$30.00
Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Agricola (revised edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Zman Agricola rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan H
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Does anyone know whether Zman will continue to publish the original game?

Will the original game still be available from anywhere?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yodi wrote:
Does anyone know whether Zman will continue to publish the original game?

Lookout Games is the original publisher, and Mayfair Games owns Lookout, so I think it's beyond doubtful that Zman will publish any future copies.

Quote:
Will the original game still be available from anywhere?

Given how prolifically the original game had been published, I'm sure that original copies (some NIS, no doubt) will be available for a long time to come. You should check both the Geek Market and users who are trading the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Z-Man will not continue to publish any Agricola-related products; those rights are now with Mayfair/Lookout. The "original game" and components (one presumes you mean all products related to the previous edition) is now replaced, or will be replaced, by the current edition at the retail level.

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan H
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
AlexYeager wrote:
Z-Man will not continue to publish any Agricola-related products; those rights are now with Mayfair/Lookout. The "original game" and components (one presumes you mean all products related to the previous edition) is now replaced, or will be replaced, by the current edition at the retail level.

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games


That's depressing as the reduction and changes in cards in the Mayfair edition reduces the game and will detrimentally change it - while possibly making it easier to mass market or resell to existing owners who feel the need to buy the latest copy hence pushing profits.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yodi wrote:
AlexYeager wrote:
Z-Man will not continue to publish any Agricola-related products; those rights are now with Mayfair/Lookout. The "original game" and components (one presumes you mean all products related to the previous edition) is now replaced, or will be replaced, by the current edition at the retail level.

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games


That's depressing as the reduction and changes in cards in the Mayfair edition reduces the game and will detrimentally change it - while possibly making it easier to mass market or resell to existing owners who feel the need to buy the latest copy hence pushing profits.


I just totally disagree with you. Changes made to the game makes Agricola better and far less luck-driven. Changes to cards make it so that it is not about knowing which is a good card and a bad card, but instead about having experience with the game and making right choices and building a right strategy with the cards. So it gives you more variety for strategy and makes for a far more tight game against experienced players as well. And at the same time it makes the game also better if playing without draft, since that is a challenge in it's own right and again far less about luck.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan H
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
Yodi wrote:
AlexYeager wrote:
Z-Man will not continue to publish any Agricola-related products; those rights are now with Mayfair/Lookout. The "original game" and components (one presumes you mean all products related to the previous edition) is now replaced, or will be replaced, by the current edition at the retail level.

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games


That's depressing as the reduction and changes in cards in the Mayfair edition reduces the game and will detrimentally change it - while possibly making it easier to mass market or resell to existing owners who feel the need to buy the latest copy hence pushing profits.


I just totally disagree with you. Changes made to the game makes Agricola better and far less luck-driven. Changes to cards make it so that it is not about knowing which is a good card and a bad card, but instead about having experience with the game and making right choices and building a right strategy with the cards. So it gives you more variety for strategy and makes for a far more tight game against experienced players as well. And at the same time it makes the game also better if playing without draft, since that is a challenge in it's own right and again far less about luck.


Fine if you think having 96 vards rather than 350 in the base game is a step forward enjoy. I'm sure that they will bring out more card deck but there are two problems to this.

1. It will end up costing people the best part of £200 to get up to the level of cards that you would have got in the original game - They have basically gone for the Dominion money spinning model

2. This new version with far less cards will become the general copy most people own, which is sad as having the additional cards allow you have much more varied play. Yet you can also choose to play with a limited deck such as e if you prefer.... and it is just being done to generate a lot more money from each player, simple as that and Mayfair know it but they will obvious not say it. Quite sad people are defending them for this!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kolb
United States
Highland Park
NJ
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexYeager wrote:
Z-Man will not continue to publish any Agricola-related products; those rights are now with Mayfair/Lookout. The "original game" and components (one presumes you mean all products related to the previous edition) is now replaced, or will be replaced, by the current edition at the retail level.

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games


Hey Alex!

Quick question. For those of us with the previous version, will there be an upgrade kit to get us up to speed? I love the new stuff that's been added to the revised Agricola, but I've already invested lots of time, money, and love into my old edition.

Thanks a bunch,

(Also, please reprint A:ACBAS and the expansions! They're great and I'm only missing the first expansion!)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Paris

Monforte de Lemos
LUGO
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll certainly be hanging onto my copy. Sure some of the updated artwork and details of the new edition are nice but I also find the dramatically reduced card count suspicious. Mayfair buys a controlling interest in Lookout and all of the sudden they start planning three diffent boxed versions with a player count upgrade and the base game having a very small card count but with plenty of card expansion packs in the works. Ughhh. I really dislike CCG, I dislike the Dominion model, I dislike anything that sucks in you and keeps you buying buying buying. But I LOOOOOVVE Agricola. What Mayfair is doing to Agricola saddens me immensely.

When I buy a board game I like to buy a complete experience, a well designed and well delivered game in a box, not a system, not a taster, nothing like that.

Fields of Arle is a wonderful complete work of art in a box and I hope that Uwe keeps publishing his work through Feuerland from now on.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.