Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have set up a set to try the print and play of Tekton vs Cherry Bomb. I am playing from the draft pre-KS rules that were posted on BGG 2 weeks ago. I ran into a few situations that I was not sure how to handle.

1. When using Tekton's lava blast ability what order do you put the cards into the waste? Can you start with the lowest and go up to highest so that when you draw them you will be able to play them sequentially again from your hand? Or do you have to just collapse the stack in the order they are in so that the lowest card will be on top of the waste pile?

2. Also with lava blast, can you remove just some cards or do you have to remove all from a column? The power says "choose a column and place any cards from it into the waste". If you can pick and choose which to put into the waste could you leave the column with a broken sequential order? I suspect the effect is meant to remove ALL cards from the chosen column; I think the 'any' makes it a little unclear. You might also want to explicitly say (but not the reserve pile) just so people don't think they can add the reserve pile to the blast.

3. There cannot be two timers on the same card and it says that when that occurs you resolve an explosion. But the definition of explosions on the other side doesn't actually tell you what to do when an explosion happens. It tells you what to do when a timer is set on a card not in play and what to do if there are no villain tokens to reveal. I played assuming that when an explosion happens you turn over the bomb token and the villain gains that much power. But what happens if there are still two or more tokens on a card and another timer is applied triggering an explosion? Do you reveal both tokens that are still there and the villain gains that much power? Or do you reveal both plus another token for the new timer? Or do you reveal just the bottom token in the stack?

4. What is the timing of removing timer counters from cards? The main question I guess is whether I can draw first before deciding which timer counters to remove. If I draw first I might be able to know I can play to a base and defeat one of the timers, so in that case I would choose to count down the timer from the one I could not remove.

Some other rules observations:

It took me awhile to catch on that the fully visible face-up card in your hand after you Draw is considered active and thus can trigger card-flip and reveal effects.

Also, it is mentioned briefly but it seems like an important point -- according to the rules you cannot play the top card of the waste pile unless your hand is empty. I had initially been playing that you can play that at any time but I guess I had it wrong. I don't remember 'standard' solitaire having that rule but I could be mixed up about that. In any case, it seems like an important point that should be more emphasized.

Some card text errors:
Cherry Bomb 'Mad Bomber' card refers to the villain as Cheri Bomb.
The Cherry Bomb description/flavor text card discusses being a bomb disposal expert, but disposal is spelled 'disposl'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Kouba
United States
Franklin
OH
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings John,

Up late writing this so hopefully my memory holds. Please let me know if my answers address what you needed to know.

1. So the guiding rule, and it may not be in there lol, is anytime an effect puts cards in the waste, they go faceup in an order of your choosing. When discarding your hand in a Draw Phase however, you may not reorder. Keep in mind also you cannot play from the waste until you empty your hand and there is no Move Phase between discarding and drawing up in the Draw Phase.

2. You can take any cards in the column. This includes reserve cards and any faceup. Say I have a 13-12-11 faceup with two reserve cards. I could take a reserve card and the 12 and put them in the waste.

3. So this is one that I will reword as necessary. Basically if there is a need for a second timer on a card, reveal a bomb from her supply as the explosion. The first timer is left intact.

4. The discard timing was waffling for a bit there so it was a little vague. It is immediately before Drawing. So discard hand, remove timer token (resolve explosion if necessary), then draw.

Agreed on the active card comment. A rules diagram will clarify though. It is always good to have people learn from a basic rules document since I obviously remind them of the ins and outs when I demo face to face.

I will add your other feedback to our notes! Thanks.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Kouba
United States
Franklin
OH
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh. I would love to see an image in the gallery of your PNP set up! I know it will also help the Kickstarter unlock a stretch goal.

If you think you would like to print a second deck, I can give you the heads up rules at the moment, rough as they are.

Any session reports would be welcome too.

Hopefully you are enjoying.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd Kochinka
United States
minneola
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I demoed the game at Dice Tower and the mention of not being able to play from the waste until your hand is empty was actually not brought up. The guy running the demo actively had me play area from the waste right after tektons ability to put an entire column into the waste. That made the effect of the card very powerful. Playing the game he way the rules state, makes it nearly impossible to pull off that power anymore. It actually makes tektons powers a liability. If you trigger any of his powers from your hand it's completely useless unless you can play every card from your hand.

I honestly think that's a pretty terrible rule. It guarantees cards getting buried again and again. Not sure how any of the other characters work but just based on tekton, I think it would have been better to balance his power rather than impose such a harsh restriction on the ability to play cards. Especially since standard solitaire has no such restrictions on card play.

Also, you might want to train your people doing demos on the very specific and unintuitive rules you have in place. I honestly didn't even bother to read the rules on gameplay since I understand how solitaire works and the demo game I played at dice tower had no such restrictions on gameplay. The game had a low win rate without that rule, and now it's almost impossible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.