Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just happened to bumble across this game on sale at a local establishment last week--and just today I see that its popped up on the Hotness?

Of course my first thought was "...did I do that?" Which sounds narcissistic, but really it comes from more of a generalized sense of paranoia!

So, anyone know what gives? Why is Colonial suddenly in the Hotness? Have a big batch of them been found at a warehouse and released for discount sale all at once (and now everyone's looking it up to see if it's a good deal or not)?

Just curious...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aradraug
Czech Republic
Novy Jicin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
`Cause people suddenly realized how great this game is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT Games are now, according to their latest update, selling this game. Or distributing it, or something like that. So I assume that has brought this game to a lot of peoples' attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a really good, fun game, especially at 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Wise Cracker
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it scale well? How about 2-player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:

Good question. I've never played with less than 4. Because so much of the fun and tension is created by competition for resources and the interaction of the actions that I would think 2 player would not be very fun. I think 4 is probably as low a player count as you want to go. I do know that 6 player is a cut throat riot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
GMT Games are now, according to their latest update, selling this game. Or distributing it, or something like that. So I assume that has brought this game to a lot of peoples' attention.

Hmm. Wonder if there are major production differences--I'd assume so. I also wonder if it's worth getting this versus the GMT edition...have to do some more research, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a little bit of irony in this game getting re-picked up, as it was the last release of CoffeeHaus games before they gave up on being a general publisher. I _think_ they reorganized and turned into Japanime Games and now focus mostly on bringing over Japanese games (and for a time Krosmaster, which was actually French but was stylized to look more anime-esque).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have first edition. A friend has second edition. Not much difference between the two production wise. A few rule tweaks but I think they were optional.

Regardless of the version it's a good game. I didn't read GMT's announcement that they are going to publish, only distribute. Probably distributing current 2nd edition.

No reason to delay acquiring in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
gohrns wrote:
I have first edition. A friend has second edition. Not much difference between the two production wise. A few rule tweaks but I think they were optional.

Regardless of the version it's a good game. I didn't read GMT's announcement that they are going to publish, only distribute. Probably distributing current 2nd edition.

No reason to delay acquiring in my opinion.

Yeah, GMT said they were selling the 2nd Edition one. Not republishing at this point. And I think it might be on sale as well through GMT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's good to see this fine game being mentioned again! I hope the GMT name can give it a new lease of life. The game is a blast with 5 or 6, and works well with 4 but needs some tightening, probably just raising the VP target, for 4 players. I wouldn't want to play it with less than 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Seghillian wrote:
It's good to see this fine game being mentioned again! I hope the GMT name can give it a new lease of life. The game is a blast with 5 or 6, and works well with 4 but needs some tightening, probably just raising the VP target, for 4 players. I wouldn't want to play it with less than 4.

+1

Very unique game. Love the way you plan out your turn with the cards and not knowing what other people are doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Wise Cracker
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gohrns wrote:
MrMzchf wrote:

Good question. I've never played with less than 4. Because so much of the fun and tension is created by competition for resources and the interaction of the actions that I would think 2 player would not be very fun. I think 4 is probably as low a player count as you want to go. I do know that 6 player is a cut throat riot.

Was afraid you'd say that. I own it but haven't cracked it yet. Would it allow one player to play 2 factions to tighten up resources or is it not structured that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would lose a lot of the tension and conflict still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Wise Cracker
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gohrns wrote:
I think it would lose a lot of the tension and conflict still.

OK. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, GMT now? I won't feel bad giving them my money now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2nd Edition of this game was given out at a local convention called ArctiCon on March 5th in Valparaiso, IN.

Normal entry was $15, but since I was demoing some games, it was only $5 for me. They had a table full of games people could choose from that were donated (new in shrink), and Colonial looked the best of the bunch, so myself and several others in my game group grabbed a copy.

I only got to play it once, with a full player count and it was fun. I'll have to try to get it back to the table again sometime, though with Scythe, Mare Nostrum, Dead of Winter: The Long Night and new games coming back with some buddies from GenCon, including Seafall, I don't see when I'll be able to squeeze this one in anytime soon.

We had a good time with the only one play, though I'm sure we only barely scratched the surface of what this game will offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.