Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rowdy van Lieshout
Netherlands
Huis ter Heide
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I consider Cacao a nice tile laying game for the whole family. It’s a step up from Carcassonne, although it has, besides having tiles, nothing to do with that game. Cacao is more like a worker placement game in tile form.

This is a copy of an As a Board Gamer (LINK) article
(May 17th, 2016)

You can find a geeklist of all my reviews HERE.

Cacao Chocolatl is an expansion that adds a couple of modules. Some of them really add something to the game, some not so much.

The first module is the map module. Normally the tile market consists of two tiles and after your turn you draw one or two new tiles from the stack and place them on the table. The map module adds a map board where you place two tiles to will replace the ones you used during your turn. So, now you can see what's coming up. Every player also gets two map tokens and with them you can buy a tile from the map board instead of taking a normal tile.

This is an OK addition. It makes the game more strategic. You are less depended on the luck of the draw, you have four tiles to choose from, but on the other hand I didn’t mind the luck that much. I also found that these map tokens weren’t used very often. It seemed that people just forgot about them. I mean, -why not use them?-, they are worth nothing in the end.

The next module gives you a couple of water tiles with four cacao beans on it. That doesn’t mean you get a step forward on the water track and four cacao beans, no, you can move one step back on that track to gain four beans. This one is nice, it gives you a chance to quickly gain a lot of cacao. You have to be able to manage your water and you can still only store five cacao on your player board.

Where is the chocolatl!?

Well, you can add it with the third module. This module adds the option to turn one cacao into one chocolate tiles, plus it adds a new type of market where you can sell cacao for three and chocolate for seven coins. Chocolate is worth much more than cacao, but it also adds another step to the process. Is it worth it? Probably, but can you manage it?

This is a fun module. It adds another path to victory and gives the players more options.

The last module is one I do not particularly like. It adds huts and these huts give you special abilities, or end games scoring conditions. For instance ,you do get points for any cacao you still have at the end of the game, or the side of your tiles with three workers from now on have four workers on them, or you just get six extra points at the end of the game.

These huts have a price and you can buy one at the end of your turn.

I do like that there are special abilities. You can buy huts for yourself or, if you see that another player will score a lot of points with a particular hut, you can buy it just to mess with that player.

However, these huts don’t lose their value, because they are worth the same amount of points as you have paid for them. So, there’s no risk and reward. Why would you not buy a hut every couple of turns (if you can)? I would have liked it more if you were able to buy these huts, maybe for less coins, and these huts were not worth any points themselves at the end of the game. Then the huts would make me think about the price I have to pay, the extra income it might bring and I would ask myself: 'Would it be worth it?'.

Beforehand I thought I would like the Hut module the most, but I think the chocolate module adds the most. The expansion is quite cheap, so if you enjoy the base game and would like to make the game a bit more interesting for gamers, just because you have more options, then buy this one.

All modules are interesting, some more than others, and make the game more thinky. Fear not, it is still a family style game, and a fun one, with or without Chocolatl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am kind of with you on the huts. I admit, though, that the huts are the only module I have not tried. The other modules open up some viable strategies but maintain the simplicity and charm of the game which are two big reasons I like the game so much. I particularly like how the new 4-Cacao plantation tiles give the irrigation track a purpose besides points. The huts seem like they add complexity in this game where it does not seem to belong. I just don't think an extra source of points is needed. My opinion may change, however, if I ever get around to actually adding the huts. But the new plantations, chocolate maker tiles, and chocolate market tiles are perfect additions to the game. I do like the map tokens as it prevents (somewhat) any complaints about losses being due to the luck of the draw.

And FWIW, Phil Walker Harding is quickly becoming one of only a few designers whose games I will buy simply due to the fact of his/her name being on the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bird
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Wife and I both love Cacao and I just bought Chocolatl awaiting for me to open it up tonight. Will play multiple times before Gen-con next weekend and I think by adding all these modules to the game adds more strategic thinking to a pretty simplistic game. Maybe alot less "blocking" opponents from getting points off of water and temple tiles. Thanks for the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
I am kind of with you on the huts. I admit, though, that the huts are the only module I have not tried. The other modules open up some viable strategies but maintain the simplicity and charm of the game which are two big reasons I like the game so much. I particularly like how the new 4-Cacao plantation tiles give the irrigation track a purpose besides points. The huts seem like they add complexity in this game where it does not seem to belong. I just don't think an extra source of points is needed. My opinion may change, however, if I ever get around to actually adding the huts. But the new plantations, chocolate maker tiles, and chocolate market tiles are perfect additions to the game. I do like the map tokens as it prevents (somewhat) any complaints about losses being due to the luck of the draw.

And FWIW, Phil Walker Harding is quickly becoming one of only a few designers whose games I will buy simply due to the fact of his/her name being on the box.

David, did you get around to trying the Huts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.