Popular Tags: [View All]
Maik Hennebach
Germany
Frankfurt
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Okay, this is the big one, inspired by the old joke about what the buddhist says at the hot dog stand: Make me one with everything. 26 decks from a full playset (3x Core Set and Assault on Ulthuan, 1x everything else). The best thing is probably that you can build them all at once without any need for proxies or switching cards from one deck to another between plays. A lot of the decks are based on an earlier set that I created after the end of the Bloodquest cycle, but with the full game, the neutral factions enter the fray and there are some extremely nifty cards that allow for new strategies. Plus, the large card pool allows for nice thematical consistency in a number of decks. The three decks dedicated to a Chaos God are obvious examples, of course..

Apart from general balance, a main design goal was to avoid the excessive speed of typical tournament decks, so the typical game will last about a dozen turns instead of just three or four. This has the added benefit of making some of the more expensive (and more fun) units worthwhile. Also, I've tried to use the maximum number of copies for a lot of units, which makes for less reading and more playing. On the other hand, unique units are really unique for the most part - there are some exceptions when a hero or legend is crucial to how a deck works.

The decks can be found here in the folder named 26 Casual Decks. I'm not sure how long Invasion is going to be supported on that side - even now, there is an annoying bug with Innovation - so I've created a text file with all the decks. As a rough guide, I've written a few words about each deck and tried to grade the ease of playing with them (Easy/Intermediate/Complex). If you want to know more about them just ask away.

Chaos

Khorne (Easy) - The followers of the Blood God hit hard and hit early. A lot of the units are bred for battle, so try not to neglect your Quest and Kingdom zones. A couple of quests that play to your strengths will broaden your options, and the decision when to play the Rifts of Battle is not always an easy one.

Nurgle (Intermediate) - Shore up your defenses with Stricken Warriors, stave off attacks by gifting your foes with sweet diseases and let your Marauder Chieftains nibble away at his Capital. All the while, build up developments for a big Innovation turn or to Unleash the Spell for the killing blow.

Tzeentch (Intermediate) - The Changer of Ways provides many paths to victory: controlling the enemy with your Sorcerers of Tzeentch, using Khorvak Grimbreath after corrupting some of your units, or a dramatic Full Moon Rising when you've assembled a couple of developments in your Battlefield.

Sweet Helplessness (Complex) - This is kind of a secret Slaanesh decks, but it needs a lot of help from other corners to work. The key here is not to kill off the enemy units you corrupt, but keep them in your embrace - they are more useful that way.

Dark Elves

Assassins (Complex) - Centered around the Council of Thirteen, this bloodthirsty crew will make the death of your opponent's units useful in addition to extremely satisfying. In a pinch, you can always off some of your own cheaper units, of course.

Cavalry (Intermediate) - Milling with a thematic twist. Both Crone Hellebron and the Spawn of Kintearer can severely deplete the other deck, and some of your units are extremely strong as a defense, giving you enough time to complete the mill for the win.

Dark Discard (Easy) - Attack the hand of your adversary, and destroying his Capital will take care of itself as soon as your Sorceress Convents are on the table. Another path to victory is to choke off his supplies with Hag Queens and Bladewinds, forcing him to discard new cards before ever getting a chance to put them in play. Warpstones of Turmoil are a fun way to ensure there are cards for you to discard.

Slave Mines (Complex) - Cheap slaves enter the field only to provide fodder for your heavy hitters. Even better, Slaver Raid, Grasping Darkness and Take Captive! offer the possibility of sacrificing the forces of your enemy to your dark satanic mills. Friend or foe - the Slave Pen don't care. And the Hag Graef Mines are awaiting. those that survive longer under the whip.

Dwarves

Cash is King (Intermediate) - Spending gold is fine, but every dwarf knows that keeping gold and still making it work for you is far better. King Alrik and Thorek are only some of the ways you can achieve this, and the Helstorm Batteries are a great way to burn money in your defense.

Grudgy Slayers (Easy) - A little anger goes a long way, especially if the Vengeance of Stone and Blood punishes the transgressions of your enemy. Spoils of War and Bordertowns are a nice way to make those transgressions a bit more attractive to him. Once your troops are assembled, Lure Them Out and Spirit Slayers will ensure that the foe will actually put up a fight.

Roots and Branches (Intermediate) - Somewhere in the vast recesses of this deck is an answer to every threat your enemy can provide. The problem is finding it in time ... Mining Tunnels will help with this, but the real secret is to put as many cards as possible out as developments. Sooner or later, a Pageant of Shrikes or an Abandoned Mine will allow you to choose the perfect card from a very big selection. Meanwhile, many of your troops will put those development to good use.

Runesmiths (Intermediate) - The Heart Forge provides. It gifts mighty Runes of Resistance to the worthy warriors of the hold and protects them with Spelleater Runes. It also bundles the slightly less worthy warriors with Oathstones without revealing the exact uses of these. The Dwarf Rangers and Grudgebearers know, of course. They also how that the powerful Master Runes of Spite will not distinguish overmuch between friend or foe, and why this need not be a bad thing.

Empire

Knights (Intermediate) - Oh, how glorious to quest for the Emperor! Stoke the Forges of Nuln, Recruit for War and Recon in Force. On the other side of your Capital, developing your Kingdom will allow your Shrines to Taal to bolster the sword arms of your brave knights and your Innovations to bring even more lances into the fray. When the ranks are assembled, send them into the Battlefield (via Temple of Shallya or as Hidden Operatives) and use their mobility to make good use of the Higher Grounds that the just gods thoughtfully prepared.

Mage Alliance (Intermediate) - Volkmar the Grim leads an alliance of elven and human mages. Even without the legend entering the fray himself, the Osterknacht Elite will force the hardiest foes from the field of battle. They will by the time to set up a network of mages that the Devotees of Chamon (preferably bolstered by Dragon Mage Wakening) can use to maximum effect.

Warriors (Easy) - Another alliance, this time of sturdy dwarven and eager human warriors who all have come to trade the fiddle for the drum. Put up a bit of defense in Kingdom and Quest, amass a force of cheap attackers and go to war. Your enemies will come to fear the beating of your drum ...

High Elves

Indirect Damage (Easy) - Overwhelm your enemies with a barrage of indirect damage. Outposts of Tiranoc will turn even your small Sea Guard Captains into an uncomfortable source of pain, and once the Descendants of Indraugnir emerge from the fires of the Temple of Vaul, things will probably go your way.

Korhil Charge (Intermediate) - Centered around the hero Korhil and the Tiranoc Chariot, who will bring some of the oodles of cheap elven units into your Battlefield. Barracks of Chrace increase their chances of drawing some warriors to their side. On the defensive side, yours will be a thorny defense once you have a Herald of Morai-Heg or a White Lion Vanguard in place to Defend Tor Aendris.

Princes of Caledor (Complex) - I love this deck so much that I may have failed in tuning it down enough. Since the exact gaming rules regarding its central trick is a bit demanding , here's a short summary of the most important facts instead of a more flavory description: Uncancellable damage can be redirected, and it will stay uncancellable, so it can hit enemies that have Toughness. However, all of the unit actions that start with "This unit takes 1 uncancellable damage. If it does, ..." will not trigger from redirected damage, since the unit did not actually take it. Essentially, once you have Tyrion on the table, you can give 1 uncancellable damage to an enemy unit for each of your redirecting guys every turn, and then use their ability as usual. Fun if it works.

Spells and Scales (Intermediate) - The many elvish arts of healing and the Savagery of Lizardmen are two tastes that go great together. A large number of heroes will make Ancent Stegadons a bargain, and most of those heroes are very useful anyway. The Glittering Tower will hit those who survived the Lizardmen, and if your opponent is discourteous enough to assemble a large fighting force in spite of that, there are always the Flames of the Phoenix.

Lizardmen

Lizards (Easy) - A pure and hard-hitting crew of jungle warriors that is very good at keeping down the units on the other side of the table. In fact, the biggest design challenge here was to tone their strength down a bit, and restricting the extremely effective Scar-Leader Kroq-Gar to a single copy was one of the necessary measures.

Orcs

I Feel No Pain (Intermediate) - Pain is your friend, and Orc Shamans as well as Savage and Red 'Ead Boyz will make sure that there's a steady supply of it. It's hard to point out a unit that does not benefit from getting a little bruised up before entering the fray, and once Big 'Uns (whether Frenzied or not) assemble in the Battlefield, every orc you got will be a glutton for punishment. If and when Azhag the Slaughterer should show up, your frenzied mob will be very hard to stop.

Odd Goblins (Easy) - There are only very few cards in here that don't have their natural habitat in the Battlefield, and given the right starting hand, you might not ever need more than three resources and a fresh card to rush everything down very quickly. Scrap Heaps help to compensate the biggest weakness of Spider Riders and other cheapos, and they also prolong the life of your key units: Night Goblin Fanatic and Sneaky Gits. This was another deck that was in serious need of being clamped down a bit, and sprinkling in a couple of cost 2 goblins helped both with that and the theme of the deck.

Petting Zoo (Intermediate) - If you like your creatures, here's the deck for you! It starts with a large variety of Squigs, complete with a set of Trackers and Herders. Toof Traders will provide lots of more beasties, and if you are prepared to lay out a bit more, even the legendary Arachnarok Spider can be yours. A small sub-theme is the ability to attack more than once in a turn, and this is an occasion for the Swarm of Bats to really shine.

Skaven

Warp Power (Intermediate) - Starting with little corrupted rat here and another one there, at some point this will convert into a sudden wave of big and ugly critters. The biggest challenge here, as with most pure Skaven decks, is surviving long enough to make that happen. Nevertheless, this one is usually fun to play, and cheating out Hellpit Abominations with a Vermintide or Master Moulder never fails to please.

Undead

Chaos Vampires (Intermediate) - This might need some further tuning ... the problem here is that the deck really hinges on the Dark Acolytes. If you get one in your starting hand against an opponent without the means to get rid of units, you will overwhelm him, but otherwise your units are so expensive that you'll probably flounder. Proceed with caution and let me know how it goes.

Wood Elves

Voice of the Trees (Intermediate) - Kind of a mirror image of the dwarven Roots and Branches deck, with the crucial difference that you will pick what cards you place as developments (apart from the first three provided by your capital power). The Wildwood Groves and Slumbering Titans alone would probably make this the best defensive deck in this collection, but there are a couple of fun offensive tricks, too. And enlisting a trio of Celestial Wizards gives you the means to make life uncomfortable for opposing units, often quite surprisingly due to a Dance to Loec.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diana craciun
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for keeping this alive.

Have you tried making any decks included the Forever war fan expansion cards ?
Just curious what your opinion would be, Variety, Balance, Fun...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for making the effort with this. I'm going to build a few of these and rope friends into playing. I continue to think W:I is one of the best card games ever designed and deserved better.

Small question: concerning Undead. I toyed with the idea of building a Von Carstein deck that basically aimed to get and keep him in play (shouldn't be too hard with his Necromancy ability) and then using cheap units and tactics with discard abilities to drain my deck as quickly as possible. I'd more or less be ignoring the Battlefield. Think that's a reasonable option?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is fantastic! Would you consider uploading a pdf of your text file to BGG? I'd love to print it and put it in my base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this. I'd second the request to post a pdf here. I'm a member of Deckbox, so it's not mission critical. I, too, have been trying to build as many decks as I can with trips of all cards. I think yours requires even less than that since you don't mention having 3x Corruption Cycle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Trust no one
badge
ümlaüt
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for updating this! I have greatly enjoyed your previous list, and I've had the last cycle and two deluxe expansions sitting around mostly unused since the FFG holiday sale. I made a couple neutral faction decks, but nothing too exciting yet. I'm very happy to have a pre-fabbed use for all of those new cards! I'm much keener on playing the game than doing a ton of deck building, so this is perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Hennebach
Germany
Frankfurt
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thanks to everybody for the kind words!

A couple of answers to specific remarks or questions:

scubadawg1 wrote:
This is fantastic! Would you consider uploading a pdf of your text file to BGG? I'd love to print it and put it in my base game.

The text file is uploaded now (see here) and is also linked to in the edited original post - I forgot that files need to be approved.

Cardboardjunkie wrote:
I, too, have been trying to build as many decks as I can with trips of all cards. I think yours requires even less than that since you don't mention having 3x Corruption Cycle.

Yeah, another thing I forgot - only one copy of each battle pack, including Corruption Cycle. Feel free to put all your copies of Abandoned Mine into the Branches and Roots deck, though

Blood Bowl 4 ever wrote:
Have you tried making any decks included the Forever war fan expansion cards ?
Just curious what your opinion would be, Variety, Balance, Fun...

I was torn between putting Forever War in or leaving it out, and ultimately decided against it due to the simple reason that you'd need opaque sleeves for all your cards to include them. However, from testing them in some of the predecessors of the 26 decks, I know that most of them make a very nice fit.

chall wrote:
Small question: concerning Undead. I toyed with the idea of building a Von Carstein deck that basically aimed to get and keep him in play (shouldn't be too hard with his Necromancy ability) and then using cheap units and tactics with discard abilities to drain my deck as quickly as possible. I'd more or less be ignoring the Battlefield. Think that's a reasonable option?

I think it's a good option for a tournament deck (my original version of the Chaos Vampires includes a single copy of Count Vlad), but it can be frustrating to play against if you don't have any of the few answers against it. So for this casual set I decided to go Legend-less for the Undead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Webb
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic! I very much appreciate the time you took to put this all together.

Any changes you would suggest for Cataclysm 2v2 games? My plan is to pre-build a bunch of decks. Come game day, we'll have a bag with 2 tokens for order and 2 for destruction. Each player draws one and then grabs a deck of of the suitable faction and we have at it. Basically plan to play it as a giant big box game that I can tweak to keep it interesting.

I was planning to use your guide to 19 decks as a start, and now we'll have 7 more to choose from. Many thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Webb
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I originally planned to make the decks as close to mono faction as possible. I liked the idea of easily defined matchups like: Empire+Lizardmen vs Chaos+Skaven.

I noticed many of the main faction decks are multi-faction. Is this for balance / fully exploring a theme reasons? Think the card pools has enough cards to slide some of them over to single faction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Webb
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While putting the decks together I made this simple graphic showing each expansion's symbol:

I found it a helpful aid in finding the cards for each deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Jolive
France
flag msg tools
Thank You Maik.

Great job and nice work. I play your Decks with my son so the game is still alive thanks to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Webb
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Put your decks to work this weekend with great success. We had a blast. At least one of the 3 others hooked. He suggested we each take two decks to play repeatedly and learn, then play 2v2 cataclysm again.

I'm switching undead to this deck:https://deckbox.org/sets/1489917?v=v (mostly because I want to use the legend and like the idea and art behind the liber mortis and windcatcher prism. hooray for casual)

Thanks again for posting the decks. We'll have a lot of fun with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.