card game; there are several editions (similar to but not quite as much as for Munchkin).

1000 Blank White Cards would be my personal recommendation. I'll admit that it's appears a bit strange, but if you have an even moderately creative gaming group, it provides (in my opinion) the best "funny card game experience" out there. If you favor a more structured approach (but why would you?), try any of the Fluxx editions instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludvig Stigsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Pathfinder the cardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't tried it, but the reviews of Cutthroat Caverns are pretty positive. Basically, you're a team of heroes dungeoning together. You need your allies to get you through the quest, but you also need to be the one who comes out of it having earned the most glory, and not them. So it's a bit of a puzzle to decide where to be a team player and where to try and trip the others up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Travis
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the humor and the light RPG elements, you may also like The Red Dragon Inn, very much in the same vein as Munchkin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have suggested, it might be easier to recommend the best games to you if you can elaborate on what you enjoy most about Munchkin. Without knowing specifics, there are a few worth looking into.

Cutthroat Caverns has almost the exact same concept (group of fantasy heroes exploring a dungeon and slaying monsters, but only the one who gets the most XP wins) but the game play is a little different. There's still lots of backstabbing but also some cooperation. To me, it feels a bit like an evolved form of Munchkin. The game's tagline is: Without teamwork, you'll never survive. Without betrayal, you'll never win!

The Red Dragon Inn is a silly game in a similar style to Munchkin. It doesn't take itself seriously at all and is basically "what would happen if a party of Munchkins returned to the tavern for drinks after their adventure". Good, random fun.

I'll also go a bit out on a limb and say, if what you like about Munchkin is the bickering and double-dealing, the alliances (and subsequent betrayal of those alliances), the "take-that" card play and the special items and powers, you might also consider looking more closely at Cosmic Encounter. Cosmic takes the social elements that I enjoyed about Munchkin but incorporates them into (in my opinion) and much more solid "game". But it's still hilarious, still over-the-top and will still leave your group telling stories of your epic sessions for years afterward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.