Subject: Squad building apps rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Rose
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good squad building app please. I've downloaded a couple but finding them difficult to use.

Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Wiley
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
iPhone or Android?

I know there are couple popular ones for Android.

Only one I know of for iPhone is called Aurora SB or something like that.

I also just use the web version of http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Rose
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. It's for android.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Underwood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
And it doesn't look good for you...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Startactics on Android.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Rose
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded it yesterday but I can't figure out how to go back and add upgrades to a ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Underwood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
And it doesn't look good for you...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Click on the saved list you want to edit and in the top right there should be a pencil/pen symbol that will open the list back up to be edited again so you can change/add upgrades to any of the ships in that list.

I can't say if it's the best app out there as it's the only one I have used but I really like it. Took me 20 minutes messing around to figure out it's features but worth the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Rose
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Managed to figure it out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my review of a couple that I've used. If you are tech savvy I'd definitly recommend Aurora. Has more power but a bit higher learning curve. Startactics is a bit more user friendly but lacks power user functionality.

I've used Startactics for a good while.

Pros
-Simple to quick build a list
-Quickly updated
-Collection locking (you can only build lists that you own the parts for) ***note, this can be shut off manually for other lists
-Full card art/text
-Maneuver cards
-Expansion info - "What expansion does this come in?" and "What comes in this expansion?"

Cons
-Security concerns - the app requires access to personal information. This was explained as needed for sharing purposes.
-Ads - You can donate to remove them. Gotta make money somewhere so I'm not too upset over it.
-No x-wing exchange format support - this is the format that "all" squad builder, Cryodex, and ListJuggler use to share squads so anyone can import/export to any program.
-No custom squad/card support
-No copy functionality either list or ship

Another program I've been using lately is Aurora

Pros
-Smaller text means more info on the screen
-Supports x-wing exchange format
-A lot more information on pilot and upgrade card listing
-Multi platform - this is on android and apple products
-List/Ship copy ability - good for building swarms
-Supports custom ships/cards
-Supports mixed faction lists
-Quickly updated, good forum communications, constantly upgrading/adding new functionality

Cons
-Nested menues - for example when you click on a b-wing it goes to a new screen which shows all the pilots. Startactics has a dropdown so you can see them all and jump between ships quickly.
-Nested menues make rappid list building difficult
-Small text means some things are hard to click on if your device has a small screen
-Some functionality not obvious - Not everyone knows there's a "press and hold" menu. After you figure that out it's smooth sailing. Also, "How do I add a list/ship?" well there's a tiny plus sign in the upper right. "How do I add upgrades to my ship?" You have to click on the ship to open the sub menu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I really like X-Wing Squads Designer, which got pulled from the app store for unknown reasons, but the designer is still keeping it up to date and you can find the APK to sideload it here: https://plus.google.com/communities/108260866778071859673

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use X-wing Squadron Builder. I like that it's got the epic ships in it as not all do.

If you want an app to just look stuff up, I would HIGHLY recommend X-wing Companion. It doesn't let you build lists, but it displays all the cards and info in the best possible way that I've ever seen. It shows things by ship and faction. Shows the dials, pilots and titles. You can then click down in there to view all the different upgrade cards you can add and just back up a bit. You can view just the upgrade cards in the formats you want. It tells you what blisters they come in. You can search by blister and see what comes in a pack. It's just amazing how it displays all the info you need for the game. I've found it is the best way to just look stuff up and free form think about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Valentine
msg tools
mb
X-Wing Squadron Builder definitely gets my vote as well. I also use it just to look up stuff as well since it had a pretty nice search function and reference library.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Here is the link on Google Play for X-Wing Squadron Builder

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=es.eko.squadro...

Also 'Yet Another' is web based and good:
http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/

And
'X-Wing Builder' is another web based
http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build

They should fit on a phone or tablet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.