$30.00
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this 4 players last night. It was our first time and everyone seemed to really enjoy it (we played it for like 4 hours! In our defense we were learning it as we played. I knew enough to get us started but the rest we learned along the way.

Anyways... I wanted to confirm whether we played his correctly. By round 5 all of the 8 theories were out on the board. So during this round there was some debunking that took place. I understand that if you have declared to do a debunk AND a publish/endorse action in the same round, then immediately after you debunk a theory you have the option to immediately republish, as long as you work with the ingredient you debunked, or the theory you just removed from the board (and this costs you your publish/endorse action).

The question I want to confirm is that, since all 8 theories were on the board, my friend debunked one of the theories and removed it from the board (leaving 7 still in place). He would not then be able to immediately republish correct? I said no, because there was nowhere else to put this last theory except back onto the same spot he just removed it from, which is not allowed.

What my friend actually did was choose 2 debunk actions and 1 publish/endorse action in round 5. He debunked a theory, then debunked another, and after the second debunk he immediately republished, so basically he moved theory #8 (the first theory he debunked) to where theory #7 was (the second theory he debunked). Now theory #7 was off the board. Somebody later published that and placed it where theory #8 was initially. Did we do this correctly?

Great game! I was happy to see everyone loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
Sounds correct to me--if all eight theories are down, and your debunk only knocks off one of them (it's possible in master mode to get two at once), you can't do an immediate publish, for the reason you state (all you could do is put it back where it was).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Earle
Canada
flag msg tools
That sounds correct to me.

I think it is correct because he immediately published on the ingredient that originally had theory 7 using theory 8. So he made use of our theory 7 ingredient for his publication. However, he lost the opportunity to use the immediate publish with the first ingredient he debunked because he took a second debunk action.

I don't know if this is correct and please correct me if otherwise... or makes any sense! I also played the game for the first time a couple nights ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duke of Earle wrote:
That sounds correct to me.

I think it is correct because he immediately published on the ingredient that originally had theory 7 using theory 8. So he made use of our theory 7 ingredient for his publication. However, he lost the opportunity to use the immediate publish with the first ingredient he debunked because he took a second debunk action.

I don't know if this is correct and please correct me if otherwise... or makes any sense! I also played the game for the first time a couple nights ago.

Yeah, when he debunked alchemical 8/ingredient 8, since the only theory available to publish at that moment was alchemical 8 on ingredient 8, which he'd just debunked, he couldn't do an immediate publication.

Assuming he was the only person debunking that round, he could then debunk alchemical 7 on ingredient 7, at which point he had two options for immediate publication - alchemical 7 on ingredient 8 or alchemical 8 on ingredient 7 (7 on 7 and 8 on 8, while possible publications, aren't allowed for immediate publication at that point - the former because it's the theory he just debunked; the latter because it doesn't use either element from the theory he debunked).

At that point, anyone else with a cube on publish could publish the remaining theory before he could take a second publish action (assuming he had enough action cubes to take all those actions)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok sounds good. Im glad we played it properly. It was really late and were all very tired

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.