Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Bear Valley» Forums » Rules

Subject: One last question...how exactly does the canoe work (and did I do this right)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
In a 3-player game, I was playing third, and on my first turn, I encountered a tile with 3 exits at 3:00 and returned to base camp (alone).

1. Since I ended my turn, alone on base camp, I assumed I got to choose a piece of equipment to place there. I chose a canoe. Is this how the rule about base camp is supposed to work?

On my next turn, I picked up the canoe since it was the start of my turn. I immediately decided to drop it and use it.

2. So how far exactly can I traverse over the river? To the next adjacent river card? That seems right because if I was allowed to traverse as far as I wanted, I'd win on the second turn of the game!

3. So we as a group decided I could traverse only to the next river card, adjacent to base camp, which was a straight river card. Do I then get to disembark on either section of the card, my choice? That would seem right as well.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
Somerset
NJ
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Answers...

1. YES.
And yes to using it on your next turn.

2. Yes, you can move DOWN RIVER one card to the next River card from the base camp. THEN, on that same turn you can traverse or explore on paths where there is water and ignore stopping on any water card.

3. Yes, exactly, and then keep moving on path (traverse or explore), ignoring any water you encounter.

Canoes are better late in the game, when there are a lot of cards out. You then use the canoe to go down a river, passed various water hazards, and potentially... for the win!

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
evilone wrote:

Answers...

1. YES.
And yes to using it on your next turn.

2. Yes, you can move DOWN RIVER one card to the next River card from the base camp. THEN, on that same turn you can traverse or explore on paths where there is water and ignore stopping on any water card.

3. Yes, exactly, and then keep moving on path (traverse or explore), ignoring any water you encounter.

Canoes are better late in the game, when there are a lot of cards out. You then use the canoe to go down a river, passed various water hazards, and potentially... for the win! :)

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games

Just so I'm clear, Stephen, even though I left the canoe on the river card I started from, I can ignore ALL water cards during my turn, even lake cards and other river cards I might pass through over the course of that turn? Does that mean I can also traverse across a lake or explore across a lake during that turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the canoe benefits are that (1) you may traverse down the river or move (explore or traverse) across a lake once; and (2) you may ignore the "must stop on water" rule as many times as you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.