Subject: GMT: Solitaire suitability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: solitaire [+] gmt [+] [View All]
Jonas Jacobsson
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many (or all) games from GMT have a solitaire suitability index specified, but none of my games have any solitaire rules included. Where am I supposed to find it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cholewa

Illinois
msg tools
No GMT games I've played(not many) have solitaire rules. This rating is based on how it plays when one player plays both sides. Open information is usually what determines this. Another factor is how much opportunity another player has to interrupt the other during their turn. Its... hard to play against yourself that way.

If you're looking for a good solitaire GMT game, I recommend Great Battles of Alexander. Not too difficult, but there's a lot of room to explore the tactical options in the scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Stever
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand why you'd play solo when you can go to http://www.patmedia.net/bmh1980/index.html and play against another human being via the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Mix
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think you're simply meant to play both sides, being as fair to each side as possible and playing them to the best of your abilities. The suitability then refers to how much information is hidden, and how open a player's strategy can be while still allowing the game to work.

So, for example, card driven wargames have low suitability, while board only games without fog of war and with open objectives work the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Jake is right. There are also many ways to play online, both realtime and play by email. Look up VASSAL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Weitz
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
No one in Iowa City plays wargames?
badge
Yes, I like helmets...
mbmbmbmbmb
I also recommend Great Battles of Alexander for its solitaire suitability. As another poster mentioned, the idea is to just play as both sides. A certain detached impartiality is nice, but not essential. It particularly helps when you are "testing" a simulation versed on some historical question or "what if."

Good Gaming! Mick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Downtown has Solitaire rules available on www.airbattle.co.uk

These allow play from the US side with an AI enemy.

T-Mo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MartinStever wrote:
I don't understand why you'd play solo when you can go to http://www.patmedia.net/bmh1980/index.html and play against another human being via the internet.

I play boardgames for a variety of reasons... The game itself is certainly a major one, but after that, there are the wonderful components, the spectacle of seeing everything spread out on a table in front of me, enjoying the company of a friend or friends, eating, drinking, etc. Playing games to me qualifies as a sort of "event" (especially since I don't get too many opportunities to play them).

I've tried BSW, Vassal and some others, but I just find myself bored to tears sitting alone and staring at a monitor while someone out there plays virtual cards to move virtual pieces on a virtual board.

More power to those of you who enjoy this type of thing, but it does absolutely nothing for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT has published 2 of the greatest Solitaire-games EVER!!! Hornet Leader and Thunderbolt Apache Leader.
In T A L terrain tiles are placed at random and on these tiles everything can pop up from infantry to Anti-Aircraft Missiles. In the meantime some or a lot of enemy aircraft attack you as well. You try to survive this hell with a self-built team of AH64-Apaches and A10-Thunderbolts. You can even choose which pilots will fly the mission and wich ammo they will carry. In the meantime (on another "ground"-level) your groundtroops have to fight the enemy as well.
P U R E A D R E N A L I N ! ! !
H L is more or less the naval variant.

Most of the other GMT-games (especially GBOH-games) can be played solitaire by playing both sides in a kind of "objective" way (this means especially having your dice make decisions at random).
In fact most boardgames can be played in this way : I bought recently World Of Warcraft and I played it myself. Had a lot of fun!!!

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McCarthy
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the re-print of Samurai from them a few months ago. So far I have only played it solitare. Most of the battles aren't very balanced (but when were they in history?) so it makes for fun solitare play. The only problem I have found in this game and the whole Great Battles of History series is that it is rather difficult to use the Trump rules by yourself. I have found that "Ran" tends to be better for two players but is still fun solitare .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.