Grant's Gamble» Forums » Rules

Subject: Lee's reaction move rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thierry Michel
France
Paris
flag msg tools
any and all units in a location with Lee can react to any Union moves in locations adjacent to them. This includes defended and undefended adjacent locations. The reactions can be one unit at a time or all at once or any combination the Confederate player chooses.

I'm not sure what "react" means, as it is defined nowhere else, as far as I can tell. Is it a normal move? is it the possibility to send a unit in the space just entered by the Union, as in the example? can it be used to retreat away from that space instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gómez Relloso
Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Thierry,

There are two clarifications in the official Clarifications/FAQ -that you may download here in BGG- that maybe will help you to understand the Reaction rule:

I understand that Lee's reaction movement (with as many units as desired) must be decided at the moment an enemy unit enters an adjacent location. That is, you cannot react into that location later (after other enemy units have moved into other different locations), unless another enemy unit moves into that same location. Correct?

Correct.

The example in the rulebook says:
The Union moves two units to attack Fredericksburg. The units with Lee could all move to Fredericksburg but the Confederate player only sends one unit in reaction, leaving two in Chancellorsville with Lee.
I understand that units are always moved one by one -as the rules say: UNIT ACTIVATION FOR MOVEMENT:The player whose turn it is activates units one at a time.-, so in the example above, when the Union moves the first unit into Fredericksburg, the Confederate player could react. When the Union moves the second unit into the same location he could react again. But if he does not react, or if he reacts (with one or more units) but later he thinks that he should have sent more units, he would not be able to do so, correct?

Correct.

Answering to your question, Reaction is NOT a "normal move", it is the possibility of ending one or more units to a location just entered by a Union unit (following its special rules).
Definitely Reaction CANNOT be used to retreat away from a space!

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.