Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Black Bart
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Summer Olympics almost upon us, who wants to join for a Play-by-Forum of this fun dice game?

If you haven't participated in the past, you can look at previous PBF threads such as Decathlon V: Rogue Hurdler to see the format (based on the BGG forum dice rolling functionality). Let me know if you have any questions.

I'd like to kick off the competition on Monday August 1 (with a bit of luck the climax will be around the time of the event in Rio).

To participate please post below no later than Saturday July 30th.

If we get a big field (more than 5) I'll divide it into separate groups for smoother play.

Everyone is welcome, no need to qualify, no health concerns and no geographical exclusions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to compete!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred D.
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
Okay, I'm all pumped up, superfit with lungs of a horse. With Daley Thompson as my coach, what could go wrong? (-lots- whispers my alter ego)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I recommend we use erak's fix to the High Jump this time out?
Fixing the High Jump - Rewarding Risk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:

Fine for me, this is a good place to try it out as the results will be documented.

Maybe erak can do a practice High Jump here to demonstrate how his modified version works? This will also show off the BGG dice roller to folks who are not familiar with it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
Why did Dracula become a bank? To deal with suckers every day!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I already count 6 participants thumbsup, enough to split into 2 groups (games). More welcome ...

It's not the intention to compete with those not in your group (the group playing later would have an unfair advantage), but if there is sufficient interest we might organise a second round later to find the best of the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
urbanus wrote:
nycavri wrote:

Fine for me, this is a good place to try it out as the results will be documented.

Maybe erak can do a practice High Jump here to demonstrate how his modified version works? This will also show off the BGG dice roller to folks who are not familiar with it yet.

Certainly!

I'll skip 10 and move on to 12:

First attempt at 12 5d6 = (4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 3) = 13

Success!

Skipping 14 and 16 and moving on to 18:

18 attempt 1 5d6 = (6 + 1 + 6 + 1 + 5) = 19

Nailed it! Skipping 20 and moving on to 22:

22 attempt 1 5d6 = (1 + 4 + 1 + 3 + 5) = 14
22 attempt 2 5d6 = (6 + 5 + 4 + 3 + 4) = 22

Got it! Skipping 24 and going to 26.

26 attempt 1 5d6 = (2 + 4 + 4 + 6 + 2) = 18
26 attempt 2 5d6 = (5 + 6 + 1 + 2 + 3) = 17
26 attempt 3 5d6 = (1 + 3 + 6 + 3 + 6) = 19

Fail.

So my score is my highest successful jump (22) plus skip bonuses for 10, 14, 16, and 20 (1, 1, 1, and 3 respectively) for an event total of 28. Leave it to my example where I get my highest score ever for this event. I predict a 12 in the real thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 930107. erak
  • 5d6 =
  • (4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 3) =
  • First attempt at 12
  • Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:38 am
  • [+]
  • 930108. erak
  • 5d6 =
  • (6 + 1 + 6 + 1 + 5) =
  • 18 attempt 1
  • Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:39 am
  • [+]
  • 930109. erak
  • 5d6 =
  • (1 + 4 + 1 + 3 + 5) =
  • 22 attempt 1
  • Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:40 am
  • [+]
  • 930112. erak
  • 5d6 =
  • (6 + 5 + 4 + 3 + 4) =
  • 22 attempt 2
  • Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:42 am
  • [+]
  • 930115. erak
  • 5d6 =
  • (2 + 4 + 4 + 6 + 2) =
  • 26 attempt 1
  • Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:43 am
  • [+]
  • 930116. erak
  • 5d6 =
  • (5 + 6 + 1 + 2 + 3) =
  • 26 attempt 2
  • Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:43 am
  • [+]
  • 930117. erak
  • 5d6 =
  • (1 + 3 + 6 + 3 + 6) =
  • 26 attempt 3
  • Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:44 am
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be clear, in actual play each competitor would skip or take up to three attempts at each height before the whole field moves on to the next height.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak, so you scored 22+6 = 28. Assuming the same dice rolls and if you had jumped at heights 12-14-16-18-20 instead, you would have scored only 18+1 = 19 (I assume one more failed roll at the end).

Under the normal rules these two jump sequences would score 22 and 18 instead. You could say a lot of dice rolling (slow in PBF) for little effect as player scores will tend to be close together.

So your rules will indeed better reward risk. My only gripe is the thematic disconnect (you could score more despite clearing a lower height than an opponent).

I also analysed my proposal (for every 3 attempts made, deduct 1 from all future attempts) against these dice rolls and jump sequences. Scores were 18 vs 16 respectively. Nicely thematic but it gets hard to clear high heights and won't help in getting a larger spread of player scores (needed to make the event more interesting).

What do others think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred D.
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
As a scoring system, Erik's proposal is pretty sound. But I also dislike the thematic problem of higher jumps possibly scoring lower.

Perhaps the extra jumps made should count as negatives in case of ties? Perhaps counting as -0.1 per extra jump compared to the best of the tied (with the least total jumps)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
urbanus wrote:
What do others think?

I've played a lot of Decathlon, in person and by Forum, and I like Erik's High Jump "fix". The thematic disconnect does not bother me at all - the risk/reward is just another factor for the athlete to take into account when competing.

In game terms, it makes a slow and tedious event faster and more interesting, it is simple enough to score, and importantly it has been tested under tournament conditions and held up very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a Knizia game. Knizia is synonymous with thematic disconnect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
urbanus wrote:
erak, so you scored 22+6 = 28. Assuming the same dice rolls and if you had jumped at heights 12-14-16-18-20 instead, you would have scored only 18+1 = 19 (I assume one more failed roll at the end).

Under the normal rules these two jump sequences would score 22 and 18 instead. You could say a lot of dice rolling (slow in PBF) for little effect as player scores will tend to be close together.

So your rules will indeed better reward risk. My only gripe is the thematic disconnect (you could score more despite clearing a lower height than an opponent).

I also analysed my proposal (for every 3 attempts made, deduct 1 from all future attempts) against these dice rolls and jump sequences. Scores were 18 vs 16 respectively. Nicely thematic but it gets hard to clear high heights and won't help in getting a larger spread of player scores (needed to make the event more interesting).

What do others think?

As the rules are now, there is very little strategy for this event. It practically plays itself. It also takes forever. Rewarding skip bonuses speeds the game up because most people will skip 10 and/or 12 with that incentive. I would much rather sacrifice a tiny bit of theme for more compelling gameplay.

But if you really need theme, consider this: jumping less means you're less fatigued for the next round. The skip bonus is actually points earned in the next round because of all that spare energy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Der Das wrote:
As a scoring system, Erik's proposal is pretty sound. But I also dislike the thematic problem of higher jumps possibly scoring lower.

Perhaps the extra jumps made should count as negatives in case of ties? Perhaps counting as -0.1 per extra jump compared to the best of the tied (with the least total jumps)?

You don't want to take away more points from an event that's pretty low scorng except for the remarkably lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always controversy at the Olympics... Give a dice game to geeks and see what happens. And mention theme at your own peril.

Maybe I should just modify my proposed variant to give a -1 penalty after every four attempts. There's also been an interesting proposal to penalise players doing many jumps in the next event, the 400m. But let's not experiment here.

It looks like we'll have two games going, so I suggest one with the official rules and one with erak's modified high jump rules. But if everyone wants the modified high jump I can live with that, no problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in, if there's still space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
solove wrote:
I'm in, if there's still space.

Definitely, welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
urbanus wrote:
Always controversy at the Olympics... Give a dice game to geeks and see what happens. And mention theme at your own peril.

Just wait 'til you hear about my blood doping expansion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far we have:

Bart (urbanus)
Stephen (steckman)
Alfred (Der Das)
Avri (nycavri)
Erik (erak)
Robert (BankofDracula)
James (solove)
Francis (weishaupt)

More participants are welcome, we can create 3 groups/games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please thumb this post if you prefer playing with erak's modified high jump rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please thumb this post if you prefer playing with the official high jump rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.