Subject: "Gain a card" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Pihl
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.
I've searched the forum, yet I cannot find an answer - maybe because the search returned 100+ results.

Anyhow!
If a card reads eg. "trash a card and gain another card costing 1 more.". If i then trash a card, MUST i then take a another card, or is optional to take another card?

May you all enjoy the weekend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is not optional, unless there are not any cards costing 1 more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
59 4 76(!!) 14 7 52
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that, in your example, trashing is also not optional. Dominion text is mandatory unless it is specifically phrased to be conditional ("if you did") or optional ("may"). Conditional text is likewise mandatory unless otherwise noted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Pihl
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much, both of you :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another one is you must do as much of what the card instructs as you can
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
Note that, in your example, trashing is also not optional. Dominion text is mandatory unless it is specifically phrased to be conditional ("if you did") or optional ("may"). Conditional text is likewise mandatory unless otherwise noted.
While this is true, it might, for example, say "Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing exactly 1 more than the trashed card."

None of that is optional. Playing the card IS optional (almost always), but once you play it, you must do all that you can.

If you trash a Copper, and there is no card that costs 1 in the supply, then you gain no card. If you have no cards in hand, then you cannot trash a card, and no card in the supply costs 1 more than the trashed card, because there is no trashed card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:

This can be misleading; I first read it as saying that if an action is followed by "if you did" then the action is optional. I assume you mean that an action that's preceded by "if you did" will not always happen, but even then, it is NOT optional; if you did the first thing, you MUST do the second thing. And you can look at Madman for an action followed by "If you did", but the action is still mandatory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.