$30.00
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
So, we finished our Normal Kindred Fire campaign tonight, 4 hero game: Champion, Shadow Walker, Apothecary, Hexer. We never lost a quest, only even got semi-close to losing ONE story quest, everything else was a complete steam-roll, and morale was only ever below 3 one time (that semi-close quest). And this included the bugged "oops you don't get the extra gold you're supposed to get on Normal" issue due to when we began the campaign.

Overall, it was a blast, and this app is fantastic. A few things I'd like to see improved in the future, and/or that I found disappointing (spoilering):

Spoiler (click to reveal)

1) The structure is frustrating. 4 Act I story quests, then 2 Act II story quests, and the time-table doesn't allow for a slew of Act II side quests to make up for this, it's still 3 weeks every cycle. I'd like to see a more balanced (and quite possibly longer, now that they have recyclable side-quests) campaign in the future, along the lines of normal structure of Intro, 3 A1, Interlude, 3 A2, Finale.

2) We really had very few items. I think the lack of treasure chest availability really hinders item acquisition. I'd like to see it re-worked around leaving the treasure chest in the search deck. This can easily be established by having a button somewhere on the screen that is "you got a chest yes/no?" You click it if you did, and the app finds an item for you to draw from the deck, based on what you own, obviously, the same way as the shopping works.

3) Speaking of shopping, the strange random/lop-sided Act II shopping is weird. I realize fame comes into play here, but we had insane fame, and yet sometimes we'd see an Act II shop with 3 act II items, and 3 Act I items. I think I'd also like to see more than 1 trinket slot, perhaps based on how much product you own. With 100% product owned, the decks are large enough that a 7th shop slot wouldn't be out of the question, I don't think.

4) XP seems way, way too easy to get with the training city action. This was probably our primary source of steam-roll power. After the intro, we went to town and promptly spent our 200gp on training everyone 1 XP, so going into our first side-quest we had 2 XP worth of skills all around. That was absurdly overpowered, even with starting equipment.

5) I'd like to see more lieutenants/agents used. Again, 100% collection, I'd have expected to encounter the lieutenants in the expansion side-quests, but neither the Trollfens, Manor of Ravens, nor Mists of Bilehall side-quest had Lieutenant encounters. Seems like you only get to see your cool lieu/agents if you suck and start hitting Major Perils. Bleh.

Again, overall it was fantastic and we're very much looking forward to how this app fleshes out. Apparently the reception has been fantastic (and rightfully so), and has spurred much sales of product, so I'm sure they're already working on another campaign or two, if not improvements to the overall engine/app structure itself.

We're probably going to mess around on our second campaign. As we were packing up, we spit-balled a silly group of 4 healers on Hard difficulty. Honestly it will probably be just as easy, given how powerhouse some of the healers can be if they're built correctly. Apothecary shines especially well here. That class is ABSURD.

MOAR PLEASE. SOON. FFG PLS OGM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Your primary source of steam-roll power was that you were playing on Normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Your primary source of steam-roll power was that you were playing on Normal.

We shall see. I'm not convinced a few minor perils will make a big difference. We very, very rarely saw perils at all on Normal, so if they're slightly accelerated, we might see 2-3 Minors before we close out a quest. Oh darn! Here's hoping I'm wrong, I guess.

IMO, the primary reason for the steam-roll power is the innate deficiency of an AI system in these tight board areas. Any large monster group was a joke, and any time the app decided to activate groups in the sub-optimal order tended to result in zero effect for that monster group, while we then smashed it before it got a second activation. We even made the monsters as "smart" as possible. One major problem with the large monsters is they can't, by RAW, queue up two engage/spot actions for double move points to get past a choke point.

In fact, re: perils, it even seemed like some quests were designed to severely delay perils and/or even ignore them, based on reinforcement rules and/or how the quest was structured. Again though, I guess we'll see in our Hard campaign. Looking forward to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanLuc wrote:
We're probably going to mess around on our second campaign. As we were packing up, we spit-balled a silly group of 4 healers on Hard difficulty. Honestly it will probably be just as easy, given how powerhouse some of the healers can be if they're built correctly. Apothecary shines especially well here. That class is ABSURD.

I'm currently running a 3 hero campaign on Hard mode with three Healers. Apothecary, Prophet, and Bard. Through 3 story quests and a few side quests they are unstoppable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.