Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The title says it all: if I sleeve everything in premium sleeves, will it all fit in the new Crime Wave box?

Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DePasquale
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As per a comment by Evan on one of the photos, they are working with the manufacturer still on the box. They are working to make sure it fits sleeved cards, though not sure if that includes premium sleeves. The slot for cards is quite long and will hold future expansions so if the height and width of the card are not the issue but how much room they will take up sleeved, j think it might be OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
We will do our best to accommodate for players that like to sleeve.

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have mine sleeved in Dragon Shield sleeves. They barely fit. They are very tight in the box. They don't fit in in the suggested layout, but they still fit in. Of course, there is plenty of space left over if you leave some cards in your original box or start putting cards in the central area rather than the card wells.

Just as an FYI, one of those areas designed to hold tokens (see the diagram) may not work for cards. Cards I put in there were getting bowed.

Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, they do not. The insert doesn't work for any sleeves that give you too much height (which is most).

I was VERY disappointed when I started working with my sleeved cards yesterday to see what would or wouldn't fit.

Here is the problem, the bottom of the insert curves inwards (like most vacu-form inserts do). While technically you can force sleeved cards into the insert, the first time you pull them out, the corners of the sleeves will be messed up, curved inward from the bottom of the insert. God help you if you leave them in the box for more then a day or two because they will be a nightmare to shuffle.

Things get worse when you are talking about the "north" component wells, one of which we are supposed to put the conversation, terror, and pivotal event cards in. That well is even narrower then the normal card wells and the dividers don't even fit at the bottom of the well.

EGG designed the Baseball Highlights 2045 insert to fit sleeved cards and they were SHOCKED when my review was posted, and I shared my disappointment that the insert didn't work to hold sleeved cards. They had the exact same problem, curved bottoms of the card wells. Here is the real problem. When you are designing an insert for sleeved cards, you need to make sure the people making the design actually use sleeved cards regularly. Non-sleevers just don't "get it".

So what is the solution?

Well, luckily, HN's conversation cards don't require shuffling, so I'm not going to bother sleeving those and I'll fit them in the small component well. For the cards I do sleeve (mostly Terror cards and Pivotal Event cards) I'm trying to get enough of Mayday Games' Premium 63.5 x 88 mm sleeves. These sleeves are often cut pretty short and so you don't have much space at the top of the card, so they actually fit this insert pretty well. The problem with Mayday's sleeves is of course very well documented, there is a ton of variability between sleeves from different packs, so you will notice unevenness in your sleeve length, which is super annoying, but not the end of the world if that is what it takes to fit the cards in your box.

Another option I'm considering is pulling out my Hostage Negotiator core box, and using that well to hold deck boxes (which will contain all my cards. That seems pretty wasteful though, so I may just toss the insert. Its a shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott, which brand of sleeves did you try? I have Dragon Shield brand clear sleeves. I found the whole card was bending in the corner small slot. I will check my sleeves after a day or two in the other slots to confirm your finding.

FFG sleeves are a major problem in most game inserts. They are just too long. Mayday premium sleeves are my sleeve of choice generally, in part because they are shorter and fit most inserts pretty well.

I had Dragon Shield sleeves on the original set because of what was easily available, and I just continued the trend. I think they may be longer than Mayday sleeves, so I will report back.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tested just about everything except Dragon Shield (FFG to Penny Sleeves). I am a serious sleever and have an impressive on hand collection of most brands and sizes. Dragon Shield is over priced IMHO so I don't bother with them.

I think that Mayday Premiums will work because they tend to be slightly shorter then the same size in standard thickness. My Mayday standard sleeves fit without the corners getting bent, but it was REAL close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.