Martin Looij
Netherlands
Dordrecht
ZH
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, thank you Sebastian Koziner for making me Geek of the Week. And thank you all for your questions, I really enjoyed it.

Now for the next Geek of the Week, I choose Brian Everett! Also known as Cloak and Meeple, Brian makes video reviews of board games. I got in touch with him for my game 'Scuba' and he made a great review for it and I enjoyed the smooth contact with him. So let's have him introduced, shall we?

Brian Everett
United States
Lorain
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:

Wow… where do I begin? First huge thanks for Martin for nominating me.
I am Brian from Ohio in the United States and am 35 years old. I have always liked board games, but being an only child, I rarely got a chance to play them. In 2014, on a whim, I started Cloak and Meeple, a board game review blog. I’ve since migrated to YouTube and post reviews, previews, and other geeky things I find interesting.

So, I guess there is where I tell you some “facts” about myself… so here we go.

Right after graduating high school, I was offered the opportunity to study abroad in England. I jumped at the opportunity to leave my rural setting and see the other side of the pond. I lived with an awesome family while I was there. One tradition they had was that they had family game night. So, we would finish dinner and pull out one of the classics from the cupboard every Thursday. The usual fair was what we played. Monopoly, Scrabble, Life. I did get my first taste of Settlers of Catan (it will always be Settlers of Catan to me). Having never had a sibling of my own, it was a blast to have a “brother” to team up with and take down the adults at the table.

I really got into modern board games when my partner and I went to the comic store in search of a new series (52 in case you were wondering). After we set up a pull file, we would go in every few weeks and pick them up. It was a small store, that was busy with Magic tournaments and lots of college student traffic, since it was in a college town. Aside from the comic books and CCGs they sold, they had a small selection of board games. I would browse them as we waited for our comics to be pulled from our file. One caught my eye, Kill Doctor Lucky, a reverse Clue of sorts. With that one game, my modern board game collection started.

A few years later, I met some new neighbors that moved into the house next door. A young couple, both teachers at local high schools. They left a note on our door one day asking if we liked board games or Dungeon and Dragons. Having never played D&D before (Yes, I had a very sheltered childhood) I was intrigued. We began a small campaign. Weekly, we would meet up and play D&D or board games. This blossomed into a fantastic friendship, and right before their first child was born, they asked my partner, Will, and myself to be their son’s Godparents. Of course, we accepted.

And here we are. I have been running Cloak and Meeple for over 2 years now. I have over 200 games in my collection and desperately in need of a Kallex (or 2). If you want to find out more about Cloak and Meeple, you can find it on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.

So let the Hunger Games begin… er… wait… questions, I am supposed to answer questions…

Poll
Which one is false?
Traveled abroad and had family game night each week
Comic books started my modern board game collection
Through board games, I got a Godson
      40 answers
Poll created by Duikertje1990

Here are some questions to start you off Brian:

coffee Why did you start making reviews?
tobacco What is the game you enjoyed the most that you reviewed?
indigo What are your favorite 3 games to play?
sugar Did you have a chance to play Pokemon Master Trainer yet, and if so, what did you think of it?
corn Which games are highest on your wishlist at the moment and why?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Everett
United States
Lorain
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Here are some questions to start you off Brian:

coffee Why did you start making reviews?
tobacco What is the game you enjoyed the most that you reviewed?
indigo What are your favorite 3 games to play?
sugar Did you have a chance to play Pokemon Master Trainer yet, and if so, what did you think of it?
corn Which games are highest on your wishlist at the moment and why?

Enjoy your week!

Thanks Martin!
coffee I started because I thought it would be something fun to do as a hobby. And once I thought of the name "Cloak and Meeple" I knew I had to use it.
tobacco The game that I (and my group) has enjoyed is FUNemployed! It comes out when we have new folks or know we are having a large group. It plays well with new, old, and non gamers. We usually are in tears when playing.
indigo Top 3 currently are Dead of Winter: The Longest Night, Mysterium, and Sheriff of Nottingham.
sugar I have not yet played Pokémon Master Trainer yet. I am even more sad that I know very little about it... (I will look it up shortly)
corn Highest on my wishlist... hm... Well I could say some Kickstarters I'm still waiting for, but I won't. I have some weird games on my wishlist. I really want my own copy of vanilla Pandemic. I am currently playing through Pandemic Legacy (on November now) and I would really love to introduce it to my brother in law. Rather than jumping into the legacy, I'd love to go back to the basics and start from there. Or just get Legacy again... What else... Ooh, how could I forget. T.I.M.E Stories! I've been drooling over this for a while now. I want to play this!!!!!

And thanks again Martin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Monnat Jr
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Brian!

Have you played the Mysterium expansion, yet?

Have you ever used Dixit cards with Mysterium?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Everett
United States
Lorain
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeorgeMo wrote:

Have you played the Mysterium expansion, yet?

Have you ever used Dixit cards with Mysterium?

Thanks!

I have not yet... soon... soon....

I have not used Dixit cards. I have looked at some of the Dixit cards but I just don't think they convey enough... the cards in Mysterium do a better job...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Brian, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Brian!
Have a great week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Everett
United States
Lorain
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:
Congratulations Brian!
Have a great week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?

Thanks. My favorite wizard would be Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander. Not from a game, but from Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Brian and enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on making Geek of the Week!

I have a few questions for you......
1 What is your opinion of war gaming?
2 Do you have a favorite war game; if so, what is it?
3 What are your opinions or memories of playing Risk?
4 What are your opinions or memories of playing Axis & Allies?
5 What game would you tell all gamers about that just has no publicity and that nobody knows about?

I thank you for your time. thumbsup cool

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Brian!

Whats the best game you've ever only played once?

Whats the best game you've ever only played twice?

Whats the best game you've ever only played three times?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Levin
Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Brian!

So, here are my questions:

If you were a game designer (maybe you are), which existing Board Game would you've liked to be the designer of? Why?

Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Monnat Jr
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
Zed's a great one. Books or TV show?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Everett
United States
Lorain
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
midnight_reaper wrote:
Congratulations on making Geek of the Week!

I have a few questions for you......
1 What is your opinion of war gaming?
2 Do you have a favorite war game; if so, what is it?
3 What are your opinions or memories of playing Risk?
4 What are your opinions or memories of playing Axis & Allies?
5 What game would you tell all gamers about that just has no publicity and that nobody knows about?

I thank you for your time. thumbsup cool

-M_R

Thanks!

1 I appreciate the time and commitment that others put into it. It is, however, not my thing
2 I am a big fan of War, the card game and Rock, Paper, Scissors. No seriously. As I said, it just isn't for me.
3 I have never played vanilla Risk. I have played Risk: Godstorm, once. It is still in my collection, but it has not hit the table.
4 I've never played Axis & Allies. If you want to play it cool, I'll be over here killing zombies.
5 I would tell them about Iconica. It was a game I found early on on Etsy. It is a simple battle game, with some cool deco art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Everett
United States
Lorain
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jrtolf wrote:
Congratulations, Brian!

Whats the best game you've ever only played once?

Whats the best game you've ever only played twice?

Whats the best game you've ever only played three times?

1. I got to demo Potion Explosion @ Origins this year. It will be released at GenCon. This game is fun!
2. Tokaido. I was able to snag a Collectors Edition at my FLGS. It has only hit the table 2x so far, but I really enjoy it!
3. Rampage (Terror in Meeple City). According to BGG, I've only logged 3 plays of this one. Not sure if that is true, but feels accurate. I have fun with this one. Setup takes a bit, but it is fun to smash stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Everett
United States
Lorain
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThisisRodrigo wrote:
Congratulations Brian!

So, here are my questions:

If you were a game designer (maybe you are), which existing Board Game would you've liked to be the designer of? Why?

Have a great week!

Thanks!

Hmm... Not a game designer (but I have many ideas floating around in my head), but if I was one... my gut says Dominion, 'cause I wouldn't be broke lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Everett
United States
Lorain
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeorgeMo wrote:
Zed's a great one. Books or TV show?

Book. I love Bruce Spence, but the whole series changed how characters looked too much (but tv and movies tend to do that). Plus they didn't do the "naked on the wizard's rock" scene that introduces Zedd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo B.
Italy
Genova
flag msg tools
All right. Then, fine. The title is "Cheese Song". Eh-hem. Hn... Here I go:
badge
Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Brian! Enjoy your week thumbsup

What's the weirdest thing that's happened while you were playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Brian!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Everett
United States
Lorain
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kintarouji wrote:
Congratulations Brian! Enjoy your week thumbsup

What's the weirdest thing that's happened while you were playing?

Thanks... Hm.. weirdest thing that has ever happened... I recall a game of Sentinels of the Multiverse. We had setup for a big 6 player game. New players were prepped and ready. Decks were shuffled. First round was played. Then the baddie killed itself in it's first turn. "'F' it, I'm out" lol It was easy enough to restart, but I had an awesome starting hand... lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tenpence nonthericher
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw "Everett" and did a double take.

Congrats mate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Verdonck
Belgium
Edegem
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Brian! Enjoy your time as GotW meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Everett
United States
Lorain
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tenpence wrote:
Congrats!!

Thanks!

Toenail21 wrote:
I saw "Everett" and did a double take.

Congrats mate!

lol, thanks!

LordT wrote:
Congratulations Brian! Enjoy your time as GotW meeple

I am, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day Brian,

I try to remember to ask each Geek of the Week these gaming related questions, so to start with here's the ever so slightly modified GeekSpeak Hook questions for you:
Favourite game(s) for d10-1 player (optional, many non-wargamers wouldn't have an answer for this)
Favourite game(s) for d10-2 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-3 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-4 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-5 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-6 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-7 or more players (and you may choose a Party Game here although I wouldn't meeple )

Also Word Association Football , I will list a word and you list a game or games that you associate with it. If you like you can expand and tell us if you like it/them or hate it/them and possibly why.

Space ships
Witches
Trains
Transport (may include trains)
Workers (paid or otherwise)
Trading
Building
Pink
Theme
Ships
Money
Purple
Government
Vampires
Infrastructure
Dice
Dinosaurs
Gemstones
Dragons
Beer
Wands

Is there any particular game that you have played recently, new or old, that you would like to recommend to readers of this thread? And optionally, why?

Last but not least, what are the five games that you have played most recently?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Nall
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Congrats Brian! Well deserved recognition!

I have a few questions for you:

Do you feel its important for media content creators to consume others shows - Or do you believe we should focus on what we do and try to not allow other creators to influence show content?

Is there a theme that you feel is overlooked and should be represented better in boardgaming?

Churro or Ice Cream?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.