GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
20 Days Left
I may be wrong in my thinking but as I browse through the decks on cardgamedb.com, I don't see much decks utilising Hastur cards from the Mark of Madness. I was hoping to see some published decks in order to get some ideas how these cards can be used and to determine whether it will be worth for me to purchase the last deluxe CoC expansions.
So two questions I have here.
1. Is the dearth/lack of decks using Hastur cards stem from the fact that when FFG announced the discontinuation of publishing further CoC expansions has led many players to stop buying the latest expansion which is The Mark of Madness?
2. Does anyone has any good decks that include cards (whether Hastur or non-Hastur) from The Mark of Madness that they are willing to share here? Would appreciate if you can give us the decklist and commentary on how the deck can be played.
1. I would be speculating to say so. I know that everyone in my little play group at the time bought Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game – The Mark of Madness, even those who had skipped earlier boxed expansions.
2. My most recent deck for Hastur was a pretty straightforward Conspiracy deck that used Opening Night and Serpents to complete the Terror barrage and add some flexibility:
1x Hastur (The Mark of Madness) 8-8
1x The Thing in the Yellow Mask (The Thousand Young) 4-4
1x A Scheme of Byakhees (The Mark of Madness) 4-4
2x Shadow Eater (Aspirations of Ascension) 4-2
1x Erich Zann (The Spawn of the Sleeper) 3-3
1x Keeper of Dreams (Journey to Unknown Kadath) 3-3
3x Nightstalker (Whispers in the Dark) 3-3
2x Demon Lover (Core Set) 2-2
3x Messenger from Beyond (Core Set) 2-1
3x Drawing the Sign (The Mark of Madness) 2-S
1x San Servolo (Terror in Venice) 1-S
3x Acute Melancholia (The Mark of Madness) 1-E
3x Opening Night (The Mark of Madness) 1-C
1x Yig (Screams from Within) 5-4
2x Feathered Serpent (Murmurs of Evil) 4-3
1x Mandy Aurel (The Mark of Madness) 3-4
1x Don Lagorio (Terror in Venice) 3-3
1x Mutant Spawn (Conspiracies of Chaos) 3-3
3x Brood of Yig (Whispers in the Dark) 2-2
2x Naaginn (Touched by the Abyss) 2-2
3x Degenerate Serpent Cultist (The Wailer Below) 1-2
3x Non-Euclidean Geometry (For the Greater Good) 0-S
3x Sibilant Cry (Written and Bound) 3-E
1x Disguised Threat (The Cacophony) 1-E
3x Pulled Under (Core Set) 0-E
1x Ol' Lazy Eyes (Conspiracies of Chaos) 2-1
Thanks for sharing. This is definitely something I can look into to help with my deck-building.
My feeling (and this is admittedly skewed towards competitive players) was that most/all of the players I know bought the Hastur box. But, due to the announcement of the game being cancelled the tournament scene feel off which meant less drive to develop and publish new decks.
I'm sure plenty of decks have been made, but with the game ended discussion has fallen off quite sharply. At this point I think a lot of people would have to do some rummaging around to find their Hastur box deck lists too - it's been long enough that it's been sitting on the shelf for a while now.
I think David has the gist of it. The cardgamedb forums slowed to a crawl almost immediately upon the game's cancelation, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Deck-building games thrive on fresh ideas, an influx of new cards and (no matter how much some players don't like it) the head-to-head competition of organized tournament play. Though on second thought, perhaps the forums are eternally sleeping, waiting for new cultists to post their own deck ideas? Why not build a Hastur deck yourself, write up how it works/why you made the choices you did, and post it in the decks section?
I will say that in my final Cthulhu tournament, which took place just a few weeks after The Mark of Madness was released, 5 out of the 8 players were running Hastur. We had 3 mono-Hastur, 1 Hastur/Yog and 1 Hastur/Shub (me).
Overall, the mono-Hastur decks didn't fair well (I felt they relied too much on getting out Hastur), which is probably why none of them were posted online. The Hastur/Yog combo was a solid deck, coming in 4th place and losing only to the 1st and 2nd place finishers (and his game against me was very close). It can be found here.
My deck went 3-1, taking second place and losing only to the undefeated winner (who was running a fun Yog/Silver Twilight deck). You can read about it here.
- Last edited Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:29 pm (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:27 pm