Brass Empire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solo variant (and other) questions... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed P

Ohio
msg tools
mbmb
Just got the game on Friday and I'm really enjoying the solo version. 2-1 so far.

Couple questions:

1) How do you use the boss card?
2) If you dismiss a card - do you get the brass value for it at the end of the game?
3) Little confused on the dismiss/discard/destroy action and what's the difference between each? I understand discard - you put it in the discard pile and you redraw from that pile. So cards say to dismiss a card to do another action. Are those dismissed cards gone and won't be used rest of the game? Same with buildings. I think the rules say a destroyed building goes into the discard pile - is that correct?
4) How do you use the extra cards that came with the Kickstarter shipment?

I'll think of more as I play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gnade
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Which Boss card? I assume Pirates of the People... The Pirates of the People win after 18 rounds (6 colors x 3 of each) since they convert the people against you. Their goal is to get 3 cards of every color. They acquire/convert the rightmost card in the labor market row but skip any color sets they have. When they complete a set, the action on the front of the card triggers (and they'll skip that color when acquiring in the future). You need to acquire the specified brass before the end of those 18 rounds. Obviously the higher you make the brass total, the harder they are.

2. Absolutely not - you only get the brass value of cards still in your deck i.e. that are part of your company.

3. Dismiss - is removed from the game permanently (Trash/Void/Banish) and is no longer part of your deck/company. Discard means put in your discard pile. Demolish means voluntarily put the card in your discard pile to trigger the cards ability. This only corresponds to the cheap/weak buildings that we suggest you put in your reserve deck. Everything that is demolished or destroyed in combat goes back in your discard pile. Dismiss is the operative term and only way to remove a card from a deck or the game.

4. Some are easier to use than others so I will break down my suggested methods of using them:

- First game: For your first game, I would use the 5 additional Reserve Deck cards (place them in the corp starting decks so they have 6 cards instead of 5) and the unique art mining platforms (they have no effect on gameplay but give your faction a little more personality).

- Future game:
The corp id cards can be flipped once per game to activate their super ability. Each corporation's ability has positives and negatives when activated but you have to do everything on the card.

The Gadget Cards are also used once per game to do their effect. Once played, activate their effect and then remove them from the game.

You get both of these cards when you pick your starting faction, so you can use them at any time and they don't cycle through your deck.

More gadgets will be in the next expansion so I will have more rules and info on them as we get to that... check out our blog and subscribe to our mailing list to keep up on that stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed P

Ohio
msg tools
mbmb
Sweet - thanks for the reply Mike.

I lost the boss card you gave me at Origins, will you be making more bosses to battle?

Just tried a couple boss battles - very cool idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Smith
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this response. I was wondering about the Pirates usage as well. And I put the Gadget cards in the deck, so they got played over and over.

I subscribed to the mailing list - more gadgets sounds like fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Davis
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
In line with the thread title "Solo Variant," here's something I've been doing. I found the Pirate to be very easy when ending at 30 Brass. (Unless I'm doing something wrong, given that units mine for their attack value instead of attacking anything.)

I've gone with playing the scheme out to the full 18 turns, then seeing how much Brass I mined. It makes for a simpler comparison and could be used for competitive solo play. I typically get 50+ Brass by the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.