Germany
flag msg tools
Hi,

I am on the fence about this game. I like how thematic this game looks and I really like Star Wars (who doesn't? )

But I have some concerns:

- Is this game really a two player game with tacked on team rules?
- I generally don't like wargames (played Battle of Five Armies this weekend and found it too aggressive/competitive and therefor exhausting), how does SW:R differ here?
- I don't mind the game length, but I need to be sure that beginners can have fun with the first game, which means that the experience is more important than winning the game. Does this game give such an experience?
- It doesn't look like that this game has too many small rules that need to be remembered. Is this correct?

In general I am looking for an immersive 2vs2 team game where the experience is important, regardless who wins.

Many thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
- Is this game really a two player game with tacked on team rules?
Erm ... yes. It is. I filed that as 2-player game.

- I generally don't like wargames (played Battle of Five Armies this weekend and found it too aggressive/competitive and therefor exhausting), how does SW:R differ here?
It is not a wargame. Although you have to fight battles and you can annihilate whole planets with your Death Star. Just like in the movies. It's no game for pacifists. meeple

- I don't mind the game length, but I need to be sure that beginners can have fun with the first game, which means that the experience is more important than winning the game. Does this game give such an experience?
Yes! This game is a fantastic experience and I had fun from the first minute on! Even when I lose, I talk about that particular game days later!

- It doesn't like that this game has too many small rules that need to be remembered. Is this correct?
No. I was able to memorize all rules for my first play. All "small rules" are on the cards itself.

May the Force be with you mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-it is mostly a 2-player game, but the 4-player game isnt bad and feels slightly different.
-the game feels like reliving the movies regarding action and suspense, sure there is competition but each side will enjoy its moments
-it is definitely enjoyable, beginners may be overwhelmed by all the possible move options but playing it is fun. using one of the fan-made reference sheets will greatly help.
-the game is moderate in difficulty, there are a few rules but once you get the hang of them you will rarely consult the rulebook. you really get to plan your strategy instead of worrying about the rules

it mostly depends your taste but if you like starwars and like strategy with epic moments then this game is a good buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely say it's a 2 player game. The 4 player version isn't great.

Despite the piles of plastic troops and spaceships there are surprisingly few battles. I mean, fighting does play a part but it's not the main thrust of the game.

I would say there's a danger with your first game of the Imperial player(s) liking it and the rebel player(s) getting absolutely crushed and therefore having less of a good time. I wouldn't say that the two sides are particularly imbalanced but it's certainly more obvious how to play the Imperials and so for the first game that player will more than likely have an advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks for your responses...

I just read through the forums and some mentioned that team player is better for having a more relaxed social and lesser competitive experience... do you agree with that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it a few times now four player and it works just fine with four as a two vs two game where you jointly control the teams. It's probably slightly better one on one but the game is still a lot of fun with four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite way to play it is with four players. When I play it two player, I actually use the four player rules. It's a minor change, but it adds an interesting restriction on how you can order your leaders... which makes the game more interesting. I wouldn't play this way to start learning the game.

Playing two player is one thing, but being able to commiserate and work out the order of your operations is fascinating. Also, you have someone to cackle in glee with as you plan out your strategy for the round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I seldom play 2 player games, I had the same question but took the plunge anyway.

And it turns out to be fine at 3 and 4 players.

Unlike Joel we found the 4 player rules restrictions unessesarily constraining.
Essentially the only "problem" with it as a team game is that IF you have a team of two players who both want to be "in charge" the game has special team rules, which essentially put one player in charge of the navy and one player in charge of the armies. This can cause some strategic constraints (your team ends up unable to play two navy based leaders in a row, for example).

If you can actually play in a team without this "alpha player" type issue then you can totally ignore the special team rules (save the rule about all discussions must be in the room, which is vital to keeping the time down) and just play it as two cooperative teams, and it works fine.

Because there will be more discussion a 3 or 4 player game will always be longer than that of 2 quick players.

I am biased, but I really prefer it at 3 and 4 players.

E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer 2-player game.

But THE 3/4 player game is really good.
Not only does it play very differently cause you get two actions in one go, like other menner said, leader order and Numbers of leaders in General and admiral makes for a whole new strategic level of play.

3/4 player game makes it a deeper strategic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
the 4 player game is great. Don't listen to the people saying 2 player is bad. Apparently they hate co-op games which is confusing to me. It's competitive co-op. Just with a lot more to think about than a usual co op as you have separate responsibilities and power. 4 player adds a lot of depth into the game with it's changed turn structure and leader differentiation.

People's complaints against this game as 4 player are literally "You play on the same team. Therefore it's a bad 4 player game." Which honestly is ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mb
David Umstattd wrote:
the 4 player game is great. Don't listen to the people saying 2 player is bad. Apparently they hate co-op games which is confusing to me. It's competitive co-op. Just with a lot more to think about than a usual co op as you have separate responsibilities and power. 4 player adds a lot of depth into the game with it's changed turn structure and leader differentiation.

People's complaints against this game as 4 player are literally "You play on the same team. Therefore it's a bad 4 player game." Which honestly is ridiculous.

I don't think that is the criticism of most people. I believe they are saying that the mechanisms involved introduce some time and clunkiness in the decision points (an extra layer of strategy to those who like them, granted) to what is already a game involving lots of secretive planning. I love SW: Rebellion two player and am very eager to try it with four players but I have heard those who like and don't like so much the three/four player counts. There are so many fantastic three player and four player games, though, that I won't be disappointed if it doesn't click for me at those player counts; I will treasure it as an extraordinary two player experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hyland

Waterville
Maine
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:

I think that's how it started. People just assumed it was no good because it takes the 2 player game and divides the responsibilities out. And I think most people who were saying that hadn't played it with 4 either before saying it.

I had dismissed it with 4 too after reading what people were saying about it without ever having played it with 4. I like cooperative planning and interaction so I think I'd like it with 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Just have my first team (4p) game last week. It was interesting. The slight changes to activation allows for some interesting combo. We didn't really divide up responsibilities between the two leaders on the same side, we generally made decisions together. It's fun to strategise with another player. I suggest you try it before dismissing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elihu Feustel
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
The 3/4 player game is very good. It is good enough that it's worth playing with those rules with just 2 players.

With 4 players, there is no secret talking. Whatever a team is considering, the other team can hear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mb
daringly wrote:
The 3/4 player game is very good. It is good enough that it's worth playing with those rules with just 2 players.

With 4 players, there is no secret talking. Whatever a team is considering, the other team can hear.

...though per the rules team members may "whisper." They just cannot leave the room. Looking forward to my first four player session soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Not everyone who doesn't like the 3/4 player mode is just saying it without playing it, or because they hate co-ops. Neither one is true for me.

I've played it that way, didn't care for it. It felt clunky and arbitrary in how the division of powers was divided and was more frustrating than enjoyable. The mechanics felt tacked on and not a fluid extension of the 2-player rules.

It didn't ruin the game, but I'd rather stick with this as a 2p game. If I had more than 2, I may not outright turn it down, but I'd probably rather play something else.

I like co-ops (if the game itself is good, of course) and I enjoy team games. This one was one that just fell flat for me as such.

It's obviously going to vary for each person/group, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.