United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Upon first playing I, Spy one notices legendary femme fatale Mata Hari as one of the contacts on the game board, and those with some knowledge of World War I-era espionage will recognize Sidney Reilly, the so-called "Ace of Spies", among the contacts as well. Then when you start revealing politicians you'll turn up more names you recognize, like Winston Churchill, Franz Ferdinand (the Archduke, not the band), etc. It turns out that all 6 contacts and 39 politicians available in the game represent actual historical individuals - statesmen, spies, generals, monarchs, agitators, scientists and other influential folks from the period.

So I put together a Who's Who with capsule biographies of all the personalities featured in the game - it's available in the Files section here. Keep it at the game table to add flavor and depth when you're revealing those politicians.

It turns out that a number of the politicians' in-game effects are based on the actual roles they played in early 20th-century history. I've tried to highlight those parallels between the game and history in the Who's Who listings. Hope you enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lost Boys Productions
msg tools
publisher
mb
Woot! Thanks so much for this fine bit of work!
We did put a mite of work into trying to make the person fit the mechanical effect (or vice-versa), so we're glad to see someone noticed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koff
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LostBoysGames wrote:
Woot! Thanks so much for this fine bit of work!
We did put a mite of work into trying to make the person fit the mechanical effect (or vice-versa), so we're glad to see someone noticed!

Thanks guys! I like the clandestine way you managed to sneak so much history into the game - it fits with the theme . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grendel's Mother
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just want to say I absolutely adore these accessible factoids.

One of my favorite parts of I, Spy now is waiting until the Scoring Phase ends, so I can read aloud the background of each Politician we just encountered. The predictable groans from the rest of the group, since I alone decided this is a mandatory part of our games, is all the incentive I need to continue demoralizing my opponents in the name of history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.