$30.00
$20.00
$5.00
$15.00
Khong Minh
msg tools
Hi,

My friends and I were playing KOT and as we went down the wire, I found myself inside with the Wings card and I am right at 15 points. He's at 19 so I wanted to end the game. I have just enough to purchase the Jet Fighters card, (which +5 VP and Take 4 Damage) and 2 extra coins to use on the Wings. The only problem is my heart count is exactly 4. So I was wondering can I use the Wing card to negate the damage from the Jet Fighters card and win the game outright (since I do have the two coins necessary to negate damage). Would this also hold true for other self damage-for-points cards? Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This should work fine (provided you pay for the Wings first of course).

Wings says it prevents all damage to you for the turn.
It doesn't say anything about 'source' of damage, or 'only opponents turns'.
Just 'damage for the turn'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rivera
United States
Union City
California
flag msg tools
"Provided you pay for wings first, of course"

I believe that's incorrect. In another post Iello confirmed you can use it as a reaction to damage you are about to take.

I believe the correct play is: You may purchase the discard card. You earn the stars, Suffer the damage, pay 2 energy and negate that damage, and finally gain the victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sojasonk wrote:
"Provided you pay for wings first, of course"

I believe that's incorrect. In another post Iello confirmed you can use it as a reaction to damage you are about to take.

I believe the correct play is:...

Either version is a correct play. Wings applies to the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Brissaud
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you are purchasing Jet Fighter this turn and it doesn't work as purchasing card is the last thing you can do in your turn, AFTER you have resolved all dice and damages.

I was mistaken, please see Timothee correct answer below. I'm just the sales guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IelloGames wrote:
It sounds like you are purchasing Jet Fighter this turn and it doesn't work as purchasing card is the last thing you can do in your turn, AFTER you have resolved all dice and damages.

How does this NOT work?
Did something change with the 2nd edition printing?

Wings (1st edition) reads "Spend 2E to negate damage to you for a turn."
It can obviously be used in response to 'about to take damage', and it doesn't specific a specific 'type' of damage.

Situation:
I end my dice rolling/resolution with 15 VP, 4 Hearts, Wings in play, and plenty of Energy. It is now time to buy cards.
Jet Fighters is available.
Why can't you pay 2E to Wings, then buy Jet Fighters and not take damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Stephan got confused on what the OP's scenario is. There should be no issue with using Wings to negate the damage from Jet Fighters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothée Simonot
France
flag msg tools
publisher
I confirm that Wings prevent you from losing life and the source of the damages doesn't matter. The described situation works fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magicovore wrote:
I confirm that Wings prevent you from losing life and the source of the damages doesn't matter. The described situation works fine.

The current issue is that IELLO has replied saying that it doesn't work.
And until they reply with a confirmation or correction, the official answer is that it doesn't.... for some reason
EDIT: Everything is fine here. See below for details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
Media & Public Relations at IELLO France
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magicovore wrote:
Tim is our main project manager on KOT, so consider his word holy on the matter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattintheweb wrote:
Magicovore wrote:
Tim is our main project manager on KOT, so consider his word holy on the matter!
Works for me then. Isn't obvious from his post/info that he works there.

Stephan's post is still a bit nonsensical though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.