Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Kainu
United States
Berkley
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was browsing reddit in the r/boardgames, and user u/brody31 started a post where he mentioned Target stores will be selling new versions of Codenames, TTR, and Machi Koro. I looked around for more info but couldn't find any more than what was on the reddit. Anyone here know something?
Here is the link to reddit:
https://m.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/4uad4f/new_codena...
Full credit to u/brody31

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Codenames pictures
TTR - rails and sails
Don't really care about Machi koro so I don't know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Kainu
United States
Berkley
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re4isnumber1 wrote:
Codenames pictures
TTR - rails and sails

Actually, this is something completely different. I already know about those titles. Click the reddit link.
Here were the pictures posted by u/brody31

http://imgur.com/a/ttVue

http://imgur.com/a/TqJVg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re4isnumber1 wrote:
Codenames pictures
TTR - rails and sails

Did you not click the link. The first thing you see is that it's not any of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Codenames one is interested. I wonder if it has to do with limiting your sight of the cards? The people on the box seem to be in the dark and unseen.

TTR looks like a young version of the game. Like My First Stone Age. Machi Koro I would guess is a new expansion. Perhaps adding night clubs and similar evening entertainment to the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Saari
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting.

The Ticket to Ride version looks like a kid's version to introduce young ones to the game.

The Codenames puzzles me more. I think that says "Adults Only" on the box, as if they are trying to create a dirtier version of the games (like Telestrations did with After Dark). Seems an odd thing to do with a game that won family game of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
The Codenames one is interested. I wonder if it has to do with limiting your sight of the cards? The people on the box seem to be in the dark and unseen.

I doubt.

Quote:
Codenames Deep Undercover is an Adult-only version of the popular Codenames party game.
Parental Advisory. Explicit Content
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Kainu
United States
Berkley
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah the Codenames Deep Undercover is definitely an R rated version. One of the codename tiles on the back cover is "clam" shake

EDIT: here is the picture
http://i.imgur.com/xruh7n5.jpg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iadrianik wrote:

Quote:
Codenames Deep Undercover is an Adult-only version of the popular Codenames party game.
Parental Advisory. Explicit Content

But.... this seems so unnecessary.

Some games of codenames already get reasonably salty depending on the players.

Ah well. I guess the marketing department knows what they're doing.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robotsandpuppets wrote:
Yeah the Codenames Deep Undercover is definitely an R rated version. One of the codename tiles on the back cover is "clam" shake

EDIT: here is the picture
http://i.imgur.com/xruh7n5.jpg
So yeah, if any of the words from the back of the box had popped up in a regular game, I wouldn't have realized they were "adult" words. I mean, I get what they're going for, but all those words have standard meanings that aren't necessarily adult as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robotsandpuppets wrote:
Re4isnumber1 wrote:
Codenames pictures
TTR - rails and sails

Actually, this is something completely different. I already know about those titles. Click the reddit link.
Here were the pictures posted by u/brody31

http://imgur.com/a/ttVue

http://imgur.com/a/TqJVg

Whoops, that makes more sense. I was wondering how you hadn't stumbled upon the other two games already, hehe. Good thing I didn't make a snarky comment to try and embarrass you, eh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Kainu
United States
Berkley
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
So yeah, if any of the words from the back of the box had popped up in a regular game, I wouldn't have realized they were "adult" words. I mean, I get what they're going for, but all those words have standard meanings that aren't necessarily adult as well.

Right on, the words on the back cover only look like double entendres rather than completely naughty words like **** and ****.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt there will be another Machi Koro, I remember reading that millionares row would be the last installment. As well as it is deeply discounted on every website so I doubt they would put out another expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Marton
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nathairday wrote:
I doubt there will be another Machi Koro, I remember reading that millionares row would be the last installment. As well as it is deeply discounted on every website so I doubt they would put out another expansion.

Apparently this new version, from what I gather, takes the base game and some of the best cards from the expansions, adds some dice, and changes the artwork on a handful of the cards to represent nightlife and is a Target exclusive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas D
United States
Kennebunk
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oaklandsberg wrote:
The Codenames puzzles me more. I think that says "Adults Only" on the box, as if they are trying to create a dirtier version of the games (like Telestrations did with After Dark). Seems an odd thing to do with a game that won family game of the year.

My initial thought was it was to head off the inevitable CAH+Codenames knockoffs on Kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aquafan wrote:
nathairday wrote:

Apparently this new version, from what I gather, takes the base game and some of the best cards from the expansions, adds some dice, and changes the artwork on a handful of the cards to represent nightlife and is a Target exclusive.

Is it a new base game? So not an expansion? Like sorry were starting from scratch?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Marton
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nathairday wrote:
Aquafan wrote:
nathairday wrote:

Is it a new base game? So not an expansion? Like sorry were starting from scratch?

I THINK so but I could be wrong. people have had different stories but what I put above is in most. I'd not say they are starting over but more of Target buying reskins or games with exclusive components from manufacturers to get us in their toy aisles. IE I don't think this game will be available anywhere else

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Newhausen
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thomas d wrote:
oaklandsberg wrote:

My initial thought was it was to head off the inevitable CAH+Codenames knockoffs on Kickstarter.

The original Codenames has sold 400,000 copies, so they're hoping they can sell 400,000 copies of this. Simple as that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.