Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the week behind us it's time to post your week's mini-session reports and stories to answer our favorite question:

mbmbWhat did you play this week?

mbAdditional WDYPTW information:

mbmbtobacco This week's WDYPTW Geeklist
mbmbtobacco WDYPTW subscription thread
mbmbtobacco The WDYPTW Guild
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too many light weeks of gaming around here this year...

Thursday
1x - Patchwork

Friday
1x - Castles of Burgundy

Saturday
1x - CoB:TCG - New!

I had hoped to get T.I.M.E Stories to the table this week but as I mentioned the plans fell through. I'm hoping we might find a time this coming week to get it to the table. In the mean time I hope my wife and I can get back to my 10x10 challenge and some of our unplayed games.

meeple Keep playing...
BK's Hardcore 10x10 in 2016 List at 50/100
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GANDON François
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Artifacts, Inc.
Masons

... and, unexpectedly, a few first rounds of Eldritch Horror with my wife who:

1- does not feel to play games that last over 90 mn,
2 - is not fond at all of Cthulhu in particular and Lovecraft in general
3 - does not like coop games

I guess she wanted to please me as I got the game as a birthday present two years ago and had never had the chance to give it a try.

Well now it is done, we know how to play it... and will probably never go back to it again, unfortunately.

But that was nice of her to at least go through the setup, the deciphering of the rule book and play a couple of turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Battlestar Galatica with a mate who had recently had a stoke (and was severely disabled anyway).

It was a disaster (he turned out to be the Cylon and the Cylon sympathizer) and we lost the game in under 3 hours.

To cut a long story short, on about the fifth crisis card we got a boarder, and then every damn time we repaired the armory it got taken out again. Most of use spent at least one turn (and one one occasion most of the humans) in the med bay. The president (myself, Gias Balter), who was human) and the admiral kept on getting crisis cards which meant they had to discard five cards.

But we had made four jumps.

Then yesterday I was told he had died.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4 days of gaming, 15 plays of 8 different games, 6 wins for me. No games for my 10x10 challenge.

Monday

Innovation 2x
Guillotine
Beasty Bar

Wednesday

Five Tribes
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King
Codenames: Pictures 4x

Thursday

Five Tribes
Quadropolis
Beasty Bar

Sunday

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization
Quadropolis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Huskvarna
Sverige
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firefly: The Game
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My condoleances slatersteven. At least you got to play a last game I guess

Then for my week of gaming.
On Monday, GF and I played Tiny Epic Galaxies. I'm enjoying this one quite a bit. I won by a landslide, though, which is hardly ever fun. Especially in a two-player game. This game has the same 'issue' as Race for the Galaxy. I take a lead and then push for game end, while she's still happily building her stuff. And she ends up with a sortof dissatisfied 'over already?' feeling. She still likes it, though

On Thursday, we pulled out T.I.M.E Stories and T.I.M.E Stories: The Marcy Case. We had played, and greatly enjoyed, the base game scenario. But didn't yet get a chance to play this case. We planned it a couple of times, but then either one of us was tired, it was late, you name it. And due to the one-off nature of the cases, we wanted to go into it fresh So we finally managed to take the time to play. We did two runs on Thursday, and another three on Friday. Not quite as good as the Asylum case, but we still had a great deal of fun. And I ended up ordering T.I.M.E Stories: A Prophecy of Dragons and T.I.M.E Stories: Under the Mask immediately
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Busy week with work and baseball means no games.

But, finished with a very fun Sunday including:

Patchwork x2. Swept by my wife, who killed me in the first game, then beat me to the 7x7 bonus by one move in the second. 55 total plays.

San Juan (second edition) x2. Same story, beat by 7 points in each game, the second one featuring a 15 point Bank. Ugh. 7 total plays.

Animals on Board x3. Some friends were over and I was eager to play this one with them since the rules are so straightforward. At first it feels like there's no strategy but it quickly becomes evident and then can turn mean if people are too obvious in what they want. First game my wife beat me through the tiebreaker, second game I won and the third game one of our friends won. Looking forward to playing this more. 3 total plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Dodger
United States
River Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturday the 23rd
1x Caylus
1x Keyflower
1x Viticulture with Tuscany: Expand the World of Viticulture

Sunday the 24th
1x Caylus
1x Fleet using a bunch of expansions
1x Pandemic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Took Codenames to a dinner with friends this week and it was a huge hit. I also taught one of those friends how to play Checkers!

Found some time play Vikings and Tokaido too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Game
Onirim
Rolling America
Imperial Settlers w/3 Is a Magic Number expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bailey
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Slower week for me, but I did get in 2 plays of Dawn of the Zeds 3rd edition. This is a very fun/hard game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanAtta
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wednesday:
Lanterns: The Harvest Festival x1
RoboRally x1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marowske
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wednesday
1x Age of Conan: The Strategy Board Game with Age of Conan: The Strategy Board Game – Adventures in Hyboria

Friday
1x Simurgh with Simurgh: Call of the Dragonlord
1x Troyes with Troyes: Bonus Cards

Saturday
1x Legendary: Villains – A Marvel Deck Building Game with Legendary: Villains – Fear Itself
1x The Prodigals Club
1x Core Worlds with Core Worlds: Galactic Orders and Core Worlds: Revolution
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Qwerty
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturday

Colt Express
Starfarers of Catan
Exploding Kittens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Pritchett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic Legacy: Season 1
King of Tokyo x2
Animal Upon Animal x2
Small World
Star Wars: Imperial Assault
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island x2
Eldritch Horror
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WEDNESDAY:
Scythe
-Third time playing. I had to teach this time, which was a little overwhelming. I won, but that's probably just because I was the only one who had played before. I like Scythe, but it can be so much about time management, that you lose focus on what's important. Now that I've played a few times, knowing what to do, and when to do it is starting to become more clear for me. I'm also learning that Popularity can be very important.

Room 25: Season 2 1st!
-I've played Season 1 before. The changes in season 2 are interesting, including the new abilities, and new tiles. The prisoners (including myself0 won. It was fun. I enjoy this game more than I expect to, and that's a good thing.

SATURDAY:
The Castles of Burgundy
-It had been a while since I played this, so I was excited to play again. It's a fantastic game! We had one new player, and they just ran away with the game. Very fun, definitely want to play this one more in the future.

Cry Havoc 1st!
-I had been excited about this one since Ignacy announced it a while back. Finally getting to play, it's very interesting. People had said it was kind of like Kemet or Blood Rage, but I don't get that feel from it at all. It is area control and combat, but it's totally different from those games. It was a lot to take in, but it is a fairly simple game. I definitely want to play again.

Wombat Rescue1st!
-This one was interesting. I was expecting it to be more family-weight, but it's actually kinda brain-burny. You really have to plan out your route ahead of time, and hope you can make it work with the dingo coming to get you. And managing how much food you have in your belly, and knowing when and where to poop is very important. It's interesting because there were turns when I just didn't do anything so I would digets food, because I wanted to poop in a specific spot.

Yes, this game is all about poop!

Stockpile
-I always enojoy this one. Probably in my top 10 if I ever got around to making one.

Celestia 1st!
-I didn't enjoy this one that much. I don't mind hidden information in games, but I don't like it when you can't gague how far along we actually are. I also don't like how the end of the game is just "reveal, and see who wins" I want to know that what I'm doing is or isn't paying off and adjust accordingly, not just randomly find out when it's already too late. I don't think I'd play this one again, but I could be convinced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
my shoes are laced with irony
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday x1
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King x1
Mombasa x4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Gibbings
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Husband and Gamer
mbmbmb
Wizard

on saturday

then

T.I.M.E Stories: A Prophecy of Dragons

Bit of a magic theme going.

My sympathies to you and your friend's family Slatersteven
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reef Encounter x 1 [New to me]
The Voyages of Marco Polo x 1
Roll for the Galaxy (w/Ambition tiles) x 1
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game x 1
Targi x 1
Funny Bunny x 2 [New to me
Leo x 1 [New to me
Tiny Epic Galaxies x 2 (solo)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Harris
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good week of gaming with some buddies.

6 nimmt!
Android: Netrunner
Big Book of Madness
Castles of Burgundy
Codenames
Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon
The Game
Gravwell: Escape from the 9th Dimension
Kingdoms
Lifeboat
Mafia de Cuba
Mysterium
Rook
Samurai
Scythe
Stellar Conflict
Ticket to Ride (Pennsylvania map)
XCOM: The Board Games
Xenon Profiteer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle
Lords of Waterdeep
Serbien muss Sterbien
Red's
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
We played Battlestar Galatica with a mate who had recently had a stoke (and was severely disabled anyway).

It was a disaster (he turned out to be the Cylon and the Cylon sympathizer) and we lost the game in under 3 hours...

Then yesterday I was told he had died.
I'm sorry to hear about your mate, Boaty. I'm sure it will be a play session that you and your friends will remember and treasure for a long time.

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nothing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dobby
msg tools
A very Stonemaiery week!

Monday:
Scythe x1 (Solo; New to me)

Tuesday:
Scythe x1 (Solo)
Patchwork x1

Wednesday:
Scythe x2 (Solo)

Thursday:
Glass Road x1

Saturday:
Viticulture Essential Edition x5 (Solo; New to me)

I had played Viticulture before, but this was the first time playing against the Automa.

Sunday:
Scythe x1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.