Mike Magnuson
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer

Hello,

Let me introduce myself first off. My name is Mike Magnuson, and together with my wife Amanda, we've been designing Mythic Heroes on and off for a number of years. This originally started as a Christmas gift back in 2012 and we've been refining and streamlining it ever since. We are hoping to be able launch on Kickstarter by early next year, and to that end we recently went to our first board game convention(!) and took our prototype to get feedback and start spreading the word. It went well and gave us the confidence to move forward and actually try and get our game produced.

With that background out of the way, let's get to the game. Mythic Heroes is a light strategy game for 3-6 players, set in ancient Greece where each player controls a different famed hero from Greek mythology (i.e. Heracles, Achilles, etc). You travel around the board seeking to gain the most glory by defeating monsters (i.e. Hydra, Talos, etc.) and your fellow heroes. Meanwhile the gods of Mount Olympus will appear at random to interfere with your best laid plans.

On your turn, you may move up to 3 spaces, play as many cards as you wish and perform a single attack. There is a large variety of cards and ways to help yourself or hurt your opponents. The strategy lays in choosing when to play each card and when to hoard them; choosing to press an attack against a monster or deciding to turn against another weakened hero.

Features:
- Greek Mythology!
- Fun for both new and experienced gamers
- Chances for cooperation and competition
- Fast play time even with 5-6 players, with games generally finishing in an hour.
- Very replayable

Here are a few shots of our prototype and a number of representative cards.

What's next?
Gameplay and design are 95% finished, and the graphic design is mostly done as well. We've been working with a great artist named Jason Hall and our art is about 50% done, with the remaining amount to be finished post-funding. At this point we are tinkering around the edges and smoothing out rules rather than looking at any radical changes. We've come a long way since that very first version and are excited to make this project a reality.

We have just setup a Facebook page, where we'll be posting updates in the coming weeks/months: https://www.facebook.com/mythicheroesboardgame.

I'm happy to go into more detail on any aspect of the game or design process if people want to know more. I could go on and on here but I'm trying to keep this first post a short one

We are working to make the game the best it can be before launching, so we'd love feedback on any and all of the above!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.