Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corporal Dave
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few things to like in the game. (Full disclosure- I am plagiarizing from my own CSW post.)

I like that, just like Krueger, if you land at Lingayen, you can leave your left flank open for the drive to Manila and take the chance Yamashita will sit still while you do. If you're correct, you have all your combat power available to take Clark Field, Manila, Corregidor, Bataan and the bay coast. If you're incorrect, you're probably going to lose.

I like the variable victory conditions. Clear a few required areas, then either liberate more cities or cut the Japanese from their supplies.

While it can be tedious, I like the front line trace showing the line between friendly and occupied territory. I'm old school that way!

I like the beautiful map, though I would like to make a few suggestions to improve it (from my very personal and weak-eyed perspective).

I like the way it seamlessly avoids the nightmare of refining the Japanese order of battle with no detriment to the game whatsoever.

I like that the artificially assigned and short timeframe for winning doesn't feel as artificial as it does in most wargames. Of course, that is because MacArthur and his ego/ timeline is YOUR timeline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corporal Dave
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At end of turn 1, I have made a mad dash south from Lingayen towards Manila, pushing through Clark Field. I haven't cleared Clark Field yet, and I left the 43rd ID and the 13th Armored Group in case Yamashita decides to move on the beachhead.

At the end of turn 2, we find how slow it can be to clear Intramuros and Manila. The 503rd PIR has liberated Corregidor, and the 25th ID has landed on the west coast of Bataan, cleared ZigZag Pass (with an assist from the 40th ID, which also did some more heavy work clearing Clark Field) to continue on to clear Manila Bay. The 13th Armored Group and 6th Ranger Battalion have moved to liberate more cities, while the 1st Cavalry Division, 11th Airborne Division and 158th RCT move to liberate towns near the Shobu Group and prepare to defend if need be.

(I am not sure why the idiot-in-charge moved the 43rd ID from all the way north to all the way south, instead of sending one of the newly-arrived divisions down there. Events may prove the army commander should be sacked.)

Time and the Japanese are the enemy. With MacArthur imposing a short deadline, all of this combat power down south may prove to be fatal to my career. But how to liberate the Manila area without combat power? It can't be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.