Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Lakes, rivers, and the automa...and a few other small things rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Gedeon
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game against the automa today, and throughly enjoyed it, and of course just got crushed at the end. I played Crimea at the bottom of the board, and the automa was Nordic at the top. Near the beginning the player is landlocked in the first three spaces, until I can get out my first mech to unlock crossing the rivers. Same for the automa, till it unlocks the rivers from the star card. Am I correct in thinking that even though the automa will teleport all over the board next to one of their units they have to wait until the star card marker moves past the river to cross water?

Not sure if this next part is a question, or just an observation, but here it goes....The biggest downfall I had at the end was the amount of coins the automa received for how many territories it had. It was just a never ending expanding blob of workers, and mechs that were being drawn from the cards moving closer,and closer past the middle of the board. It also didn't help that it seemed like all four mechs of the automa's were on the board before I even got my second one out. I guess I was focusing too much on getting recourses, while with the draw of a card, mechs and workers of the automa were rampaging over the board...

Also, when the Automa Gets Stuff with the character/mech symbol it states if the automa's character is on the faction mat it would deploy to its base, if not deploy a mech....when would its character ever be on the faction mat since it starts the game on the board already....I played it that every time this came up, the automa got a new mech.

Love the game, and the system btw....can't wait to get in another game already!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoggle wrote:
Am I correct in thinking that even though the automa will teleport all over the board next to one of their units they have to wait until the star card marker moves past the river to cross water?


That is correct.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you defeat the Automa's character in battle, it goes back to its faction mat (same for the mechs).

Also, yes, the Automa spreads like an unrepentant horde across the map. It's unlikely you'll win the territory war, but you have the advantage of counting resources and structure bonuses at the end of the game, so make them count.

Lastly, yes, the Automa is landlocked (even if it's Nordic) until their star meter moves past the water marks on the tracker. If you're efficient, you can get a mech out in the first 3 or 4 turns and win the race to the factory. I like to camp on it and bolster a couple times, readying for the coming war...
6 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoggle wrote:
Also, when the Automa Gets Stuff with the character/mech symbol it states if the automa's character is on the faction mat it would deploy to its base, if not deploy a mech....when would its character ever be on the faction mat since it starts the game on the board already....I played it that every time this came up, the automa got a new mech.

Love the game, and the system btw....can't wait to get in another game already!


Glad to hear you are enjoying! Unlike in the multiplayer game, when an Automa combat unit retreats, it returns to the player mat, not its base.

ninja by the Major. Ty!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gedeon
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick responses....that's what I was missing then. I was still thinking that the automa's character or mech still retreated back to its home space. Thanks again!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoggle wrote:
Thanks for the quick responses....that's what I was missing then. I was still thinking that the automa's character or mech still retreated back to its home space. Thanks again!


So keep in mind, if the automa gets a move mech action, it will only move mechs already on the board or home base. If all of the mechs are on the faction mat, a move mech action will do nothing.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wieman
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoggle wrote:
Near the beginning the player is landlocked in the first three spaces, until I can get out my first mech to unlock crossing the rivers.


Just a side observation: another way to get off the first three spaces is to build a Mine.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One small tip/exploit about holding the factory:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I had one game where Autometta never reached the Factory. I think this was because my character was the nearest "weak" combat square, and I kept roaming around the outside of the map with it. I might have had 2 mechs on the Factory.

If I played correctly, this would mean workers didn't move adjacent to the Factory because they would be adjacent to my combat units. AND, any attempted combat action could not reach the Factory because the workers would not spread to it and my character would get chased as a decoy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scholeologist wrote:
Hoggle wrote:
Near the beginning the player is landlocked in the first three spaces, until I can get out my first mech to unlock crossing the rivers.


Just a side observation: another way to get off the first three spaces is to build a Mine.


I used this to great effect in my last solo game as Polania. Combined with the Submerged ability to move onto lakes, and from lake to lake, I was sucking up encounters like nobodies business!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
One small tip/exploit about holding the factory:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I had one game where Autometta never reached the Factory. I think this was because my character was the nearest "weak" combat square, and I kept roaming around the outside of the map with it. I might have had 2 mechs on the Factory.

If I played correctly, this would mean workers didn't move adjacent to the Factory because they would be adjacent to my combat units. AND, any attempted combat action could not reach the Factory because the workers would not spread to it and my character would get chased as a decoy.


This is flawed. The priority for non-combat moves is not the nearest "weak" combat square, it is the nearest combat square. The "fewest combat units" is just a tie breaker way to choose between valid hexes during combat moves (not non-combat moves), so mechs will still usually move towards the factory even if you have a few mechs planted there.


Cheers!
The Rev

Edit: Added "for non-combat moves" and "way to choose between valid hexes" for clarity
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
This is flawed. The priority is not the nearest "weak" combat square, it is the nearest combat square. The "fewest combat units" is just a tie breaker during combat moves (not non-combat moves), so mechs will still usually move towards the factory even if you have a few mechs planted there.


Cheers!
The Rev

Are you certain about "fewest combat units" is just a tie breaker during combat moves? The rules state (page 8) "Choose Destination Territory: The valid territory with the fewest enemy combat units." There are then two tiebreakers.

To me, that says you first pick the territory with the fewest combat units, and THEN you apply tiebreakers. Otherwise wouldn't number of combat units be listed as a tiebreaker?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
reverendunclebastard wrote:
This is flawed. The priority is not the nearest "weak" combat square, it is the nearest combat square. The "fewest combat units" is just a tie breaker during combat moves (not non-combat moves), so mechs will still usually move towards the factory even if you have a few mechs planted there.


Cheers!
The Rev

Are you certain about "fewest combat units" is just a tie breaker during combat moves? The rules state (page 8) "Choose Destination Territory: The valid territory with the fewest enemy combat units." There are then two tiebreakers.

To me, that says you first pick the territory with the fewest combat units, and THEN you apply tiebreakers. Otherwise wouldn't number of combat units be listed as a tiebreaker?


Perhaps it is more easily described as: during a combat move "fewest combat units" is a way to choose between valid hexes, but the hexes you are choosing from must still be valid hexes, i.e. they must be in the neighbourhood of an automa unit and contain an enemy combat unit and therefore must result in a combat because of the combat move in order to be valid.

If the automa cannot reach the hex with the fewest units, that hex is by definition not a valid hex for a combat move, so it will not be part of the selection process. This means the automa will not "chase" your character unless it can attack it with that combat move. Combat moves must result in combat or you skip to the next movement action on the card.

For a non-combat move however, "fewest combat units" is not a requirement at all, just closest. When you have combat units in the factory the automa, when conducting non-combat moves, will still move its mechs/character towards the factory, if that is your closest combat unit. And it is only workers who will not enter the space next to a combat unit, so the mechs will come right next to you when you are planted in the factory.

I guess I am not understanding how your strategy works, unless you are letting your character be constantly attacked the automa will not be drawn towards it, since non-combat moves don't prioritize "fewest combat units" just closest, with proximity to factory being its first tie-breaker.

Hope I am being clear, it is late and I should be sleeping
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
Perhaps it is more easily described as: during a combat move "fewest combat units" is a way to choose between valid hexes, but the hexes you are choosing from must still be valid hexes, i.e. they must be in the neighbourhood of an automa unit and contain an enemy combat unit and therefore must result in a combat because of the combat move in order to be valid.

If the automa cannot reach the hex with the fewest units, that hex is by definition not a valid hex for a combat move, so it will not be part of the selection process. This means the automa will not "chase" your character unless it can attack it with that combat move. Combat moves must result in combat or you skip to the next movement action on the card.

For a non-combat move however, "fewest combat units" is not a requirement at all, just closest. When you have combat units in the factory the automa, when conducting non-combat moves, will still move its mechs/character towards the factory, if that is your closest combat unit. And it is only workers who will not enter the space next to a combat unit, so the mechs will come right next to you when you are planted in the factory.

I guess I am not understanding how your strategy works, unless you are letting your character be constantly attacked the automa will not be drawn towards it, since non-combat moves don't prioritize "fewest combat units" just closest, with proximity to factory being its first tie-breaker.

Hope I am being clear, it is late and I should be sleeping

I was just afraid I was playing incorrectly. It sounds like you agree about combat territory selection being a requirement for combat moves.

However, I was playing on Autometta so it is quite possible I got lucky about which turns were skipped. I do feel having a combat unit on the factory helps slow the worker growth slightly, because a move character/mech action has to happen first, followed by a successful attack action where the Factory has the fewest combat units.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
reverendunclebastard wrote:
Perhaps it is more easily described as: during a combat move "fewest combat units" is a way to choose between valid hexes, but the hexes you are choosing from must still be valid hexes, i.e. they must be in the neighbourhood of an automa unit and contain an enemy combat unit and therefore must result in a combat because of the combat move in order to be valid.

If the automa cannot reach the hex with the fewest units, that hex is by definition not a valid hex for a combat move, so it will not be part of the selection process. This means the automa will not "chase" your character unless it can attack it with that combat move. Combat moves must result in combat or you skip to the next movement action on the card.

For a non-combat move however, "fewest combat units" is not a requirement at all, just closest. When you have combat units in the factory the automa, when conducting non-combat moves, will still move its mechs/character towards the factory, if that is your closest combat unit. And it is only workers who will not enter the space next to a combat unit, so the mechs will come right next to you when you are planted in the factory.

I guess I am not understanding how your strategy works, unless you are letting your character be constantly attacked the automa will not be drawn towards it, since non-combat moves don't prioritize "fewest combat units" just closest, with proximity to factory being its first tie-breaker.

Hope I am being clear, it is late and I should be sleeping

I was just afraid I was playing incorrectly. It sounds like you agree about combat territory selection being a requirement for combat moves.

However, I was playing on Autometta so it is quite possible I got lucky about which turns were skipped. I do feel having a combat unit on the factory helps slow the worker growth slightly, because a move character/mech action has to happen first, followed by a successful attack action where the Factory has the fewest combat units.


Sounds like you are doing everything right! Having a combat unit on the factory definitely helps stop workers from spreading in that direction, I have just found that it draws combat workers instead devil
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.