Subject: Reducing the number of bots needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
I haven't actually played this game yet (its in the post) but I've read that you're advised to fill out the number of players to 6 (if playing with less) using civbots.

However, is it possible to cut down the map area played in to reduce the number of bots needed? i.e. don't play with north and south America to only require 4 players/civbots or even only play with north and south America if you only wanted a two player game.

Has anyone tried this or think it might work? I realise that it reduces the value of Navigation but at least it could reduce the number of civbots needed (and the maintenance they entail) if not dispense with the need for them at altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing with less than 6, I haven't been using the bots, but I still use the full map. It just increases the potential of scoring from the map but doesn't break the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too, we play 2 player, with 2 bots, full map. It's all good. And you'll find the bot AI is so simple to use that you'll probably find yourself adding/removing bots on later plays just to give a different feel to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Okay, I guess I shall just have to try it and see how it plays out. I just thought that reducing the map size might be an alternative way to "fill out" the game than adding more civ bots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon,

I'm not sure how you would "reduce the map size" without introducing an imbalance to many other aspects to the game. For instance, once you gain Navigation (along the Technology axis), you have the ability to move to any other area on the map. I wold encourage you to use the bots, even if you make them Chieftain level and thus, easy to defeat and eliminate from the game.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, I just had my first game: solo + 3 bots (all chieftain). I know I'm still getting used to the game but the thought of doing 5 civ bots at the end of each turn seemed a bit onerous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon,

Reducing the number of bots is a great idea vice limiting the map. Keep on playing...things will click and in no time, you'll up-tick one or two of those Chieftains to the next level.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.