Razel M
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BSG 555 - Mandala in the Clouds
5-Player Ionian Nebula Game

Welcome to BSG 527 - Among the Ruins. This will be a play-by-forum game in the style established by ColtsFan76. Thanks go to him for starting this. Thanks also to Orphius, JasperHawk, and Mawkee for their work on the mod tools that will be used.

This introductory text is copied mostly from ed_hennessy whose moderated games first got me interested in the PBF format.

Rules and Guidelines:

d10-1 In order to participate, you must own a copy of game.

FFG request. If you need card text at some point, just GeekMail me.

d10-2 You are expected to subscribe to this thread and to check in at least once evey 24 hours, preferably more.

If it's your turn to do something... at 18 hours, I'll send a reminder. At 36, I'll make your decision for you. If this happens too much, I'll replace you. If you warn me or the thread about slow play, we'll be patient. =)

Nothing drives me crazier than seeing someone logged in today but didn't post when we are waiting on them. Please, please, subscribe and check daily!

Do note that if there is active discussion concerning your current turn you will not be rushed.

d10-3 All communication between players must follow typical play-by-forum conventions when posting.

I moderate multiple games, so please help me and your fellow players out by identifying your character in every post. Banners created by DukeOfEarl et al. are available here. If you are mobile, please type your character name at the top of your post. Other pictures for adding flavor can be found in this compilation.

Leave regular discussion in a plain font, in-character flavor text in italics, and actions you wish to take in bold. Be especially conscious of the bolding of your actions; I will not execute an action if it isn't bolded.

d10-4 When sending me a GeekMail, please include the game number, your character name, and a description in the subject line.

Example: "BSG 555 (Starbuck) - Admiral's Quarters Skill Check"
Again, I moderate more than one game at a time and need to keep track. Please help me make fewer mistakes!

d10-5 Do not edit your posts.

Please do not edit posts unless you are quickly fixing a typo immediately after posting. Instead, simply make a new post stating what you would have changed. This is to prevent confusion (both for me and your fellow players).

d10-6 Do not quote posts from more than one page back.

Just because you can go back and look doesn't mean it's cool to do so. In real life, you probably aren't keeping track *that* closely.

d10-7 Respect the secrecy rules.

I suggest everyone take a look at the official "Secrecy Clarifications" document, the last page of the Official FAQ.
In particular, please make sure you don't:
* Say "medium" if you only played one card.
* Talk about scouted cards beyond good or bad.
* Identify what cards (or even what colors) you played into a skill check.
* Volunteer what cards are in your hand unless it is relevant to the situation.

On Conditional Orders

COs are fantastic--they speed up the game immensely. Send me COs for anything and everything. Do NOT post COs in the thread though.

I will assume the following unless you tell me otherwise:

Character Abilities
Helo's ECO Officer - If you have not used it this turn, and we are handling a crisis, I will always reroll if the roll failed humanity's cause. I will NOT automatically reroll during your action step unless you say otherwise.
Helo's Moral Compass - I will never assume or pause unless it has been discussed previously in the round. If you are considering the use of this, leave me a CO.
Starbuck's Secret Destiny - I will not pause for this unless someone mentions it during the round. I will only allow it through the interrupt phase. Once cards are contributed into the actual skill check, Secret Destiny cannot be used. If you want to use it, leave me a CO.
Cally's Quick Fix - I will assume you will always want to use this and pause for your choice.

Cards
I will not pause for Political Prowess, Declare Emergency, Major Victory, Run Interference, Calculations, or Sabotage (in the case of a revealed Cylon). If you hold one of these cards and may wish to use it, please leave a CO.

I will not pause for Strategic Planning on
a. Launch Scout unless there is only one raptor remaining
b. attacks by vipers
c. any rolls that would aid the Cylons.

I will not pause for Evasive Maneuvers unless
a. the viper is destroyed,
b. the viper is manned,
c. the viper is the last ship protecting a civilian, or
d. there are 2 or fewer undamaged vipers left.

TANKING
I will allow the use of "Tank" during the interrupt phase. This means "Pass on interrupts AND the check if everyone else before me passes." As soon as someone plays cards into the check, "Tank" is nullified. You may also declare "Tank" in public but CO cards to play in private.

Let's have some fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Razel M
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I have found that Ionian Nebula games can be extremely tough on the humans--or you end up with only 1 Cylon. Either way is unbalanced in my opinion.

To remedy, I propose the following modifications.

1. If the last card in the loyalty deck is "You are a Cylon" lower each resource by 1 at the end of the game, before winners are declared.
2. Include the Pegasus but not the CFB.

I will leave it to the players to decide whether you would like these house rules or not. I will also leave it to the players to decide whether they wish to include Daybreak.

However, hard rule: Cain is not playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Razel M
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Invited:
kandiru - declined
ChannelDelibird
pseudotheist - declined
kingerc - IN
THN Wraith - IN

Alternates:
explodinglikethesun - IN
Asahi - IN
Desonos - declined
Mettaton
larabair - declined
KradDrol
lolcese - declined
raster51 - provisionally IN, pending ChannelDelibird

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Razel M
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only confirmed players should respond to this poll...I reserve the right to break any ties.

Poll
Which elements shall we include?
  Must have Okay Don't care Prefer not NOPE Vote Count
Pegasus (ship) 0.0% (0) 80.0% (4) 20.0% (1) 0.0% (0) 0.0% (0) 5
CFB 20.0% (1) 80.0% (4) 0.0% (0) 0.0% (0) 0.0% (0) 5
Single Cylon house rule 20.0% (1) 60.0% (3) 20.0% (1) 0.0% (0) 0.0% (0) 5
Daybreak 0.0% (0) 20.0% (1) 40.0% (2) 20.0% (1) 20.0% (1) 5
Total Voters 5
This poll is now closed.   5 answers
Poll created by zelarvi
Closes: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THN Wraith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the invite. I've been wanting to play an Ionian Nebula game for a while so I'm definitely IN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in!

I'm strongly in favor of the first rule; it's how my regular group plays in any game using Exodus' extra loyalty card.

However, I'm leaning against the second at the moment. Exodus adds a bunch of crisis cards to the deck, none of which are CACs. Obviously, if you're not playing with the CFB, none of the CAG Chooses are in the game, but I think that still leaves 34 extra non-CAC cards. Comparing to P+D games, this dilutes the percentage of CACs by around 25% (and it only gets worse if you don't include Pegasus and/or Daybreak), making it more likely that we never or rarely see CACs in the game.

As for other options, my preferences:
1) If we do use the CFB we should probably include Pegasus (for Pegasus) or Daybreak (for Assault Raptors) to help with the fleet. I would prefer not to use all three expansions with the CFB (purely for variety's sake).
2) We should have at least one of Pegasus or Daybreak, or house rule the Resurrection Ship (as Exodus doesn't have the new Cylon Locations overlay).

Otherwise, I'm indifferent as to expansions / Conflicted Loyalties.

TL;DR: I'd prefer the CFB, either Pegasus or Daybreak (not both), and the solo cylon house rule. Indifferent on Conflicted Loyalties (if that's being considered).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korvin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am happy to join, if needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Ingrams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for invite, I'm also in if there is space
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Razel M
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Asahi and explodinglikethesun, you are definitely in. We are only waiting on ChannelDelibird. If he is in, then we will launch as soon as everyone has voted in the poll and our options are decided. Otherwise, I will continue searching for alternates.

Speaking of options, I knew I was forgetting something...I think I will veto PG/FF if that's okay. I think they play best when both are included, but IN is hard enough without PG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With no Conflicted Loyalties, we could just house rule away the extra Exodus loyalty rather than having to worry about a solo Cylon (especially if we don't end up running with Pegasus, so no Airlock).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Rice
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Skyrim 2 is coming, right? Yes, I know Skyrim is Elder Scrolls 5...
badge
Not a Cylon
mbmbmbmbmb
The house rules look fine. I'm only interested playing (as alternate) if we use Daybreak - want to exercise a few of those characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korvin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately I dont own Daybreak yet. So, if Daybreak is choosen, I would have to pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Rice
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Skyrim 2 is coming, right? Yes, I know Skyrim is Elder Scrolls 5...
badge
Not a Cylon
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got invited to 556, which is more what I wanted (all expansions), and that way I don't conflict with anyone else not wanting Daybreak ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lara bair
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to but between finishing up 500 and my first modding job I'll have to decline. Maybe next time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Pérez
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello everybody, I'm IN, thank you :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Olcese
Argentina
Córdoba
Córdoba
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, but I will decline, I don't know Ionian Nebula
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THN Wraith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
mbmbmbmbmb
lolcese wrote:
Thanks, but I will decline, I don't know Ionian Nebula

Neither do I, that's why I said yes to joining this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Razel M
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A provisional welcome to raster51! Technically ChannelDelibird has about 16 more hours, so we'll wait for his response. However, might as well get the ball rolling the rest of the way.

The results of the poll are in: we will have the Battlestar Pegasus, the Cylon Fleet Board, and we will play with the solo Cylon handicap.

Let's do turn order so we can start character selection. COs are encouraged for this part. If you don't want to send me your initial 3-card draw until you see your loyalty, that is fine, but you can also CO this choice (if I'm a Cylon, draw X, if human draw Y).

Highest goes first:
kingerc 1d100 = (28) = 28
THN Wraith 1d100 = (6) = 6
Asahi 1d100 = (99) = 99
explodinglikethesun 1d100 = (79) = 79
ChannelDelibird/raster51 1d100 = (17) = 17

Asahi, you're up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 930341. zelarvi
  • 1d100 =
  • (28) =
  • kingerc
  • Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:07 pm
  • [+]
  • 930342. zelarvi
  • 1d100 =
  • (6) =
  • THN Wraith
  • Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:08 pm
  • [+]
  • 930343. zelarvi
  • 1d100 =
  • (99) =
  • Asahi
  • [+]
  • 930344. zelarvi
  • 1d100 =
  • (79) =
  • explodinglikethesun
  • [+]
  • 930345. zelarvi
  • 1d100 =
  • (17) =
  • ChannelDelibird/raster51
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify: are we playing with the Pegasus expansion, or just the ship?

If the latter, a couple questions:
1) Does Investigative Committee reveal Destiny?
2) Do revealed/revealing Cylons automatically pass off extra Loyalty cards, or do they need to use the action on Resurrection Ship to do so?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Razel M
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ahh. The Pegasus expansion in its entirety. I have no good way of putting the ship alone in play. So we follow all Pegasus/Exodus combined rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of us who may be more familiar with games including Daybreak, I wrote a quick primer on what's different in Pegasus + Exodus games in Re: BSG 552 - The Circle.

Basically, no Mutinies, no Assault Raptors, and no Miracle Tokens; the base game version of Colonial One; and Pegasus Treachery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Razel M
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

kingerc wrote:
For those of us who may be more familiar with games including Daybreak, I wrote a quick primer on what's different in Pegasus + Exodus games in Re: BSG 552 - The Circle.

Was gonna do something similar, but hey, why remake the wheel... whistle

Thank you for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Razel M
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

One more thing--I would like to rule that no discussion of ally tokens may occur. It's because it's too difficult to not reveal too much information. I'll add this to the main post above for reference.

Another thing I've seen kingerc and other mods do that I quite like is a specialized list of COs including the abilities for each character you've selected. This too will be added to the main post when I'm finishing the setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korvin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boldly I choose Helo.

I havent played him for so long!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Sivari
msg tools
Looks like you got all the players you need, just checking in to not get marked non-responsive. Have fun! <3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [45] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.