8 Posts

Star Trek: Frontiers» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Perspectives from a Solo/Coop Casual Gamer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon G
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have been using this website to learn about and check out some of the highest rated cooperative/semi-coop board games for my wife and I and sometimes other friends/family to join in on. We had just finished Pandemic Legacy and I noticed a game called Mage Knight highly rated and after checking it out it sounded like mechanically exactly the kind of thing we wanted. Coop/solo with the option for some Trechery, and not to mention the sheer number of options and features in Mage Knight for scenerios and things to do in a turn really interested us. But the theme immediately lost the game for us. Neither one of us care for fantasy games even on the best of days. So it went to where we were deciding between Robinson Crusoe or one of the Legendary Deck-builders when we discovered this game.

Everything that sounded awesome about Mage Knight, but now with 100% more sci-fi and Star Trek! we immediately snatched this up and set up for our first game. Definitely a steep learning curve coming from Pandemic (but thankfully we had a good many Battlestar Galactica games under our belt) but after a few turns we began to get the hang of it and then we're both simultaneously overwhelmed and overjoyed at the amount of things to do and variety this game offers.

New board every time, new crew/skill combinations, and the possibilities for your deck are near endless. Dozens of different enemies, planets to deal with and Cube variations that tons of different unique situations develop and none of our games have felt even remotely the same. We have already played through 5 games since getting it earlier this week and highly recommend it to any causal gamers looking for a great cooperative game to play win your spouse, family or friends (maybe just one or two though. Four players is too much haha)

So if you want the new greatest game of 2016 in our opinion, pick this up! It will not disappoint!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Christian_Medic wrote:
We have already played through 5 games since getting it earlier this week and highly recommend it to any causal gamers looking for a great cooperative game to play win your spouse, family or friends.

Is Frontiers a drastically simplified version of Mage Knight, which is why you're recommending it for casual gamers and their families? (and non-gaming friends??) The original Mage Knight was quite long and complicated - to the point where it intimidated many of the hardcore gamers that I know.

It's great that you love the game and have figured it out, but perhaps you're the casual gamer that's the exception rather than the rule? Or is Frontiers really that much easier to play and learn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah Casual gamers, families and spouses? Mage Knight was one of the heavier games I've played, especially co-op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Baccus

Tennessee
msg tools
I never played Mage Knight, but I, like OP, was much more attracted to the Star Trek theme.

I think the majority of the complexity of Mage Knight is there. I wouldn't say this game is all that much easier to learn. I know from reading other threads that there are some rule changes and tweaks like the removal of the day/night phases that do simplify things somewhat, but based on what I have read, it's probably 5% simpler to learn.

I played my 2nd solo game last night and I still had to stop and re-read the manual. Took mr 4 hours. I really enjoyed the 4 hours, and I still messed up some of the rules as I discovered later.

This is by far the most complicated game I own. It's not for everyone, but if you watch some of the walkthru videos, you can get a sense of whether or not you think you would enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Marentette
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek: Frontiers is slightly less complex than Mage Knight which is a complex and time-consuming game. I would not recommend ST:F at all for casual gamers as it would be misleading and might kill their interest in gaming. There are plenty of other Star Trek games around for casual gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
msg tools
mbmbmb
It is also easily are most complicated game my wife plays but she is the definition of causal gamer and prefers apples to apples and Catan or at most Battlestar Galactica (but took her a good half dozen games to figure that one out). But after figuring out how to play it she is having a ton of fun with this one. What I'm saying is that people like us looking for a deep cooperative game but didn't much care for Mage Knight's theme shouldn't be frightened off trying to learn this. It's definitely worth it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Barry

California
msg tools
It is essentially the same game and rules with a few tweaks; if you found Mage Knight too complex this will be as well.

But I share OP's sentiment completely. I was lukewarm on MK despite wanting to love it, but Frontiers won me over immediately. It's a lesson in how amazing a difference the theme can make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On that note, a casual gamer can very quickly become not-so-casual when encountering a game with a theme they find really exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.