$30.00
Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Alchemists» Forums » Rules

Subject: re: multiple people selling potions - MUST you use the discount cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another quick question about alchemists. My friends and I played our first Apprentice game. There were a couple of incidents where 2 people wanted to sell a potion to an adventurer. I understand the rules explanation as to placing your cubes initially, then using the discount cards to see who becomes first person to sell.

In our game the two people who wanted to sell both wanted to sell different potions, for example, one player wanted to sell a healing potion and the other a speed potion. Both players knew how to make these and both players wanted to get the most money (4g). They agreed they were each going to sell a different potion so there was no conflict as to who would make the first sale because it didn't matter... they were both going to sell something different.

In this case if the players agreed in this way, is it necessary to go through the process of offering discounts? I do realize that either player could have screwed the other one over and ended up selling a potion that wasn't agreed upon but we were all just learning and not really trying to backstab.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Mason
United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could both just throw the zero discount on the table to confirm it.
It falls under the category if you feel OK with it then no harm done, there is nothing in the rules to say you can't discuss what you are going to do that I can remember of.
You bought the game and can play it how you want
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
You should still use the discount cards, basically because if one of the players *does* want to screw the other over, he can't very well say "but I was planning on screwing the other player over" as a argument against not using them, so by even suggesting not using them you're being unfair to those players.

As the above poster says, if both players really are being honest, they can both just play the 0 discount card and it will work out the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess they could have just played the zero discount. Im Sure that now we know how the game plays future sessions will be a little more cut throat last night we were just trying to figure out the rules of the game. Really fun though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
usually you don't tell your opponents what potions you want to sell. because maybe it doesn't matter to them and then they can screw you, whereas if they don't know you have a chance to sell the potion you want.

if you don't tell them, you won't ever be in the described situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.