Subject: Photos instead of artwork rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Coleman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might just be me, but is anyone else put off by the use of photos in this?
It always makes a game look cheap for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not at all. It entirely depends on the quality of the stills, and here they look very high quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlon Kruis
Netherlands
Pijnacker
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
No, not at all. It entirely depends on the quality of the stills, and here they look very high quality.

Agreed, when done correctly it adds to the them.
In this case it would fits in the GOT tv serie theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I would prefer artwork, but it isn't a deal breaker for me.
And my friends that are fans of the show and never touched the books will probably enjoy seeing the characters in the form they recognize.
Since this looks to be the first game of thrones game I could get my non-gamer friends to play (which isn't complete garbage) I think it might be the better choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoyrexJ9 wrote:

Of course this is the appropriate place to post this but since this comes up in every game that uses stills with the arguments then proceeding down the same paths, I cannot help but thinking that we just need a "Stills or No Stills" thread that we always link to.

But then repetitive discussion is the heartbeat of the site...and that is okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually I hate stills for artwork. However the actors are so iconic in the show, I like it here.

Also, if they used art it would game from their LCG line probably. It has some of the worse art I've ever seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally I prefer artwork to stills. Better still if the artwork is based on the live action characters.

In this instance, I don't think I'll mind so long as the quality is usual fantasy flight quality. Furthermore this will actually get me to play "Cosmic Encounter" as I couldn't get myself to like Cosmic after researching it some. the GoT universe is one I can get behind though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't really bother me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Leung
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stills are tacky... they could have done artwork that closely resemble the characters in the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
GamePlayer wrote:
JoyrexJ9 wrote:

Of course this is the appropriate place to post this but since this comes up in every game that uses stills with the arguments then proceeding down the same paths, I cannot help but thinking that we just need a "Stills or No Stills" thread that we always link to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioannis Chatzigiannelis
Greece
Ag. Paraskevi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As much I would prefer fantasy pictures, I have to admit that in the case of the Battlestar Galactica board game it looks fine and not cheap at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:
JoyrexJ9 wrote:

You are reading attitude or opinion into my post that does not exist. Take it at face value. I enjoy the discussions even when they tread familiar ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

Meh. I don't see all this incredibly high quality. Some "normal" stills cutnpasted on cards/tokens. Seems like a super-cheap solution I really dislike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It varies for me, but in this case, I prefer the photos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyromechanica wrote:
Stills are tacky... they could have done artwork that closely resemble the characters in the show.

Stills aren't always tacky. BSG and Star Wars games use them well, so I don't see a difference here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Barrett
United States
Warren
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Im glad to see it. It helps me relate to the theme and characters I know since I never read the books. Its actually one of the reasons I didnt take the plunge into the GOT LCG.

On a similar note, I never read the Walking Dead Comics so much prefer the new minis game based of off the show than the older one based off of the comic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always prefer stills, I'm sick to death of licensed games using artwork instead and have never liked the practice. I want to inhabit the headspace of the shows and movies I enjoy not someone's interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
H00D4M4N wrote:
Pyromechanica wrote:

Stills aren't always tacky. BSG and Star Wars games use them well, so I don't see a difference here.

I don't think any FFG Star Wars games do, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
H00D4M4N wrote:
Pyromechanica wrote:

The CCG did. And I think the TCG too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Orlando
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MordorFrodo wrote:
I always prefer stills, I'm sick to death of licensed games using artwork instead and have never liked the practice. I want to inhabit the headspace of the shows and movies I enjoy not someone's interpretation.

Legendary Encounters comes to mind :-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
MasterDinadan wrote:
H00D4M4N wrote:
Pyromechanica wrote:

The CCG did. And I think the TCG too.

I think he means FFG Star Wars games, all of which use artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cam T.
Canada
Victoria
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MordorFrodo wrote:

I think the problem is that there are many fans who prefer the books and characters are conceptually different than the shows portrayal (although they did pretty good). Tyrion for example is hideous in the book, but in the show he's a handsome midget!

Personally, I love seeing artists conceptions of my favourite fantasy books and would like to see it in the game too. That said, I will still get this game and I agree that sometimes it doesn't look bad (e.g. Battlestar Galactica). I love the show and books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game is small, and contained, then stills from a show/movie would be fine.

The problem with Star Wars is that the universe is so big, that if they have to reach outside of what was shown in the movies, then they have to create pseudo-CGI or photoshops to fix in the characters. i.e. - Mara Jade they had to hire an actress for her CCG card (which in that case, turned out fine). Other times, the CG stills don't match up with the stills from the films, which looks really off.

In this new GoT game, if they stick to the major houses and their characters, they should use stills from the TV show just fine. If it's the GoT LCG, to fill out all the hundreds of cards, they have no-names like a King's Landing Merchant, or a minor character from the books (like a maester) that has no on-screen equivalent. So it's better to use artwork across the entire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Ideally, I would have liked this to be illustrated but with using the show as reference... so the characters would resemble the actors, but it would have the continuity and artistic interpretation of an illustrator to make things visually pop. I don't like stills at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comparing this game to the Firefly deckbuilder gave me a new appreciation for going with show stills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.