Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It is my intention to write a brief review (around 300 words) of every game that I play over the coming months. It won't quite be a random sample of games but there is likely to be quite a range; some will be games that I've played many times before, others will be first impressions of games new to me, some I will like, some I will hate, some I may be predisposed to like or hate before I even sit down to them. I make no apologies for this but I will lead with an estimated number of plays and my rating.

Plays: 1 (3 player)
My Rating: 5

At the centre of Siggil is a mechanic that you may recognise from 7 Wonders Duel; what I like to think of as the kind-of-like-Mahjong-but-not-actual-Mahjong-the-actual-game,-like-those-solitaire-PC-games-where-you-start-with-tiles-stacked-and-overlapping-and-can-only-access-certain-tiles-by-removing-the-ones-on-top-of-them-first mechanic (it probably needs a snappier name before it goes in the database).

The careful selection of which card to take when (and therefore which to make available to your opponents) is an interesting mechanic. Unfortunately for Siggil, there's not really a whole lot else going on. There's some simple set collection and the possibility of a little direct conflict (as you can take points from other players) but really all of the important decisions are about taking cards out of the display. My experience was that most of the decisions were fairly clear - you take the card that best fits a set you're working towards unless doing so would give a greater benefit to the next player. It's possible that, if you got to know the game well, it could be interestingly strategic - possible that you could play a long game of carefully controlling access to the cards. However, it just didn't grab me enough for me to want to get to know it that well. It might be easier to see the strategy in a two-player game but with two I'd rather play the aforementioned Duel because it does so much more around the central idea.

Aesthetically, I really like Siggil; the esoteric iconography, the beautiful ethereal artwork - it really appeals to me. However, the Spirit cards - the important point-scoring cards - are only subtly different from the rest of their suit and amidst the big general swirl of a whole setup they're not very easy to make out. Nor is anything else. The visuals are beautiful but if anything they compound the difficulty of making meaningful decisions.

Siggil is mechanically sound and the central mechanic is an interesting one that I hope to see as an element of more games in the future. If you're looking for a very casual game to play without thinking about it too much - just to move the cards around while having a chat - Siggil might fit the bill. Equally, if you want a single game to play with the same small group and to really get into the strategy - to get to the point where you can really see patterns and strategies and anticipate each others' moves - Siggil might be what you're looking for (I really couldn't swear to that though).

What I tend to look for in a game is an initial hook - something that gets me interested enough to really engage with the first play and to want to play it more and explore in more depth. Siggil just didn't grab me in that way - so I'm afraid I won't be going back to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmbmb
This pretty much matches my opinions on it. I've played it solo, with 4 and with 3 players. 3 was definitely the best player count, but it still felt a bit lacking and automatic as to what to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Sullivan
United States
New York
flag msg tools
DicingWithDearth wrote:
what I like to think of as the kind-of-like-Mahjong-but-not-actual-Mahjong-the-actual-game,-like-those-solitaire-PC-games-where-you-start-with-tiles-stacked-and-overlapping-and-can-only-access-certain-tiles-by-removing-the-ones-on-top-of-them-first mechanic (it probably needs a snappier name before it goes in the database).

Great description!

Thank you for this I've been on the fence about Siggil for a couple months now. i think the aesthetics are the only hook though. The rest of it...meh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.