$5.00
$15.00
$30.00
$20.00
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pending removal at the request of the OP.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve99 wrote:
Re
https://youtu.be/QWpHeCJS3b8

Is anyone else offended by this small minded guy trying to rewrite boardgaming history?

For the last two years he has been trying to convince anyone who would listen that GenCon was alway equal to or bigger than Essen. A real twerp in the gaming community, if ever there was one. Essen has traditionally been way bigger.


You do realise that you're actually just promoting for him by linking to one of his videos?

I've not watched it, so don't know what he said, but I'd suggest you use the actual comment system, handily built in to Youtube, to argue your point. Rabbly rousing on here just makes you look bad, not him.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve99 wrote:
Re
https://youtu.be/QWpHeCJS3b8

Is anyone else offended by this small minded guy trying to rewrite boardgaming history?

For the last two years he has been trying to convince anyone who would listen that GenCon was alway equal to or bigger than Essen. A real twerp in the gaming community, if ever there was one. Essen has traditionally been the biggest global boardgames convention ever.


He said it was neck and neck with Essen or maybe bigger. He said he didn't know and that it didn't really matter..hardly sounds like he's trying to "convince" anyone, certainly not enough to be offended by.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Essen has been the biggest global convention for decades and still is.

To have this guy who has never been to GenCon and probably never been to Essen, repeat his folly year after year does a disservice to the boardgaming community.

He says he doesnt care bit clearly he does as he is the only one making such outlandish claims.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jjfalzone wrote:
Steve99 wrote:
Re
https://youtu.be/QWpHeCJS3b8

Is anyone else offended by this small minded guy trying to rewrite boardgaming history?

For the last two years he has been trying to convince anyone who would listen that GenCon was alway equal to or bigger than Essen. A real twerp in the gaming community, if ever there was one. Essen has traditionally been the biggest global boardgames convention ever.


He said it was neck and neck with Essen or maybe bigger. He said he didn't know and that it didn't really matter..hardly sounds like he's trying to "convince" anyone, certainly not enough to be offended by.


...clearly a modern day Hitler then whistle

Steve99 wrote:
Essen has been the biggest global convention for decades and still is.

To have this guy who has never been to GenCon and probably never been to Essen, repeat his folly year after year does a disservice to the boardgaming community.

He says he doesnt care bit clearly he does.


I think it's clear who cares and who doesn't here shake
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve99 wrote:
Essen has been the biggest global convention for decades and still is.

To have this guy who has never been to GenCon and probably never been to Essen, repeat his folly year after year does a disservice to the boardgaming community.

He says he doesnt care bit clearly he does.


Obviously this an important topic for you, which is fine, but I honestly don't see how a guy merely conjecturing that one convention is possibly larger than another is doing a disservice to the community. I don't really see the impact other than on ego. I have in fact heard other reviewers share similar opinions. I think we can all agree that the fact that there are two gaming conventions that are that big is a good thing for the hobby, and which is bigger is really irrelevant.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok let's not let facts get in the way of a good story.

Essen 910 exhibitors from 41 nations attended by 162,000 in 2015 versus Gencon the biggest North American games convention attended by 62,000.

Clearly this guy has a parochial North American view of the world and is misrepresenting it year after year.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiel#/search

Take note or don't, the choice is yours. I just felt the need to put the facts forward being that he mislead everyone by suggesting the stats said otherwise.

My work here is done. Signing off.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Henry
United Kingdom
Wellington
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Does he not greatly prefer Amerithrash games? Do most big Amerithrash games not get released at GenCon rather than Essen? Whereas Essen being the largest Expo in Europe has a greater release of new Euro games.

So from his perspective since more games that interest him are released at GenCon he will perceive it as the biggest convention.

He's entitled to his opinion, and you are entitled to your own. There's really no reason to use disparaging language to try and discredit his position. If you want to tell him that you disagree with any particular point you could always reply to one of his videos, or send him an e-mail.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I have toned down my origial statement which I agree was too personal. As for the rest its merely fact versus his unsupported opinion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve99 wrote:
Ok let's not let facts get in the way of a good story.

Essen 910 exhibitors from 41 nations attended by 162,000 in 2015 versus Gencon the biggest North American games convention attended by 62,000.

Clearly this guy has a parochial North American view of the world and is misrepresenting it year after year.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiel#/search

Take note or don't, the choice is yours. I just felt the need to put the facts forward being that he mislead everyone by suggesting the stats said otherwise.

My work here is done. Signing off.



I think you are comparing numbers collected in different ways. If I understand correctly Gencon counts individual badges sold while Essen counts turnstile (meaning every time the same person comes back in they get counted again) so your 162,000 for Essen, in theory, could be 54,000 people who each went in three times. I won't argue vendor numbers or even that Essen isnt bigger. No one is saying your facts are wrong. I think the problem was that you seem to be tilting at windmills by making this reviewer's opinion seem more like some sort of agenda, rather than an off the cuff remark, and resorting to name calling.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve99 wrote:
My work here is done. Signing off.
Did you do the same work in the YouTube comments? If so, Bravo!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gen Con's turnstile attendance last year was 197,695.

http://www.gencon.com/press/2015postshow
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Not the avatar you're looking for
mbmbmbmbmb
I find this thread incredibly bizarre.
25 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:
Gen Con's turnstile attendance last year was 197,695.

http://www.gencon.com/press/2015postshow


/thread.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Offended... there is that word again.. No im not.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is possibly the least offensive thing I have seen on the Internet.

"Guy makes off hand comment about con he likes being the biggest." This is not the scandal you seem to think it is.

Especially when I'm not sure if you're even correct. I can't find how Essen are measuring attendence. If it's turnstile rather than unique, it is entirely possible that Gen Con is slightly bigger - they have turnstile attendence of 197,695.

It's also entirely irrelevant, but it seems to matter to you. So you probably want to check that you're comparing like with like, because if you're not you're getting outraged on a false premise.

Just so you know, someone liking a convention that isn't eurogame dominated isn't in fact an attack on eurogames or you personally.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JBH1 wrote:
Does he not greatly prefer Amerithrash games? Do most big Amerithrash games not get released at GenCon rather than Essen? Whereas Essen being the largest Expo in Europe has a greater release of new Euro games.


I'm offended by your insistence on pretending "Amerithrash" is a real thing.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm offended by my lack of pop-corn to enjoy this thread, while I go shopping this morning ...

By the way, I have searched few minutes and apparently Gencon is 195 000 entrances and Essen 162 000 but no info on the number of unique visitors for Essen so the comparison is hard.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donal Behal
Ireland
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having attended both conventions I can say that it is not fair to compare the fairs as they are completely different. However at this stage I would say GENCON attendance is higher.

ESSEN is just card and boardgames, there might be some stalls with minis and RPGS but is a very small sample of what is there. Imagine having a massive vendor hall and then another and another... That is ESSEN in a nutshell, no extra activities everything happens between 10AM (doors open) and 6PM (Doors close) no additional rooms for demos (most of them unscheduled, first come first served) happening at the vendor's booth, also there are no official events organised for playing outside the fair.

One of the halls holds the European Comic Action (sort of a very watered down comic con) with lots of anime and comic related items and there is another hall for LARPS with foam weapons, leather items and lovely mead to buy and drink.

Most gamers that stay in hotels will play their purchases in hotel meeting rooms until late and that goes on every night, hotels welcome this as they serve food and beer. Transport with the U-BAHN is great so you can even stay away from the fair grounds and travel fairly cheaply around the city.

GENCON has a complete different feel, you can pre-book your games, there are RPGS, Mimiature, CCGS so many tournament, a game library, game rooms... I miss that in ESSEN, big time. There is more diversity and lots of activities you can do like the films, the authors, the podcasting, artist corner even the little kids corner I thought it was such a great idea.

One thing about GENCON is great for getting the game in English, I had acquired a couple of games more dependant on text than I thought and working out translation can be problematic, but publishers have gotten better and better at making the games language independent.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Harrison
United States
Beavercreek
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gencon's turnstile attendance has surpassed Spiel's since 2013. Spiel has about twice as many exhibitors though, so it depends what measure you want to compare.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This might just be the most ridiculous topic about which to get this upset that I've ever seen on the interwebs. It ranks right up there with the sort of thing my 8 year old throws fits about.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How dare he! I am so offended..wait..what? He suggested that Gencon might be bigger than Essen. That is all? Putting away my pitchfork and dousing my torch.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Steve99 owes BGG an apology for his perfidious attempts to rewrite board gaming history.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
I think that Steve99 owes BGG an apology for his perfidious attempts to rewrite board gaming history.


Plus he lives in Oceania and tries to contest which one of an American and a European boardgame con is the bigger ... Looks suspicious to me !



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve99 wrote:
Re
https://youtu.be/QWpHeCJS3b8

Is anyone else offended by this guy trying to rewrite boardgaming history?

For the last two years he has been trying to convince anyone who would listen that GenCon was alway equal to or bigger than Essen. Essen has traditionally been the biggest global boardgames convention ever.


Why the fuck do I care about what this dude says about a boardgame convention?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.