BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Painting poker chips rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario Trappe
msg tools
mb
Hey guys,
I'like to use Poker Chips for money in boardgames. Now I wonder if I can Use any Spray color I like or if some colors won't Stick to the Chips. Can I just Spray em or do I have to prepare the Chips before sprayin?
Any experience? Suggestions?
P.s. I don't wanna pa to much money fo the colors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
21 22 44 19 6 12 ??
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have to admit that I'm a little surprised that you can find chips without colors + paint cheaper than just finding chips. There are 300-pc 5-color chip sets (in cases!) on the web for $20, which is fine for most board games (5 colors and 300 chips will stretch you up to a $30k bank with $500 chips).

Otherwise, I'd suggest test spraying a couple of chips. The issue won't be whether a particular color adheres but whether a particular type of paint does (enamel, acrylic, whatever it is, plus whatever material you're spraying it on). The can of paint ought to have a list of what it's appropriate for, and somebody working the paint counter at the local store can also probably help out.

Also, for reference, clearclaw's definitive poker chip thread. Lots of discussion about the pros and cons of various chips (even if it sounds like most of them will be outside of your budget).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy a circle paper punch, and print out some graphics to apply.

How I Made Some Gaming Poker Chips

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
21 22 44 19 6 12 ??
badge
mbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
Buy a circle paper punch, and print out some graphics to apply.

How I Made Some Gaming Poker Chips
Nice looking, but relative to spray paint, really expensive. But it's one of the better options if you're making sure that players' totals are secret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll depend on the outer material of the poker chips. The plastic coated will likely have the paint wear off with use over time unless you use a thick sealant/varnish over the top.

Clay chips paint well. I've even painted some in the past with acrylic paints and had no major issues. (Again they do scratch over time without a varnish.

All in all you'll likely need to test a couple out, let them dry and then simulated some use, sweaty hands and rubbing etc to see how it holds up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, Krylon sells "paint and primer" spray cans. Cheap and worth a shot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Trappe
msg tools
mb
THX for the fast answer. Any suggestions which glue will work if I don't Paint em and use Labels instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Mojonese wrote:
THX for the fast answer. Any suggestions which glue will work if I don't Paint em and use Labels instead?

Use A4 sticker paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mojonese wrote:

There are many vendors that will make stickers for poker chips, but the quality varies widely. Vinyl labels labels will wear much better and are more likely to have better adhesives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Trappe
msg tools
mb
What about Mod podge? Does it work with photo paper and chips

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wionzek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
There are many vendors that will make stickers for poker chips, but the quality varies widely. Vinyl labels labels will wear much better and are more likely to have better adhesives.

One of these days, I need to get the place I work to make me up some labels...I just need some decent(-ish) chips to put them on. Too bad it's harder to find chips in Canada without gross shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
www.skybluepink.com may have custom poker chips that are already painted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.